Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New dwelling surprises :-)

I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a house
that isn't new, but new to you.

First thing was a pair of wall lights, wired into sockets with the
cables running at an angle, only noticed in a certain light which showed
the uneven filling. They are coming out!

Removed the bath panel on the steel bath, to find that the nicely made
steel cradles to support it where lying sideways on the floor at the
back. Several offcuts of timber had been used to support the bath.

Flush handle on the toilet is a somewhat bulky wood & brass affair which
means the seat fouls it & won't stay up, really annoying!

Weirdest of all, is the bathroom door. The mortice latch has been
fitted the wrong way around. The flat side of the latch hits the
striker plate first. Oddly enough if you use the handle it does
actually stay shut.

I might be a busy boy for a few weeks :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Removed the bath panel on the steel bath, to find that the nicely made
steel cradles to support it where lying sideways on the floor at the
back. Several offcuts of timber had been used to support the bath.

Whilst I used the cradles, I also placed timber under the chipboard base
to provide additional support. It makes the bath much more stable.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The latter one is obviously a dyslexia sufferer, but not in words but locks.
Most locks of course can be unscrewed and the vital part reversed...

Quite what the bath fitters were doing is anyone's guess. I've seen the loo
one before, its the toilet being too clost that is the issue of course. As
for walllights. My late father used to fit lights that way, it saved cable
he said.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

[...]

You might have to get a man in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2012 18:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
The latter one is obviously a dyslexia sufferer, but not in words but locks.

Dyslocksia?

groan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2012 18:10 The Medway Handyman wrote:

Flush handle on the toilet is a somewhat bulky wood & brass affair which
means the seat fouls it & won't stay up, really annoying!

Female plumber?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2012 18:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
The latter one is obviously a dyslexia sufferer, but not in words but locks.
Most locks of course can be unscrewed and the vital part reversed...

Quite what the bath fitters were doing is anyone's guess. I've seen the loo
one before, its the toilet being too clost that is the issue of course. As
for walllights. My late father used to fit lights that way, it saved cable
he said.

Not "late" because he didn't see the point of RCDs, I trust!

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a house
that isn't new, but new to you.

First thing was a pair of wall lights, wired into sockets with the
cables running at an angle, only noticed in a certain light which showed
the uneven filling. They are coming out!

We looked round one house years ago where the owner had run surface
mounted flex to the wall lights, and then papered over it - cable clips
and all!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Monday, October 1, 2012 6:10:23 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Just a few weeks? It's alright for some - it's a 10 year plan here!

I bought some wall lights from Ikea the other week and they were provided with cables and
mains plugs with an inline switch (which I didn't notice till I got them home). Presumably this is to stop
the terminally stupid from failing to wire them properly, although they would look fugly dangling down
the wall. After a bit of thought as to how to 'modify' them they went back in favour of a more sensible
alternative from elsewhere.

Our new bog has a handle like that: I sorted the seat so it stays up for gentlemanly relief purposes,
but the spindle of the handle is slowly wearing a depression into the (always up regardless of gender)
seat cover. Not the worst aspect though: As a new improved compliant model, the flush is bloody
useless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 23:11:22 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a house
that isn't new, but new to you.

First thing was a pair of wall lights, wired into sockets with the
cables running at an angle, only noticed in a certain light which
showed the uneven filling. They are coming out!

We looked round one house years ago where the owner had run surface
mounted flex to the wall lights, and then papered over it - cable clips
and all!

When we moved here, the house was split into two 'flats' (no separate
doors, it was really a granny flat upstairs). The power for the cooker
point in the upstairs kitchen came from under the living room floor - the
cable was clipped to the inside corner of the chimney breast alcove. And
papered over. AFAIR it was wired into the downstairs ring.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes

I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a house
that isn't new, but new to you.

First thing was a pair of wall lights, wired into sockets with the
cables running at an angle, only noticed in a certain light which
showed the uneven filling. They are coming out!

