Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default How can you stop static builtd up.

I had this problem with my Astra F estate but it only happened when I
was

a) wearing a fleece and b) wearing certain types of footwear with hiking
soles.

If I wore leather shoes, then even if they had rubbery 'commando' soles
there was never a problem.

If you are moving your chair about then perhaps it needs an earthing
strap to keep the frame in contact with the floor ?

Andrew

On 08/05/2021 09:31, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Does anyone know of a spray or something to stop static. We have a swivel
chair, one of those well padded Executive sort in fake leather, probably pvc
of some kind, and it seems whatever clothing I wear, when I've been sitting
in it a while and get up the first large chunk of metal I touch gives me a
shock,a and its so loud people can hear it across the room it even goes
through painted surfaces.
The other thing which is causing it is a cushion which seems to be filled
by a kind of fibrous material often used in Duvets, which also crackle as
you take the covers off of course so must be prone. Now I know all about
negative and positive ions and how the imbalance causes a charge etc, but
short of soaking everything in slightly saline water, I really do need to
try to cut it down. I myself don't care, but some of the more delicate
people swear its faulty wiring or something which it is not.
Brian