Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scrap car battery.

I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

Our local scrap car/metal merchant pays close to 50p/kg for batteries,
that is they just weigh the batteries on their scales and pay
accordingly.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

I've no idea about thr value, but when you factor in fuel for making a
trip and your time, it may be worth just hanging onto it until you are
next going to your council recycling centre and just giving it to them.
That's what I did with the last two (admittedly smaller) batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

Don't scrap it, fix it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l665eovBlEk

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 13:08:56 +0100, Steve Walker

I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

I've no idea about thr value, but when you factor in fuel for making a
trip and your time,

The last time I took a car full of stuff (inc probably 10 batteries)
I got nearly £100 and being retired and the scrap yard probably only 1
mile away, very much 'worth my time'. ;-)

it may be worth just hanging onto it until you are
next going to your council recycling centre and just giving it to them.

For me that would be a longer drive and without the fiscal incentive.
;-)

That's what I did with the last two (admittedly smaller) batteries.

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will
probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I've had what I thought was a reasonably well obscured battery lifted
off my front drive and caught another red handed not long after
(likely the same person).

A loud 'OY!' was enough to get his attention and the suggestion that
he might put it back pronto ... it being theft and he was on CCTV ...
was enough for him to do so (with a sheepish 'sorry mate'). I just
happened to be out the front but a few doors along. ;-)

You can generally determine when the prices are up on such things when
they are taken like that.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 14:08:55 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

they aren't scrap yards any more.

I think ours is called a 'Metals recycling centre'.

they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally.

I would think most are now days?

Can't give you cash anymore.

I'm perfectly happy with that and the funds are normally in my account
before we get home (1 mile).

Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

Sounds posh. ;-)

We also have a PCB recycling centre fairly close and to my surprise, a
small box of old motherboards and other PCBs earned me a cheque for
£26. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

Our local scrap car/metal merchant pays close to 50p/kg for batteries,
that is they just weigh the batteries on their scales and pay
accordingly.

Thanks. Just what I wanted to know.

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

I've no idea about thr value, but when you factor in fuel for making a
trip and your time, it may be worth just hanging onto it until you are
next going to your council recycling centre and just giving it to them.
That's what I did with the last two (admittedly smaller) batteries.

I've actually got more than one. As has a pal who lives nearby. So taking
them all in one go should be worth it. I'll make sure I increase the
pressure in the rear tyres. ;-)

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive Arthur wrote:
I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

Don't scrap it, fix it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l665eovBlEk

Think I'd rather get my lead from petrol. ;-)

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double glazing, approximate cost, recommendations?

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article ,

If outside access is possible, why would you want to fit it from the
inside anyway?

So they don't have to work from scaffolding or ladders.

My biggest windows in the bays are fitted behind the decorative pillars
so fitting them from ten inside was the easiest option.

Hope you're not fitting UPVC double glazing there, then. ;-)

The windows at the rear of my property are fitted behind a slightly
arched upper opening.

If they ever need replacing, I'll do it from the outside. Scaffolding
isn't that expensive, and can be used for any painting necessary in
that area at the same time.

Front of terrace house £350 last time I hired scaffolding.

But think how much you'd save by DIY buying and fitting?

--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sexŒ.Œ.just don't point!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 14:00, Clive Arthur wrote:
I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap
yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

Don't scrap it, fix it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l665eovBlEk

That *could* be done safely in a fume hood ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 14:08, charles wrote:

snip

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

while cash sales are banned there is no law against offering a cheque
cashing service on the same premises

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and weighs
approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

But some of them are happy to take the contents of stolen catalytic
converters without asking too many questions though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 03/04/2021 14:08, charles wrote:

snip

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

while cash sales are banned there is no law against offering a cheque
cashing service on the same premises

GME would only pay into my bank account- and they neeeded proof of that
account being mine,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 14:08, charles wrote:

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally.

That's why there are no more metal thefts these days!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But think how much you'd save by DIY buying and fitting?

