Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Web site errors

Just in the last couple of weeks I am getting a lot of errors when
trying to access some websites that previously I've not had a problem
with.

The error message is "The connection to the server was reset while the
page was loading". In the past when I have occasionally had this message
I could get past it by reloading the page, but now that doesn't help.
The websites are simply not available to me.

Another unrelated problem seems to be to do with something called
Cloudflare. With some websites (not the above ones) I get a message
stating something like "Error 520 Website is returning an unknown error
.... Browser working ... Cloudflare working ... Host error". This too has
only arisen in the past couple of weeks.

Anybody got any clues?

--
Algernon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 17:47, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading"

Is what I get with an old browser that does not have the appropriate (s)
bit of https handling, though was browsable when the site was http
protocol previously.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It seems that Cloudflare is a company which offers web security services:

https://www.cloudflare.com/en-gb/lea...is-cloudflare/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 17:47, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Just in the last couple of weeks I am getting a lot of errors when
trying to access some websites that previously I've not had a problem with.

The error message is "The connection to the server was reset while the
page was loading". In the past when I have occasionally had this message
I could get past it by reloading the page, but now that doesn't help.
The websites are simply not available to me.

Another unrelated problem seems to be to do with something called
Cloudflare. With some websites (not the above ones) I get a message
stating something like "Error 520 Website is returning an unknown error
... Browser working ... Cloudflare working ... Host error". This too has
only arisen in the past couple of weeks.

Anybody got any clues?

try downloading opera web browser and turning on the VPN within
opera.... try the problematic websites again and report back to us......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 17:47, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Just in the last couple of weeks I am getting a lot of errors when
trying to access some websites that previously I've not had a problem with.

The error message is "The connection to the server was reset while the
page was loading". In the past when I have occasionally had this message
I could get past it by reloading the page, but now that doesn't help.
The websites are simply not available to me.

Another unrelated problem seems to be to do with something called
Cloudflare. With some websites (not the above ones) I get a message
stating something like "Error 520 Website is returning an unknown error
... Browser working ... Cloudflare working ... Host error". This too has
only arisen in the past couple of weeks.

Anybody got any clues?

Cloudfailure.

They have blacklisted me for no reason

--
€œThe ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.€

Herbert Spencer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

utter ******s

--
€œThere are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isnt true; the
other is to refuse to believe what is true.€

€”Soren Kierkegaard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cloudfailure.
They have blacklisted me for no reason

I though websites had to pay to be front-ended by cloudflare as a DDoS
prevention measure?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cloudfailure.

They have blacklisted me for no reason

Me too, apparently. I can't see any real option for contacting
them if you are not a customer. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 17:47, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Just in the last couple of weeks I am getting a lot of errors when
trying to access some websites that previously I've not had a problem with.

The error message is "The connection to the server was reset while the
page was loading". In the past when I have occasionally had this message
I could get past it by reloading the page, but now that doesn't help.
The websites are simply not available to me.

Another unrelated problem seems to be to do with something called
Cloudflare. With some websites (not the above ones) I get a message
stating something like "Error 520 Website is returning an unknown error
... Browser working ... Cloudflare working ... Host error". This too has
only arisen in the past couple of weeks.

Anybody got any clues?

If your router is normally left on for months at a time, it is worth
rebooting it. Memory can become clogged - especially if there is a
firmware problem that causes "memory leaks" - and some sites can then
slow sufficiently that they time out and reset. Typically that starts by
needing a second attempt, but can then progress further.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

N_Cook posted
On 27/04/2021 17:47, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading"

Is what I get with an old browser that does not have the appropriate
(s) bit of https handling, though was browsable when the site was http
protocol previously.

What are these new protocols? Have they just been introduced?

--
Algernon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2021 17:47, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Just in the last couple of weeks I am getting a lot of errors when
trying to access some websites that previously I've not had a problem with.

The error message is "The connection to the server was reset while the
page was loading". In the past when I have occasionally had this message
I could get past it by reloading the page, but now that doesn't help.
The websites are simply not available to me.

Another unrelated problem seems to be to do with something called
Cloudflare. With some websites (not the above ones) I get a message
stating something like "Error 520 Website is returning an unknown error
... Browser working ... Cloudflare working ... Host error". This too has
only arisen in the past couple of weeks.

Anybody got any clues?

Could you be any vaguer about what OS platform and browser version you
are running and which websites in particular are causing you problems.

Misconfigured HTTPS at the server or browser failing to understand some
recent improvement or other is a fair candidate for glitches. Sometimes
it can just be an overloaded popular site server with particularly bad
content management which basically just croaks at busy times of day.

