Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Water tower to dwelling

I passed it a few months ago and I had no idea what what happening - I
saw the scaffolding and just assumed it was a bit of maintenance.

I passed it again this week and saw the new glass so did some research.

A couple of photos from tonight.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower2.jpg

You can view the planning permission here

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/plannin...cations-online

or somewhere on there

and search for

16/01858/FUL

And it looks from the photos that they have cladded the concrete instead
of cleaning it. A pity really as it distracts from the main original
design feature of the building - brutalism concrete.

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
I passed it a few months ago and I had no idea what what happening - I
saw the scaffolding and just assumed it was a bit of maintenance.

I passed it again this week and saw the new glass so did some research.

A couple of photos from tonight.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower2.jpg

You can view the planning permission here

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/plannin...cations-online

or somewhere on there

and search for

16/01858/FUL

And it looks from the photos that they have cladded the concrete instead
of cleaning it. A pity really as it distracts from the main original
design feature of the building - brutalism concrete.

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

One for 'Grand Designs'. Very brave I'd call it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
I passed it a few months ago and I had no idea what what happening - I
saw the scaffolding and just assumed it was a bit of maintenance.

I passed it again this week and saw the new glass so did some research.

A couple of photos from tonight.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower2.jpg

You can view the planning permission here

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/plannin...cations-online

or somewhere on there

and search for

16/01858/FUL

And it looks from the photos that they have cladded the concrete instead
of cleaning it. A pity really as it distracts from the main original
design feature of the building - brutalism concrete.

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...ecome-13444560

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 May 2021 at 03:14:37 BST, "williamwright"
wrote:

On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
I passed it a few months ago and I had no idea what what happening - I
saw the scaffolding and just assumed it was a bit of maintenance.

I passed it again this week and saw the new glass so did some research.

A couple of photos from tonight.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower2.jpg

You can view the planning permission here

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/plannin...cations-online

or somewhere on there

and search for

16/01858/FUL

And it looks from the photos that they have cladded the concrete instead
of cleaning it. A pity really as it distracts from the main original
design feature of the building - brutalism concrete.

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...ecome-13444560

Bill

Good on them - went for £110,000 (from a guide price of £4k).

Should think that scaffolding cost a few quid - 100k to adapt? Foundations
should be quite sturdy :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
[...]

Damned nuisance to hike those stairs when you are ancient tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 03:11, williamwright wrote:
On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
[...]

well with a tower of that height, like that, you're virtually gauranteed
a half decent DAB/FM/Freeview line of sight to various transmitters I
should think! ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 May 2021 15:24:08 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Good on them - went for £110,000 (from a guide price of £4k).
Should think that scaffolding cost a few quid - 100k to adapt? Foundations
should be quite sturdy :-)

Damned nuisance to hike those stairs when you are ancient tho.

YOU are a damned nuisance, whether with or without stairs, senile sociopath!

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 06:24, Rod Speed wrote:

"RJH" wrote in message
On 6 May 2021 at 03:14:37 BST, "williamwright"
wrote:

On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
Â*I passed it a few months ago and I had no idea what what happening
- I saw the scaffolding and just assumed it was a bit of maintenance.
Â*I passed it again this week and saw the new glass so did some
research.
Â*A couple of photos from tonight.
Â*http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower1.jpg
Â*http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower2.jpg
Â*You can view the planning permission here

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/plannin...cations-online

Â*or somewhere on there
Â*and search for
Â*16/01858/FUL
Â*And it looks from the photos that they have cladded the concrete
instead of cleaning it. A pity really as it distracts from the main
original design feature of the building - brutalism concrete.
Â*It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...ecome-13444560

Bill

Good on them - went for £110,000 (from a guide price of £4k).
Should think that scaffolding cost a few quid - 100k to adapt?
Foundations
should be quite sturdy :-)

Damned nuisance to hike those stairs when you are ancient tho.

funnily enough, some TV transmitters do have a lift within. ISTR that
Emley Moor has a lift within its concrete shaft and its one of the
tallest transmitters in the UK.

Should think its do-able to put a lift in the water tower.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright laid this down on his screen :
One for 'Grand Designs'. Very brave I'd call it.