Removed the bath panel on the steel bath, to find that the nicely made
steel cradles to support it where lying sideways on the floor at the
back. Several offcuts of timber had been used to support the bath.

Flush handle on the toilet is a somewhat bulky wood & brass affair
which means the seat fouls it & won't stay up, really annoying!

Weirdest of all, is the bathroom door. The mortice latch has been
fitted the wrong way around. The flat side of the latch hits the
striker plate first. Oddly enough if you use the handle it does
actually stay shut.

We had a room thermostat in the hall that didn't seem to function.

Turns out that it wasn't connected up - cable was all there and
everything just not connected up into the system.

In our old house there was a socket wired in to the henley block after
the electric meter (esp. for the xmas lights in the porch AFAICT)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No unfortunately not that reason. We never had rcs then, aand I'm not that
convinced they are of much help except where water outsiede electrics etc
are concerned.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 01/10/2012 18:16, Brian Gaff wrote:
The latter one is obviously a dyslexia sufferer, but not in words but
locks.
Most locks of course can be unscrewed and the vital part reversed...

Quite what the bath fitters were doing is anyone's guess. I've seen the
loo
one before, its the toilet being too clost that is the issue of course.
As
for walllights. My late father used to fit lights that way, it saved
cable
he said.

Not "late" because he didn't see the point of RCDs, I trust!

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:20:13 AM UTC+1, chris French wrote:
[...]

When we moved into our first house, it had a new shower room complete with electric shower.
The first morning I jumping into the shower - nothing doing.
Investigation showed there was never an attempt to run a cable to it: presumably they had failed to
appreciate the need for it in the design or found too late (as I did) that there was no spare way in the CU.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 1, 2012 6:10:23 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a house
that isn't new, but new to you.

snip
When I moved into my first house there were a number of interesting surprises like that!
I discovered that all the kitchen sockets were wired into the immersion heater circuit (a wire coming out of the switch on the kitchen wall).
As I was busy sorting that out and rebuilding the garden wall, I got the plumber in to fit a stopcock on the incoming mains (since there wasn't one anywhere apart from the one in the street) and to disconnect the supply to the disused and broken outside loo.
When I arrived home from work that evening I discovered my neighbour knocking at the door to see if I could turn the water on again - it turned out that no-one had bothered to tell me (possibly because they didn't know) that the supply to my outside loo also fed the neighbour's - and they didn't have an inside loo.
Unfortunately the plumber had actually removed a section of pipe, so I couldn't help them; they had to flush with a bucket of water until we got a new connection from their supply sorted out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
[...]

That happened to me in reverse.
House next to me was sold after the old guy there died (just before I
moved in). Nothing had been done to that house for over 50 years;
still had it's original 1920's wiring, 1920's decor, etc. A plumber
bought it, and started doing it up in his spare time. I came home
one day and noticed a trench up their path from the street and a nice
new blue water supply fitted. I was already suspecting this, but got
indoors, only to find I have no water. He didn't know it, but the
original pipe fed half the terrace. He spent next day digging up
under the floors, trying to find where the old supply pipes went off
to the neighbouring houses, and eventually connected us back up!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
We looked round one house years ago where the owner had run surface
mounted flex to the wall lights, and then papered over it - cable clips
and all!

I've seen that... but under the paper ran the entire feed for upstairs from
the CU. But the walls were made of something odd (1940s cindery-type
material)... maybe a channel would have gone through to the other side. The
sockets were surface mounted because the walls weren't thick enough to
recess a pattress into.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:09:44 +0100, chris French
wrote:

We had a room thermostat in the hall that didn't seem to function.

Turns out that it wasn't connected up - cable was all there and
everything just not connected up into the system.

I had one like that in my last house. I don't remember who it was
wired now but the heating was dependent on the thermostat on the
boiler (in the kitchen) until I sorted it out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 08:09:44 +0100, chris French wrote:

We had a room thermostat in the hall that didn't seem to function.

