Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default scrap car batteries - how much do scrappies pay?

scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Jim K

Well lead scrap current going rate is 70p/kg, so if battery about 10Kg
probably a fiver!

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Jim K wrote:
scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Depends on weight, obviously, but the last one I got rid of (70 amp/hr)
was about a fiver.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 15:04:28 on Fri, 29 Mar
2013, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Depends on weight, obviously, but the last one I got rid of (70 amp/hr)
was about a fiver.

That's interesting, the local (national chain) Tyre/Battery/Exhaust
place wanted to *charge* me a couple of quid to "dispose of" the old
one. I took it to the tip where they collect them for free. Never
thought of asking someone to pay to take it away.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:04:28 on Fri, 29 Mar
2013, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Depends on weight, obviously, but the last one I got rid of (70 amp/hr)
was about a fiver.

That's interesting, the local (national chain) Tyre/Battery/Exhaust
place wanted to *charge* me a couple of quid to "dispose of" the old
one. I took it to the tip where they collect them for free. Never
thought of asking someone to pay to take it away.

you paid nothing becasue you were a private individual. Trade waste costs
money to dispose of.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 07:43:08 on
Sat, 30 Mar 2013, charles remarked:
scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Depends on weight, obviously, but the last one I got rid of (70 amp/hr)
was about a fiver.

That's interesting, the local (national chain) Tyre/Battery/Exhaust
place wanted to *charge* me a couple of quid to "dispose of" the old
one. I took it to the tip where they collect them for free. Never
thought of asking someone to pay to take it away.

you paid nothing becasue you were a private individual. Trade waste costs
money to dispose of.

Does it cost more than a fiver each to get a scrappie to collect a bulk
order of scrap car batteries? (Such that the fiver each he pays you
doesn't cover the cost of ringing him up to come round and collect
them?)
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:04:28 on Fri, 29 Mar
2013, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Depends on weight, obviously, but the last one I got rid of (70 amp/hr)
was about a fiver.

That's interesting, the local (national chain) Tyre/Battery/Exhaust
place wanted to *charge* me a couple of quid to "dispose of" the old
one. I took it to the tip where they collect them for free. Never
thought of asking someone to pay to take it away.

You need to take it to a scrap metal dealer to get paid for it. A battery
dealer charging for disposal is taking the **** - as they will have
collections from one, and get paid.

--
*Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP .

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 11:02:18 on Sat, 30 Mar
2013, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Depends on weight, obviously, but the last one I got rid of (70 amp/hr)
was about a fiver.

That's interesting, the local (national chain) Tyre/Battery/Exhaust
place wanted to *charge* me a couple of quid to "dispose of" the old
one. I took it to the tip where they collect them for free. Never
thought of asking someone to pay to take it away.

You need to take it to a scrap metal dealer to get paid for it.

I realise that. And I'm not sure where I'd find one, other than the
local "tip" (waste recycling facility) doubling as one - but with
everything they get being for free.

A battery dealer charging for disposal is taking the **** - as they
will have collections from one, and get paid.

Exactly.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
You need to take it to a scrap metal dealer to get paid for it.

I realise that. And I'm not sure where I'd find one, other than the
local "tip" (waste recycling facility) doubling as one - but with
everything they get being for free.

There are three that I know of closer to here than the 'tip' which is
about a couple of miles away. I'd say the same would apply in most towns.
Look up your yellow pages, etc.

A battery dealer charging for disposal is taking the **** - as they
will have collections from one, and get paid.

Exactly.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:22:42 on Sat, 30 Mar
2013, Andrew Gabriel remarked:
At one of the council scrap yards I've used, all the lead acid batteries
are chucked into a skip. I have visions of the driver trying to lift it
up and wondering why all the batteries are still on the ground and the
skip has no bottom. At another site, they're all stacked carefully,
keeping them the right way up.

Every site I've seen has them collected in a special rubberised
container about 2m^3.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:31:26 on Sat, 30 Mar
2013, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
You need to take it to a scrap metal dealer to get paid for it.

I realise that. And I'm not sure where I'd find one, other than the
local "tip" (waste recycling facility) doubling as one - but with
everything they get being for free.

There are three that I know of closer to here than the 'tip' which is
about a couple of miles away. I'd say the same would apply in most
towns. Look up your yellow pages, etc.

My 'tip' is about a mile away (and where I last lived about 500yds).

According to Yell, the nearest scrap metal[1] dealer is 9.5 miles away.

[1] There's a scrap-car dealer closer, but do they pay for batteries?

If they buy in scrap cars, there's a good chance they will. But maybe
won't pay as much for one as a pukka scrap metal dealer as they'll have
higher overheads.

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:31:26 on Sat, 30 Mar
2013, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
You need to take it to a scrap metal dealer to get paid for it.

