Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scrap car battery.

So we took the batteries to the yard today. 7 large car batteries. 70 amp
hour. Got 60 quid for them.

Right palaver. They wanted a photo driving licence which I had. Then said
it was no use as it had expired. But the helpful lady in the office did
manage to get it accepted or whatever and did a credit transfer into my
account.

Thought it very odd I'd not had a letter about my licence. So went online
on getting home - to find those which expired during most of last year
were automatically extended by 11 months. But renewed it anyway. Perhaps
they don't have that many old farts scrapping batteries.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

So we took the batteries to the yard today. 7 large car batteries. 70 amp
hour. Got 60 quid for them.

Right palaver. They wanted a photo driving licence which I had. Then said
it was no use as it had expired. But the helpful lady in the office did
manage to get it accepted or whatever and did a credit transfer into my
account.

The scrappy round here was less fussy, they just said "bring photo ID
next time" and paid by bank transfer.

I've got a heap of UPS batteries to weigh in, but I think I'll stop
crushing my own cans instead of giving them to the council, I've been
doing it since xmas, and the weight of the box doesn't seem worth the
hassle, plus repeated dropping of a 28lb weight is starting to chip away
at my garage floor!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

So we took the batteries to the yard today. 7 large car batteries. 70 amp
hour. Got 60 quid for them.

Right palaver. They wanted a photo driving licence which I had. Then said
it was no use as it had expired. But the helpful lady in the office did
manage to get it accepted or whatever and did a credit transfer into my
account.

The scrappy round here was less fussy, they just said "bring photo ID
next time" and paid by bank transfer.

The outfit I used pretty large. They had a separate shed for things like
car batteries. And an operator who weighed them in. Giving him my licence
allowed a machine to read it and produce a printed chit with my name and
address on it and details of the load. Then had to take this to the office
to get paid.

I've got a heap of UPS batteries to weigh in, but I think I'll stop
crushing my own cans instead of giving them to the council, I've been
doing it since xmas, and the weight of the box doesn't seem worth the
hassle, plus repeated dropping of a 28lb weight is starting to chip away
at my garage floor!

Probably worth it if you do it all in one trip.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 11:24:00 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

So we took the batteries to the yard today. 7 large car batteries. 70 amp
hour. Got 60 quid for them.

Right palaver. They wanted a photo driving licence which I had. Then said
it was no use as it had expired. But the helpful lady in the office did
manage to get it accepted or whatever and did a credit transfer into my
account.

The scrappy round here was less fussy, they just said "bring photo ID
next time" and paid by bank transfer.

Not sure mine has ever asked (and I don't have any photo ID in any
case) but maybe the rules have changed since then?

I've got a heap of UPS batteries to weigh in,

They are good because they are normally clean and sealed. ;-)

but I think I'll stop
crushing my own cans instead of giving them to the council, I've been
doing it since xmas, and the weight of the box doesn't seem worth the
hassle,

It isn't ... as mentioned elsewhere, I took 3 black bags *full* of
crushed ally cans and got £2.50 or something so now give them to the
Council. ;-)

plus repeated dropping of a 28lb weight is starting to chip away
at my garage floor!

We had one of those wall mounted can crushers that actually worked
pretty well (turning even a tall ally lager can into a 'puck').

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had one of those wall mounted can crushers that actually worked
pretty well (turning even a tall ally lager can into a 'puck').

And using a sledge hammer or hydraulic press or a bench vice onto the
puck turns it into a disc.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

[...]

We have a deposit scheme now and massive great reverse
vending machines, as big as a small bus that you stuff the
cans and bottles into which automate the cash payment.

Unlikely to be economic overall tho given the cost of the machines.

plus repeated dropping of a 28lb weight is starting to chip away
at my garage floor!

We had one of those wall mounted can crushers that actually worked
pretty well (turning even a tall ally lager can into a 'puck').

But a lot of farting around rather than tossing it in the bin.

Don't do anything myself, I brew my own beer so don't
buy any drinks at all. When its not beer its tap water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 04:45:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the usual sociopathic sick ****

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 14:01:48 +0100, SH wrote:

We had one of those wall mounted can crushers that actually worked
pretty well (turning even a tall ally lager can into a 'puck').

And using a sledge hammer or hydraulic press or a bench vice onto the
puck turns it into a disc.....

Hmmm, that could have been fun, I have a 10 tonne hydraulic press ...
;-)

So if I could have got twice as many into the black sacks that would
have made them worth double ... so £5! ;-)

Cheers, T i m