Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Going rate for scrap car?

Just an idle question : what's the current going rate for scrapping a
car for the metal these days?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive
George writes
Just an idle question : what's the current going rate for scrapping a
car for the metal these days?

I scrapped a BMW520 in the summer, I got £180

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
Just an idle question : what's the current going rate for scrapping a
car for the metal these days?

dunno. last time I did it was in the 50-100 bracket but that was years ago.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just an idle question : what's the current going rate for scrapping a
car for the metal these days?

There's a large mobile advertisement (the sort on a trailer that's
parked beside the road) around here (North East) that says "Any scrap
car: £100 minimum".

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Clive George wrote:
Just an idle question : what's the current going rate for scrapping a
car for the metal these days?

Ford focus, 170k on the clock but still a runner. Got several offers ranging
from 180 to 220 quid (SE Kent). This was a month or so ago so pretty current.

IIRC, http://www.cartakeback.com/ was best price for us - but YMMV. Can't
recommend as in the end as the dealer my dad was getting his motability
car through offered 200 quid. Wasn't worth messing around for the extra
20 quid.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 21:36:14 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article , Clive
George wrote:
Just an idle question : what's the current going rate for scrapping a
car for the metal these days?

Ford focus, 170k on the clock but still a runner. Got several offers
ranging from 180 to 220 quid (SE Kent). This was a month or so ago so
pretty current.

Thought I hadn't noticed the C-Max for long...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

Ford focus, 170k on the clock but still a runner. Got several offers
ranging from 180 to 220 quid (SE Kent). This was a month or so ago so
pretty current.

Thought I hadn't noticed the C-Max for long...

heh, nope - i've had the cmax since 07. 130k on clock now so looking to
get rid now :-)

My old focus I gave to my dad - that's the one with the high milage
(190k actually, not 170). Still on it's original clutch as well...

Can't say it owes us anything :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:04:48 +0000, D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

Ford focus, 170k on the clock but still a runner. Got several offers
ranging from 180 to 220 quid (SE Kent). This was a month or so ago so
pretty current.

Thought I hadn't noticed the C-Max for long...

heh, nope - i've had the cmax since 07. 130k on clock now so looking to
get rid now :-)

I'm probably noticing it because we just got one...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Another John writes
Just an idle question : what's the current going rate for scrapping a
car for the metal these days?

There's a large mobile advertisement (the sort on a trailer that's
parked beside the road) around here (North East) that says "Any scrap
car: £100 minimum".

They lie. Cue, "ah, it's only an xxxx yyyy, nah, I can pick it up but
I can't give you anything for it".

You can try to avoid this if you don't wait until the day before the
tax/sorn/insurance is due to expire and are prepared to phone around a
bit.

Geoff's beemer will prob have been worth a bit in spares.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article
,
Another John writes
Just an idle question : what's the current going rate for scrapping a
car for the metal these days?

There's a large mobile advertisement (the sort on a trailer that's
parked beside the road) around here (North East) that says "Any scrap
car: £100 minimum".

They lie. Cue, "ah, it's only an xxxx yyyy, nah, I can pick it up but
I can't give you anything for it".

You can try to avoid this if you don't wait until the day before the
tax/sorn/insurance is due to expire and are prepared to phone around a
bit.

Geoff's beemer will prob have been worth a bit in spares.

Absolutely,

but they put it on a weighbridge and that was the value of the scrap
weight (should have filled the boot with concrete)

I just needed rid of it

--
geoff