I realise that. And I'm not sure where I'd find one, other than the
local "tip" (waste recycling facility) doubling as one - but with
everything they get being for free.

There are three that I know of closer to here than the 'tip' which is
about a couple of miles away. I'd say the same would apply in most towns.
Look up your yellow pages, etc.

My 'tip' is about a mile away (and where I last lived about 500yds).

According to Yell, the nearest scrap metal[1] dealer is 9.5 miles away.

[1] There's a scrap-car dealer closer, but do they pay for batteries?

very much unlikely, it's the metal dealers that will take the lead out of
the case and process it,
the scrap car yards just deal in parts... they may well power wash the case
and offer it for sale mind.

i remember a few years ago in germany, i bought a small car battery from a
supermarket to use with an electric outboard for my inflatable canoe, i had
just enough cash for it, as the shop didn't accept visa cards,
then at the till another 10 odd euro's was added to the price, 'Pfand' said
the cashier,

Which means deposit for recycling, common on things like bottles of pop, 30
cents is added to the price of a 1.5 litre bottle, you get it back when you
return the plastic bottle to any shop, just like our old glass bottles here

I imagine the battery deposit is refunded if i were to take the dead battery
back in a few years, tho it may also cover the cost of having it recycled,
unfortunately i couldent put into german that i was going to be taking it to
england with me in a few months, where i'd dispose of it there, not that i
imagine anything could have been done about the deposit jobbie,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 16:32:12 on Sat, 30 Mar
2013, Gazz remarked:
I imagine the battery deposit is refunded if i were to take the dead
battery back in a few years,

The battery I replaced was twelve years old, and was probably bought the
other end of the country. Would one have to keep the receipt, and would
any garage pay back the deposit?

tho it may also cover the cost of having it recycled,

We are told that the cost is minus five pounds.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:54:31 -0000, "Andy Bartlett"
wrote:

"Jim K" wrote in message
scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Jim K

Well lead scrap current going rate is 70p/kg, so if battery about 10Kg
probably a fiver!

Batteries seem to track at 50% of the clean lead scrap price, so
about 50p currently

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:42:08 on
Sun, 31 Mar 2013, remarked:
Well lead scrap current going rate is 70p/kg, so if battery about 10Kg
probably a fiver!

Batteries seem to track at 50% of the clean lead scrap price,

If that 50% of the weight of the battery, or 50% of the weight of the
lead in a battery (which is apparently about 60% of the total).

I infer the weight of the whole battery is worth 50% of the clean lead
value.

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/me...ferrous-metals

Right, so you are getting 50% of the battery weight rather than 60%.
That's not too bad of a discount, given that the scrappie has to break
it apart, dispose of the plastic and acid etc.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/13 14:50, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:42:08 on
Sun, 31 Mar 2013, remarked:
Well lead scrap current going rate is 70p/kg, so if battery about 10Kg
probably a fiver!

Batteries seem to track at 50% of the clean lead scrap price,

If that 50% of the weight of the battery, or 50% of the weight of the
lead in a battery (which is apparently about 60% of the total).

I infer the weight of the whole battery is worth 50% of the clean lead
value.

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/me...ferrous-metals

Right, so you are getting 50% of the battery weight rather than 60%.
That's not too bad of a discount, given that the scrappie has to break
it apart, dispose of the plastic and acid etc.

That is not done.

The acid is part of lead smelting anyway - lead sulphide its the usual
o when visited a big lead smelters in france they were also smashing
batteries and it all to the mix and dealing with the acid as part of
their general processing.

"Galena, the most common mineral of lead, is primarily lead sulfide
(PbS). The sulfide is oxidized to a sulfite (PbSO3) which thermally
decomposes into lead oxide and sulfur dioxide gas. (PbO and SO2) The
sulfur dioxide (like the carbon dioxide in the example above) is
expelled, and the lead oxide is reduced. Anglesite, Cerussite,
Pyromorphite, Mimetite and Wulfenite are other lead ores.

Other elements frequently present with lead ores include zinc and
silver.[2]"

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2013 15:25, Roland Perry wrote:
Every site I've seen has them collected in a special rubberised
container about 2m^3.

Last time I put one in there I was splashed by the rain water at the bottom.

I wasn't able to check it was rainwater, but since my fingers didn't
start to hurt it must have been.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Galena, the most common mineral of lead, is primarily lead sulfide
(PbS). The sulfide is oxidized to a sulfite (PbSO3) which thermally
decomposes into lead oxide and sulfur dioxide gas. (PbO and SO2) The
sulfur dioxide (like the carbon dioxide in the example above) is
expelled, and the lead oxide is reduced. Anglesite, Cerussite,
Pyromorphite, Mimetite and Wulfenite are other lead ores.