The central heating thermostat when we moved in here was in the utility
room. The coldest room in the place also no radiator... There was no
zoning at all so two HW cylinders on gravity loops and a single pump for
the two central heating loops. One of the first thing I did was make into
a four independent time and thermostatically controlled zone system.

The previous owners said that the Baxi Burnall open fire place would get
through coal or wood at a phenomenal rate. Well it would the under grate
butterfly damper plate had fallen apart so there was no air supply
restriction at all and the external feed to that is on the exposed (high)
pressure side of the house. Talk about blown fires for melting metal?

The shower mixer in the bathroom was seized solid, never bothered fixing
that as the (70's) bathroom was going to go. It finally did last year...

The electrics had four final circuits: ring main, cooker, immersion and
lighting. Wired fuses of course. IIRC the garage socket came off the
cooker fuse and the garage light off the immersion.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes

I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a house
that isn't new, but new to you.

The second home I bought, a maisonette, had gas hot water/ central
heating, and it worked fine for a few days, then stopped. Investigation
found that the timer was clockwork. Needed winding once a week. Worked
well enough, as long as I remembered to wind it up :-)
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-10-01, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a house
that isn't new, but new to you.

First thing was a pair of wall lights, wired into sockets with the
cables running at an angle, only noticed in a certain light which showed
the uneven filling. They are coming out!

Removed the bath panel on the steel bath, to find that the nicely made
steel cradles to support it where lying sideways on the floor at the
back. Several offcuts of timber had been used to support the bath.

Maybe the cradles didn't go high enough? When we replaced the bath in
our house, the cradles & feet didn't raise it up high enough for the
drain pipe (going through the wall) so I had to prop them up on blocks
of wood.

Flush handle on the toilet is a somewhat bulky wood & brass affair which
means the seat fouls it & won't stay up, really annoying!

I read "seat fouls" & my mind boggled for a minute, but I get it now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
First thing was a pair of wall lights, wired into sockets with the
cables running at an angle, only noticed in a certain light which showed
the uneven filling. They are coming out!

In my brother's new house we discovered a socket at the back
of the fireplace. Tracing the cable revealed it went up the
/centre/ of the chimney breast - exactly where you'd stick
a picture hook through it.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 01:37:48 -0700 (PDT), GMM
wrote:

When we moved into our first house, it had a new shower room complete with electric shower.
The first morning I jumping into the shower - nothing doing.
Investigation showed there was never an attempt to run a cable to it: presumably they had failed to
appreciate the need for it in the design or found too late (as I did) that there was no spare way in the CU.

A few years ago I was called up to a five year old house just bought
by a young couple. Their call was to do something to get the en-suite
shower working, replace if necessary.
Turned out the shower supply cable was there, just dangling down the
back of the stud wall and not connected. It had never been connected,
since new.
So, far from forking out for a new shower, they got the use of an
unused one, that was still effectively new.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-10-02 08:37:48 +0000, GMM said:

[...]

4.5 years into this house I discovered that the downstairs shower was
wired from the upstairs ringmain. I'm glad now we never used it, and
that I only found out because I was removing it (and I'm also glad I
carefully checked it wasn't still live after swicthing off the "shower"
mcb).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson wrote:

4.5 years into this house I discovered that the downstairs shower was
wired from the upstairs ringmain. I'm glad now we never used it, and
that I only found out because I was removing it (and I'm also glad I
carefully checked it wasn't still live after swicthing off the "shower"
mcb).

What did the "Shower MCB" supply (dreading the answer ;-)

--
Tim Watts
Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
We looked round one house years ago where the owner had run surface
mounted flex to the wall lights, and then papered over it - cable clips
and all!

There's posh.