Bill

I have seen at least one other on there, seems an awful lot of steps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
[...]

Sure but even that isnt as convenient as with a single level with the top
two floors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

ARW wrote:

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

Seems to have a letter-flap at the bottom ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Thu, 6 May 2021 19:01:49 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
Senile Rodent about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
[...]

Dick and Angela put a ?vacuum operated one in one of the corner towers
at their French Chateaux.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
I passed it a few months ago and I had no idea what what happening - I
saw the scaffolding and just assumed it was a bit of maintenance.

I passed it again this week and saw the new glass so did some research.

A couple of photos from tonight.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower2.jpg

You can view the planning permission here

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/plannin...cations-online

or somewhere on there

and search for

16/01858/FUL

And it looks from the photos that they have cladded the concrete instead
of cleaning it. A pity really as it distracts from the main original
design feature of the building - brutalism concrete.

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

And they could gone the whole hog like that Grand Design in south London
a few yeara ago which was built as crescent-shaped structure and the
owners decided to have curved double-glazed glass patio doors and
windows to match the curve of the building.

The company that made them did actually manage to get the glass
panels to curve correctly, even though they weren't sure if they could.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/05/2021 10:23, Andy Burns wrote:
RJH wrote:

ARW wrote:

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

Seems to have a letter-flap at the bottom ...

Pretty sure that is just protection tape.

But there seems to be no opening windows.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

ARW wrote:

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

Seems to have a letter-flap at the bottom ...

Pretty sure that is just protection tape.

But there seems to be no opening windows.

I'd have thought the architects might have included at least one set of
wide doors to winch up furnishings, white goods and replacement fixtures
rather than rely on the spiral staircase.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

ARW wrote:

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

Seems to have a letter-flap at the bottom ...

Pretty sure that is just protection tape.

But there seems to be no opening windows.

I'd have thought the architects might have included at least one set of
wide doors to winch up furnishings, white goods and replacement fixtures
rather than rely on the spiral staircase.

Most architects are too stupid to consider basic stuff like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/05/2021 13:33, Andrew wrote:

And they could gone the whole hog like that Grand Design in south London
a few yeara ago which was built asÂ* crescent-shaped structure and the
owners decided to have curved double-glazed glass patio doors and
windows to match the curve of the building.

It's not South London:-)

House prices are different in Yorkshire.

BTW if you buy this property one of your closest neighbours is a Mrs
Rosemary West.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

RJH wrote:

ARW wrote:

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

Seems to have a letter-flap at the bottom ...

Pretty sure that is just protection tape.

But there seems to be no opening windows.

I'd have thought the architects might have included at least one set of
wide doors to winch up furnishings, white goods and replacement fixtures
rather than rely on the spiral staircase.

King size bed was my first thought.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 May 2021 03:31:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

03:31??? Is your unbearable loneliness not letting you sleep in again, you
abnormal trolling senile cretin?

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

ARW wrote:

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

Seems to have a letter-flap at the bottom ...

Pretty sure that is just protection tape.

But there seems to be no opening windows.

I'd have thought the architects might have included at least one set of
wide doors to winch up furnishings, white goods and replacement fixtures
rather than rely on the spiral staircase.

King size bed was my first thought.

The best of them can be easily dismantled and reassembled
so you only have to carry the mattress up the stairs vertical..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 18:38, ARW wrote:
BTW if you buy this property one of your closest neighbours is a Mrs
Rosemary West.

And another is Mrs Emley Moore.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/05/2021 19:41, williamwright wrote:
On 06/05/2021 18:38, ARW wrote:
BTW if you buy this property one of your closest neighbours is a Mrs
Rosemary West.

And another is Mrs Emley Moore.

And her thinner sister.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 18:38, ARW wrote:
BTW if you buy this property one of your closest neighbours is a Mrs
Rosemary West.

And another is Mrs Emley Moore.

And her thinner sister.

and of course; Mr (Henry) Woodhouse

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

RJH wrote:

ARW wrote:

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

Seems to have a letter-flap at the bottom ...

Pretty sure that is just protection tape.

