Snowman

Default Dishwasher not emptying

My Zanussi dishwasher has stopped emptying - I've checked for blockages in
the filter and snags in the pipe. The water runs out if I disconnect the
waste pipe and lay it down. Seems to me like it's the pump, although there
is a "pump sound" when it's supposed to be emptying. Any other suggestions
before I tip the thing over and examine the pump?

Peter.

bigbrian

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:35:16 GMT, "Snowman"
wrote:

My Zanussi dishwasher has stopped emptying - I've checked for blockages in
the filter and snags in the pipe. The water runs out if I disconnect the
waste pipe and lay it down. Seems to me like it's the pump, although there
is a "pump sound" when it's supposed to be emptying. Any other suggestions
before I tip the thing over and examine the pump?

I had a problem with our (Bosch) where the base (not the filter) had
got clogged up with some food particles that hadn't been cleaned off
properly before the pan or whatever it was was put in the DW. It
produced exactly the symptoms you describe, and was fine after the
offending rice was removed

Brian
Snowman

wrote:

My Zanussi dishwasher has stopped emptying - I've checked for blockages in
the filter and snags in the pipe. The water runs out if I disconnect the
waste pipe and lay it down. Seems to me like it's the pump, although there
is a "pump sound" when it's supposed to be emptying. Any other suggestions
before I tip the thing over and examine the pump?

I had a problem with our (Bosch) where the base (not the filter) had
got clogged up with some food particles that hadn't been cleaned off
properly before the pan or whatever it was was put in the DW. It
produced exactly the symptoms you describe, and was fine after the
offending rice was removed

Brian

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll get it out and investigate further.

It's a pretty rubbish machine, but if I can get it going for a bit longer I
can save on the expense of a new one.

Peter.

Christian McArdle

Seems to me like it's the pump, although there is a "pump sound"
when it's supposed to be emptying.

The plastic pump impellor may have no blades left. This can lead to the pump
making a noise, but having no effect.

Christian.

Set Square

Snowman wrote:

My Zanussi dishwasher has stopped emptying - I've checked for
blockages in the filter and snags in the pipe. The water runs out if
I disconnect the waste pipe and lay it down. Seems to me like it's
the pump, although there is a "pump sound" when it's supposed to be
emptying. Any other suggestions before I tip the thing over and
examine the pump?

Peter.

There are several possibilities - some more likely than others:
* failed pump - not rotating even though supplied with power
* pump not being powered - due to programmer or wiring fault
* pump rotating but not pumping

If it sounds as if the pump is running, the last of these is probably the
prime suspect. The impellor could have lost its blades, or come loose on its
shaft. Either way, this would mean a new pump.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

sPONiX

wrote:

My Zanussi dishwasher has stopped emptying - I've checked for blockages in
the filter and snags in the pipe. The water runs out if I disconnect the
waste pipe and lay it down. Seems to me like it's the pump, although there
is a "pump sound" when it's supposed to be emptying. Any other suggestions
before I tip the thing over and examine the pump?

Some Merloni machines have a one way flap valve in the pump. Sometimes
the pump cvan struggle to open this valve especially if it has to push
the water "uphill". Perhaps this is a similar prob?

sPoNiX