When I moved in here, the bedroom had a cable coming out of the floor,
and going straight up the wall and into the ceiling, no clips, just
gently swinging around (turned out to be the power feed for the garage).
The bathroom had a papered over cable for the (non-working) extractor
fan.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 21:22:01 +0100, Piers Finlayson
wrote:

4.5 years into this house I discovered that the downstairs shower was
wired from the upstairs ringmain. I'm glad now we never used it, and
that I only found out because I was removing it (and I'm also glad I
carefully checked it wasn't still live after swicthing off the "shower"
mcb).

About ten years back I sorted out a shower in a rear extension. Turned
out the previous owner was a handy sort of guy and built the
extension, did his own electrics and plumbing.
The 8.5kW electric shower unit was fed from a tank in the loft - so,
the pressure wasn't enough to activate it; this being a mains shower
the pressure-low switch had stepped in and done its job, disabling the
shower.
Which was just as well, really.
On examining the wiring I found the shower electric supply was run
from the extension, up the inside of the back wall, along the loft
floor and down two stories at the front of the house (down a bedroom
wall), to the consumer unit.
Instead of 6mm cable, the total ****ing arsehole that wired it had
used 2.5mm.
Imagine; if the shower had worked, that overheating cable stretched
the full length of the house just waiting to eventually set something
alight.

Oh, and one other thing - the shower didn't have its own RCB or RCBO,
(it had an MCB) it depended on the main house one. When I tested it;
it failed shut.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2012 22:28, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

[...]

The length of the circuit may have been its saving grace... the added
resistance of the cable run would probably have dropped the peak current
to something in the low 30s amps. If the cable was sitting on the
surface, in masonry etc then its nominal rating would have been 27A, so
it would have been overloaded - but probably not badly enough to suffer
acute failure. (it would probably be dissipating ~450W over its full
length!)

Oh, and one other thing - the shower didn't have its own RCB or RCBO,
(it had an MCB) it depended on the main house one. When I tested it;
it failed shut.

Nice ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-10-02 21:02:50 +0000, Tim Watts said:

Piers Finlayson wrote:

4.5 years into this house I discovered that the downstairs shower was
wired from the upstairs ringmain. I'm glad now we never used it, and
that I only found out because I was removing it (and I'm also glad I
carefully checked it wasn't still live after swicthing off the "shower"
mcb).

What did the "Shower MCB" supply (dreading the answer ;-)

Just the upstairs one :-). Perhaps I should have been suspicious at
two showers being on the same MCB!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2012 18:16, Brian Gaff wrote:

Quite what the bath fitters were doing is anyone's guess. I've seen the loo
one before, its the toilet being too clost that is the issue of course.

I helped my son move into his new shared student flat last week, and
noticed the same 'feature' in their bathroom.

God only knows what that room will look like in a few weeks' time...
Mind you, I don't suppose they'd bother lifting the seat even if it did
stay up

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a house
that isn't new, but new to you.

Central heating didn't seem to be working properly last night.

Fired OK when the +1 hr or Advance buttons were pressed, but didn't
respond to the wireless thermostat or stat on hot water cylinder.

Re installed wireless stat, tested it by leaving it in the fridge, even
read the instructions!

After an hour of buggering about I noticed the time clock on the
controller was set to 9:30am not 9:30pm!

Doh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Oct 2012 19:29:26 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

After an hour of buggering about I noticed the time clock on the
controller was set to 9:30am not 9:30pm!

ROFL....

That's why I detest AM/PM clocks and set everything to 24 hr format if I
possibly can.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a
house that isn't new, but new to you.

Central heating didn't seem to be working properly last night.

Fired OK when the +1 hr or Advance buttons were pressed, but didn't
respond to the wireless thermostat or stat on hot water cylinder.

Re installed wireless stat, tested it by leaving it in the fridge,
even read the instructions!

"Read the instuctions" No way.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-10-04, ARW wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Re installed wireless stat, tested it by leaving it in the fridge,
even read the instructions!

"Read the instuctions" No way.

In an episode of the "Red Green Show" (Canadian sketch/sitcom from the
1990s), someone tells the members of Men Anonymous that it's OK to
read the instructions because it's not like asking for help, it's like
cheating.