But there seems to be no opening windows.

I'd have thought the architects might have included at least one set of
wide doors to winch up furnishings, white goods and replacement fixtures
rather than rely on the spiral staircase.

Most architects are too stupid to consider basic stuff like that.

I had a friend who knew a family who lived in Russia, in a tower block.
Apparently when everyone moved in to the new building, the lifts were turned
off by "De Management" (Hale and Pace) so the lifts wouldn't get damaged by
all the furniture and washing machines. People had to carry everything up
the stairs. The lifts were only turned on when everyone's furniture was in
place. If anyone moved (De Management knew when and where) the lifts were
turned off for a couple of days during the moving process.

Temporary hessian padding in the lifts would have protected the insides from
getting dented and scuffed, but that was not The Right Solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"williamwright" wrote in message
On 06/05/2021 18:38, ARW wrote:
BTW if you buy this property one of your closest neighbours is a Mrs
Rosemary West.

And another is Mrs Emley Moore.

I would imagine that at that distance (about 3 miles, by my estimation) the
difficulty would be trying to avoid Mrs Emley Moor deafening you. I bet you
could pick up the broadcasts with nothing plugged in the aerial socket ;-)
We used to live in Wakefield and I remember we had a set of about 10
attenuators daisy-chained together between the aerial lead from the wall
socket and the one to the TV.

I'd forgotten about Bretton Hall, which is near there. That's where I first
learned about computer programming: my mum arranged for me to use the
computer at the teacher-training college there on Wednesday afternoons when
other people played rugby.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:30 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER TWO HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 7 May 2021 04:30:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

04:30??? So you have been up and trolling for OVER TWO HOURS already, yet
again! Do you finally get what a sick senile swine you are?

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 May 2021 18:38:46 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 06/05/2021 13:33, Andrew wrote:

And they could gone the whole hog like that Grand Design in south
London a few yeara ago which was built asÂ* crescent-shaped structure
and the owners decided to have curved double-glazed glass patio doors
and windows to match the curve of the building.

It's not South London:-)

House prices are different in Yorkshire.

BTW if you buy this property one of your closest neighbours is a Mrs
Rosemary West.

Well, if you need a local concrete expert...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/05/2021 21:19, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 06 May 2021 18:38:46 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 06/05/2021 13:33, Andrew wrote:

And they could gone the whole hog like that Grand Design in south
London a few yeara ago which was built asÂ* crescent-shaped structure
and the owners decided to have curved double-glazed glass patio doors
and windows to match the curve of the building.

It's not South London:-)

House prices are different in Yorkshire.

BTW if you buy this property one of your closest neighbours is a Mrs
Rosemary West.

Well, if you need a local concrete expert...

:-))

If I was renovating it I would make sure you could get full clearance
around it with a cherry picker.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 May 2021 21:10:57 +0100, NY wrote:

I would imagine that at that distance (about 3 miles, by my estimation)
the difficulty would be trying to avoid Mrs Emley Moor deafening you. I
bet you could pick up the broadcasts with nothing plugged in the aerial
socket ;-) We used to live in Wakefield and I remember we had a set of
about 10 attenuators daisy-chained together between the aerial lead from
the wall socket and the one to the TV.

I remember ITV setting up a transmitter about a mile away [1] in direct
line of sight, in the 1960s. I'd have been about 14. It swamped
everything. I made and tuned my own attenuator.

[1] South ewnd of Brighton racecourse.

https://goo.gl/maps/XjjBr8Yn6Rmc2J9CA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Robin wrote
ARW wrote
Andy Burns wrote
RJH wrote
ARW wrote

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

Seems to have a letter-flap at the bottom ...

Pretty sure that is just protection tape.

But there seems to be no opening windows.

I'd have thought the architects might have included at least one set of
wide doors to winch up furnishings, white goods and replacement fixtures
rather than rely on the spiral staircase.

Most architects are too stupid to consider basic stuff like that.

Or even the disabled or doddery elderly.