Most often that load problem manifests as images that never load.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not only that but when my old router could not keep up with the modem we
were using it seemed that the page reset occurred as things got awfully
confused, a new up to date router fixed this straight away. Cloudflare,
there was something mentioned about that on a tech neews site something to
do with overlays from another address or something.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"N_Cook" wrote in message
On 27/04/2021 17:47, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading"

Is what I get with an old browser that does not have the appropriate (s)
bit of https handling, though was browsable when the site was http
protocol previously.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/04/2021 17:39, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
N_Cook posted
On 27/04/2021 17:47, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading"

Is what I get with an old browser that does not have the appropriate
(s) bit of https handling, though was browsable when the site was http
protocol previously.

What are these new protocols? Have they just been introduced?

The security (s suffix) coding-decoding handshake algorithm of old
browsers handling https is considered too crackable these days by dark
actors. Fair enough for banking stuff, but why any crooks would be
interested in the details of my casual browsing I don't know.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2021 08:25, N_Cook wrote:
On 28/04/2021 17:39, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
N_Cook posted
On 27/04/2021 17:47, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading"

Is what I get with an old browser that does not have the appropriate
(s) bit of https handling, though was browsable when the site was http
protocol previously.

What are these new protocols? Have they just been introduced?

The security (s suffix) coding-decoding handshake algorithm of old
browsers handling https is considered too crackable these days by dark
actors. Fair enough for banking stuff, but why any crooks would be
interested in the details of my casual browsing I don't know.

So they know what to sell you.
remember these days all commercial consumer marketing is run by crooks.

--
€œI know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

ۥ Leo Tolstoy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

N_Cook wrote:
Fair enough for banking stuff, but why any crooks would be
interested in the details of my casual browsing I don't know.

They do not care that you are you. "They" only care whether
they can exploit you: perhaps defrauding you, hacking your
pc via a browser exploit or malware download, perhaps
running ransomware, that kind of thing. You are not special,
you are merely a potential target, you are just one entry on
an automated list. Knowing your interests can make it easier;
as does knowing that your browser uses outdated and/or
flawed security.

I'm baffled by this "but no one cares about me" defense. Do
pickpockets only select people by name? I think rather they
only care how easy the wallet is to lift, and how much
might be in it.

#Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

#Paul wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
Fair enough for banking stuff, but why any crooks would be
interested in the details of my casual browsing I don't know.

They do not care that you are you. "They" only care whether
they can exploit you: perhaps defrauding you, hacking your
pc via a browser exploit or malware download, perhaps
running ransomware, that kind of thing. You are not special,
you are merely a potential target, you are just one entry on
an automated list. Knowing your interests can make it easier;
as does knowing that your browser uses outdated and/or
flawed security.

I'm baffled by this "but no one cares about me" defense. Do
pickpockets only select people by name? I think rather they
only care how easy the wallet is to lift, and how much
might be in it.

Yes, but I don't keep any wallets in my PC (yes, I know some people do
but I'm careful not to).

A pickpocket will generally only target someone whom they know has
something valuable in their pocket. Similarly car thieves are much
more likely to break a window and steal something if they can actually
see it on the seat.

Pickpockets *don't* generally root around in the pockets of everyone
in a crowd, it would be counter-productive because it would hugely
increase their chance of being caught.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/04/2021 15:53, Chris Green wrote:
#Paul wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
[...]

but a cyber pickpocket can cyber-attack your PC for personal cyber-gain....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#Paul wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
[...]

So is it a double-bluff, the business of police putting up a notice in a
notorious place, saying
"Beware pickpockets are acting in this area"
Then pickpockets hang around , knowing that a lot of people on seeing
such a sign, pat the pocket where their wallet is.
( Like the people on seeing a sign saying
"Beware, wet paint", go up and touch it to check.)

Then police hang around the pickpocket site , to nick the dips.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#Paul wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
[...]

But there's no cyber-money in my PC.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

#Paul wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
[...]

but there could be personal data shuch as usernames & passwords, names,
addresses, dates of birth, PDFs of bills & wage slips etc potentially on
your PC hard drive?

Can still do quite a bit of damage.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

#Paul wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
[...]

There aren't, I'm (fairly) careful. The only place where things like
this are stored is encrypted.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Pickpockets *don't* generally root around in the pockets of everyone
in a crowd, it would be counter-productive because it would hugely
increase their chance of being caught.

Good point. But with computers, the "cyber pickpocket" *can*
do an automated rootle around in the cyber-pockets of everyone
with an insufficiently secure machine; and the chances are
minimal that anyone will notice; or even if they do notice,
no one will care; and even if they do care, there is no simple
way for the miscreant to be located or stopped.

Updated your threat model yet?

#Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

N_Cook wrote:

So is it a double-bluff, the business of police putting up a notice in a
notorious place, saying
"Beware pickpockets are acting in this area"
Then pickpockets hang around , knowing that a lot of people on seeing
such a sign, pat the pocket where their wallet is.

What makes you think it's the police that put up the signs, eh?