Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default How can you stop static builtd up.

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 9:31:43 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Does anyone know of a spray or something to stop static. We have a swivel
chair, one of those well padded Executive sort in fake leather, probably pvc
of some kind, and it seems whatever clothing I wear, when I've been sitting
in it a while and get up the first large chunk of metal I touch gives me a
shock,a and its so loud people can hear it across the room it even goes
through painted surfaces.
The other thing which is causing it is a cushion which seems to be filled
by a kind of fibrous material often used in Duvets, which also crackle as
you take the covers off of course so must be prone. Now I know all about
negative and positive ions and how the imbalance causes a charge etc, but
short of soaking everything in slightly saline water, I really do need to
try to cut it down. I myself don't care, but some of the more delicate
people swear its faulty wiring or something which it is not.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

I once had this problem with a car. Get out, close the door, and get nasty shock. I found two answers. (1) close the door using the window glass and (2) hold on to metal frame of door before putting foot to ground. This latter may be of use to you