And they shut down Didcot because it was producing too much sulphur?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/04/2013 21:43, Andy Champ wrote:
"Galena, the most common mineral of lead, is primarily lead sulfide
(PbS). The sulfide is oxidized to a sulfite (PbSO3) which thermally
decomposes into lead oxide and sulfur dioxide gas. (PbO and SO2) The
sulfur dioxide (like the carbon dioxide in the example above) is
expelled, and the lead oxide is reduced. Anglesite, Cerussite,
Pyromorphite, Mimetite and Wulfenite are other lead ores.

And they shut down Didcot because it was producing too much sulphur?

No, they shut down Didcot because of Green Politics.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:34:41 AM UTC, Roland Perry wrote:
I took it to the tip where they collect them for free. Never
thought of asking someone to pay to take it away.

or you can leave it by your front gate with a sign saying "please take me". Saves a trip to the dump.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 03:55:50 -0700, RobertL wrote:

I took it to the tip where they collect them for free. Never
thought of asking someone to pay to take it away.

or you can leave it by your front gate with a sign saying "please take
me". Saves a trip to the dump.

Leave it with a sign saying "£10, works fine, please knock" and it'll go
in seconds flat...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 10:58:46 on Tue, 2 Apr
2013, Adrian remarked:
or you can leave it by your front gate with a sign saying "please take
me". Saves a trip to the dump.

Leave it with a sign saying "£10, works fine, please knock" and it'll go
in seconds flat...

I live in a private cul-de-sac, so probably not. Leaving it by the kerb
up on the public street might be construed as fly-tipping.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

Pyromorphite, Mimetite and Wulfenite are other lead ores.

^^^^^^^^

I read that as Marmite.

Need. More. Sleep.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

any time riqarment to any tipe escrep batteries in india ...docoment is compleetly ...plz cont.us
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 09:47:23 -0700, azadelectrical50 wrote:

any time riqarment to any tipe escrep batteries in india ...docoment is
compleetly ...plz cont.us

Yes, mate. Couldn't agree more. At least, I don't _think_ I could.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 23:08:37 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I was just thinking the same. Is it arrange these words into a real sentence
and win a battery?
Brian

To win a decent prize you'd to have to play more than once and place
an accumulator bet.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, June 6, 2014 3:59:50 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 23:08:37 +0100, "Brian Gaff" gmail.com
wrote:

I was just thinking the same. Is it arrange these words into a real sentence
and win a battery?

To win a decent prize you'd to have to play more than once and place
an accumulator bet.
G.Harman

Ouch. I'm currently experiencing some revoltage in the humour cells.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello Dear,
How are you with your work and family?
We are dealers on Alluvial Gold Dust and Gold Bars based in Ghana;
we currently have stockpile of gold for supply.
Interested buyers should contact us for serious business transactions.
Pretenders and time-wasters are NOT allowed to contact us for any reason.
Commodity........Gold dust Bars
Origin.....GHANA
Form ......Dust and Bars
Purity......22.+%
Quantity......200kg
Quality......22+ carats +)
Price......... Negotiable
We sell on basis.
For our , Buyer or buyer`s representative is expected to be
physically present to inspect the gold and conduct assay test for
quality. we have also coca, teak wood, used rails,with drained lead
acid battery scrap
WE ALSO HAS DIAMOND/COCOA/

Tel+233231843092
Best regards,
peter mensah
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, March 29, 2013 at 2:16:31 PM UTC, JimK wrote:
scrap car batteries - how much should/do scrappies pay?

Jim K

We can pay you for your tonnage of batteries not individual but by the tonne and we offer competitive rates and collect, if interested contact for further discussions
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 February 2016 07:52:54 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Since the question has been raised from the dead, and I have a dozen UPS
and stairlift batteries cluttering a corner of the garage, does anyone
know a recent price (not by the tonne)?

Google scrap metal prices. Was quoted 30p/kg the other day, but that might not be typical.

But that doesn't tell me the "fudge factor" from the price of lead/kg to
the price for a battery/kg.

No. It's not very relevant when you have batteries, but the battery price is.

If it's that low they can skulk in the
garage a bit longer ...

equates to a fiver for a big car battery. Not a lot.

NT

Scrap The Medway Handyman UK diy 50 January 15th 13 01:28 PM
LCD TV - repair or scrap? eastender[_4_] UK diy 11 August 27th 12 04:30 PM
Scrap wood? Locutus Woodworking 9 March 7th 06 12:40 AM
CH Cylinder-Scrap value? sponix UK diy 12 February 12th 06 12:11 PM
What do with with lbs and lbs of scrap AL ~.Roy.~ Metalworking 15 September 11th 05 01:26 AM