Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default New dwelling surprises :-)

On Monday, October 1, 2012 6:10:23 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
I guess you expect to find a few odd things when you move into a house

that isn't new, but new to you.

First thing was a pair of wall lights, wired into sockets with the

cables running at an angle, only noticed in a certain light which showed

the uneven filling. They are coming out!

Removed the bath panel on the steel bath, to find that the nicely made

steel cradles to support it where lying sideways on the floor at the

back. Several offcuts of timber had been used to support the bath.

Flush handle on the toilet is a somewhat bulky wood & brass affair which

means the seat fouls it & won't stay up, really annoying!

Weirdest of all, is the bathroom door. The mortice latch has been

fitted the wrong way around. The flat side of the latch hits the

striker plate first. Oddly enough if you use the handle it does

actually stay shut.

I might be a busy boy for a few weeks :-)

Just a few weeks? It's alright for some - it's a 10 year plan here!

I bought some wall lights from Ikea the other week and they were provided with cables and
mains plugs with an inline switch (which I didn't notice till I got them home). Presumably this is to stop
the terminally stupid from failing to wire them properly, although they would look fugly dangling down
the wall. After a bit of thought as to how to 'modify' them they went back in favour of a more sensible
alternative from elsewhere.

Our new bog has a handle like that: I sorted the seat so it stays up for gentlemanly relief purposes,
but the spindle of the handle is slowly wearing a depression into the (always up regardless of gender)
seat cover. Not the worst aspect though: As a new improved compliant model, the flush is bloody
useless.