I had a friend who knew a family who lived in Russia, in a tower block.
Apparently when everyone moved in to the new building, the lifts were
turned off by "De Management" (Hale and Pace) so the lifts wouldn't get
damaged by all the furniture and washing machines. People had to carry
everything up the stairs. The lifts were only turned on when everyone's
furniture was in place. If anyone moved (De Management knew when and
where) the lifts were turned off for a couple of days during the moving
process.

Fark.

Temporary hessian padding in the lifts

Or what removalists use, but on the walls.

would have protected the insides from getting dented and scuffed, but that
was not The Right Solution.

Yeah, glad I have never lived anywhere like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 May 2021 08:08:16 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/05/2021 18:38, ARW wrote:
BTW if you buy this property one of your closest neighbours is a Mrs
Rosemary West.

And another is Mrs Emley Moore.

I would imagine that at that distance (about 3 miles, by my estimation)
the difficulty would be trying to avoid Mrs Emley Moor deafening you. I
bet you could pick up the broadcasts with nothing plugged in the aerial
socket ;-) We used to live in Wakefield and I remember we had a set of
about 10 attenuators daisy-chained together between the aerial lead from
the wall socket and the one to the TV.

I'd forgotten about Bretton Hall, which is near there. That's where I
first learned about computer programming: my mum arranged for me to use
the computer at the teacher-training college there on Wednesday
afternoons when other people played rugby.

Now how will the tv faceplate (or a socket) fit on an exterior wall in
the bedrooms?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder why they did that, if its not listed, they could surely have blown
it up or bulldozed it and built a more up to date building?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
I passed it a few months ago and I had no idea what what happening - I saw
the scaffolding and just assumed it was a bit of maintenance.

I passed it again this week and saw the new glass so did some research.

A couple of photos from tonight.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower2.jpg

You can view the planning permission here

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/plannin...cations-online

or somewhere on there

and search for

16/01858/FUL

And it looks from the photos that they have cladded the concrete instead
of cleaning it. A pity really as it distracts from the main original
design feature of the building - brutalism concrete.

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I wonder why they did that, if its not listed, they could surely have
blown it up or bulldozed it and built a more up to date building?

The worst of those loons spend far more reusing something like that.

"ARW" wrote in message
I passed it a few months ago and I had no idea what what happening - I saw
the scaffolding and just assumed it was a bit of maintenance.

I passed it again this week and saw the new glass so did some research.

A couple of photos from tonight.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower1.jpg

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower2.jpg

You can view the planning permission here

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/plannin...cations-online

or somewhere on there

and search for

16/01858/FUL

And it looks from the photos that they have cladded the concrete instead
of cleaning it. A pity really as it distracts from the main original
design feature of the building - brutalism concrete.

It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 May 2021 06:12:36 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Get the **** out of humans-only ngs, you perverted trolling senile cretin!

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2021 21:10, NY wrote:
I remember we had a set of about 10 attenuators daisy-chained together
between the aerial lead from the wall socket and the one to the TV.

Because there's always some signal pick-up at the TV set itself, strong
attenuation could result in pre- or post-echo in the analogue days. If
the aerial was local to the TV set the result would be signal
cancellation in an unpredictable manner, and that is what happens with
DTT. If the aerial is remote, such as with a distribution system, you'd
see 'ghosts'. However, massive signal levels should appear at outlets on
a system. That's unless the tenant has climbed into the loft and
bypassed a high value tap-off unit!

Incidentally a lot of aerial installers short out braid to inner with
one or two strands rather than use an attenuator. Why? Because they're
stupid.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2021 18:15, ARW wrote:

Now how will the tv faceplate (or a socket) fit on an exterior wall in
the bedrooms?

I wonder how far from a straight line the wall will deviate across the
width of a wallplate?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 May 2021 at 02:15:43 BST, "williamwright"
wrote:

On 07/05/2021 18:15, ARW wrote:

Now how will the tv faceplate (or a socket) fit on an exterior wall in
the bedrooms?

I wonder how far from a straight line the wall will deviate across the
width of a wallplate?

Bill

I am sure a 9mm plastic extension on the back box (assuming the front of the
back box is on a tangent to the line of the wall so it is hidden) will bring
the accessory far enough forward.
--
Roger Hayter