Whole house including front and back doors is one job I didn't regret
leaving to someone else, plus it wasn't a one man job - especially
removing the old windows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/04/2021 15:44, Robin wrote:
On 03/04/2021 14:08, charles wrote:

snip

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

while cash sales are banned there is no law against offering a cheque
cashing service on the same premises

For a 10% charge.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 12:32:56 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've had to replace the Rover battery. It's an 069 70 amp hour and
weighs approx 28kg.

Living where I do, I'll have to travel some distance to find a scrap
yard.
So can anyone give a rough idea of what the old is worth as scrap? I've
seen about 60p a kg quoted for scrap lead, but not sure how that
translates to batteries.

Current wholesale price is 47p/kg.
https://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/m...al-prices/non-
ferrous-metal-prices-2021/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will
probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I left a car battery in our front garden the other day - about an hour
later my wife saw someone making off with it. Round our way leaving
anything out front is a sure fire way to recycle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 15:58, Andrew wrote:
On 03/04/2021 14:08, charles wrote:

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

But some of them are happy to take the contents of stolen catalytic
converters without asking too many questions though.

And presumably same with fridge / freezer compressors?

When a household dumps a fridge outside on the pavement, hardly a day
passes by, before someone has arrived, extracted the motor and driven
off - leaving nothing but the fridge and a small cloud of refrigerant
gas ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will
probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I left a car battery in our front garden the other day - about an hour
later my wife saw someone making off with it. Round our way leaving
anything out front is a sure fire way to recycle.

For both of the two that I got rid off, they sat for a month or more
outside the front door until I got round to a tip run.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will
probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I left a car battery in our front garden the other day - about an hour
later my wife saw someone making off with it. Round our way leaving
anything out front is a sure fire way to recycle.

For both of the two that I got rid off, they sat for a month or more
outside the front door until I got round to a tip run.

I live in Hackney. There are people walking and driving by all the time
looking for stuff, like modern day rag and bone men (and they are all
men).

Funniest thing is an armchair we put outside, which swiftly
disappeared. Next weekend the kids and I went to Brick Lane market and
the kids spotted the armchair and started playing on it. The bloke then
tried to sell it to me for £50.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will
probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I left a car battery in our front garden the other day - about an
hour later my wife saw someone making off with it. Round our way
leaving anything out front is a sure fire way to recycle.

For both of the two that I got rid off, they sat for a month or more
outside the front door until I got round to a tip run.

I live in Hackney. There are people walking and driving by all the time
looking for stuff, like modern day rag and bone men (and they are all men).

Funniest thing is an armchair we put outside, which swiftly disappeared.
Next weekend the kids and I went to Brick Lane market and the kids
spotted the armchair and started playing on it. The bloke then tried to
sell it to me for £50.

I used to see a flat bed truck with a cage on the back doing the rounds
ringing a bell - almost like "bring out your dead".

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

[...]

Horse and cart when I were a lad - and that was in West London.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

[...]

It was a horse and cart when I was young as well - in the leafy suburbs
around Manchester (just over a mile further out than the Trafford
Centre) - and I am only 54.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will
probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I left a car battery in our front garden the other day - about an hour
later my wife saw someone making off with it. Round our way leaving
anything out front is a sure fire way to recycle.

For both of the two that I got rid off, they sat for a month or more
outside the front door until I got round to a tip run.

I live in Hackney. There are people walking and driving by all the time
looking for stuff, like modern day rag and bone men (and they are all
men).

We have one who is very old skool and is with his Mrs who rings the
bell. ;-)

Funniest thing is an armchair we put outside, which swiftly
disappeared. Next weekend the kids and I went to Brick Lane market and
the kids spotted the armchair and started playing on it. The bloke then
tried to sell it to me for £50.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure".

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

[...]

Same here in Norf Lundin.

"Ragboneanlumberr!" ding ding, ding ding, ding ding

And because he was only using a horse and cart, moving slowly and
quietly (in between the hails), you had a chance to go out and get his
attention before he got too far away.

Didn't they sometimes give you (or the kids) a goldfish in a bag (like
at the fairground, practice now banned in several places) in exchange
for some good stuff?

Oh the good old days with more animal exploitation. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

[...]

