Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Water tower to dwelling

"SH" wrote in message
On 06/05/2021 06:24, Rod Speed wrote:

"RJH" wrote in message
On 6 May 2021 at 03:14:37 BST, "williamwright"
wrote:

On 05/05/2021 21:52, ARW wrote:
I passed it a few months ago and I had no idea what what happening -
I saw the scaffolding and just assumed it was a bit of maintenance.
I passed it again this week and saw the new glass so did some
research.
A couple of photos from tonight.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower1.jpg
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...atertower2.jpg
You can view the planning permission here

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/plannin...cations-online

or somewhere on there
and search for
16/01858/FUL
And it looks from the photos that they have cladded the concrete
instead of cleaning it. A pity really as it distracts from the main
original design feature of the building - brutalism concrete.
It also looks like level 1 has an outside door.

It does - no door shown on the plans. Maybe it a full height window.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...ecome-13444560

Bill

Good on them - went for £110,000 (from a guide price of £4k).
Should think that scaffolding cost a few quid - 100k to adapt?
Foundations
should be quite sturdy :-)

Damned nuisance to hike those stairs when you are ancient tho.

funnily enough, some TV transmitters do have a lift within. ISTR that
Emley Moor has a lift within its concrete shaft and its one of the tallest
transmitters in the UK.

Should think its do-able to put a lift in the water tower.....

Sure but even that isnt as convenient as with a single level with the top
two floors.