I'm talking about ten to fifteen years ago, not ancient times. g

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 14:37, T i m wrote:

The last time I took a car full of stuff (inc probably 10 batteries)
I got nearly £100 and being retired and the scrap yard probably only 1
mile away, very much 'worth my time'. ;-)

Similarly (even at 7 miles), I'd been collecting for ten years or so. (A
couple came from neighbours, also I re-use old batteries for horse
electric fencing but they die eventually).

Got a few quid for ironwork too, a bit more for copper, but mostly from
the batteries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 11:43:29 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 03/04/2021 14:37, T i m wrote:

The last time I took a car full of stuff (inc probably 10 batteries)
I got nearly £100 and being retired and the scrap yard probably only 1
mile away, very much 'worth my time'. ;-)

Similarly (even at 7 miles), I'd been collecting for ten years or so. (A
couple came from neighbours, also I re-use old batteries for horse
electric fencing but they die eventually).

And you have also eeked out the time before they need to be recycled
(a good thing).

Got a few quid for ironwork too, a bit more for copper, but mostly from
the batteries.

Yeah, 'mixed light iron' isn't normally worth much so you need quite a
bit in one load to make it even cover the fuel cost. Ally is similar
but because being light, you still need a fair load to get anywhere.

Copper / brass has always been good and it pains me to see plumbers
and sparkies running large quantities of obviously brand new gear in,
often as a way of nicking cash out of a job at other peoples expense.

Not the same as a plumber taking away an old boiler, cylinder or old
imperial fittings and covering his expenses etc.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 15:44, Robin wrote:
On 03/04/2021 14:08, charles wrote:

snip

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

while cash sales are banned there is no law against offering a cheque
cashing service on the same premises

I thought it had to be seen to go into an account?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will
probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I left a car battery in our front garden the other day - about an hour
later my wife saw someone making off with it. Round our way leaving
anything out front is a sure fire way to recycle.

For both of the two that I got rid off, they sat for a month or more
outside the front door until I got round to a tip run.

I moaned bitterly about some stuff being delivered on a pallet which they
wouldn't take away with them. Thinking I'd have to break it up and take to
the tip. Being wet, I left it in the (small) front garden. Gone the next
day.

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 15:53, Fredxx wrote:
On 03/04/2021 15:44, Robin wrote:
On 03/04/2021 14:08, charles wrote:

snip

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

while cash sales are banned there is no law against offering a cheque
cashing service on the same premises

I thought it had to be seen to go into an account?

The legislation explicitly permits non-transferable cheque or electronic
transfer.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 03/04/2021 22:12, John Smith wrote:
Funniest thing is an armchair we put outside, which swiftly disappeared.
Next weekend the kids and I went to Brick Lane market and the kids
spotted the armchair and started playing on it. The bloke then tried to
sell it to me for £50.

Should have told him he can give you £50 so you dont report him for theft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 03/04/2021 15:44, Robin wrote:
On 03/04/2021 14:08, charles wrote:

snip

they aren't scrap yards any more. they need to be licenced and conduct
their business legally. Can't give you cash anymore. Nearest on to be is
called "Guildford Metal Exchange"

while cash sales are banned there is no law against offering a cheque
cashing service on the same premises

I thought it had to be seen to go into an account?

That would seem to be the common way.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Smith wrote in news:2021040318145743662-
nospam@nospamcom:

On 2021-04-03 13:37:23 +0000, T i m said:

Put them on your property boundary with a 'Take me' note and they will
probably be gone by the morning (saving you a trip)?

I left a car battery in our front garden the other day - about an hour
later my wife saw someone making off with it. Round our way leaving
anything out front is a sure fire way to recycle.

Sorry - I think it is very irresponsible:

Others take your lead and all sorts of stuff appear on the front making the
area look a mess.

Those who take it will fly tip the unwanted parts.

They will contaminate land with fluids.

It encourages undesirables to keep driving past looking for stuff..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I moaned bitterly about some stuff being delivered on a pallet which they
wouldn't take away with them. Thinking I'd have to break it up and take to
the tip. Being wet, I left it in the (small) front garden. Gone the next
day.

That wasn't such a wet thing to do.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 12:52, T i m wrote:
Ally is similar
but because being light, you still need a fair load to get anywhere.

Aluminium is the same weight per kilo as copper or brass.

Bill