Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telegraph Posts

(are they still called that) BT Openreach have been doing some work in my
area (Fibre?) and on my daily walks I have noticed some poles have at the
base a 20mm diameter rod or tube abutting the post with about a foot above
ground and a metal staple holding it against the post - and a rubber or
plastic cap on it.

Has anyone noticed the same and has any idea what it could be?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 11:40:54 GMT, JohnP wrote:

(are they still called that)

I thought they were called telegraph poles.

BT Openreach have been doing some work in my
area (Fibre?) and on my daily walks I have noticed some poles have at the
base a 20mm diameter rod or tube abutting the post with about a foot above
ground and a metal staple holding it against the post - and a rubber or
plastic cap on it.

Has anyone noticed the same and has any idea what it could be?

I believe they are now allowed to use overhead fibre optic cables and
there is some modification to the poles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2021 12:40, JohnP wrote:
(are they still called that) BT Openreach have been doing some work in my
area (Fibre?) and on my daily walks I have noticed some poles have at the
base a 20mm diameter rod or tube abutting the post with about a foot above
ground and a metal staple holding it against the post - and a rubber or
plastic cap on it.

Has anyone noticed the same and has any idea what it could be?

I have seen it done when they want to bring an underground cable out
next to a post from an underground conduit, with the intention of then
running a wire up the side of the pole. The cap just there until the
separate team come along to pull the wire.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 12:58:35 PM UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 11:40:54 GMT, JohnP wrote:

(are they still called that)

I thought they were called telegraph poles.
BT Openreach have been doing some work in my
area (Fibre?) and on my daily walks I have noticed some poles have at the
base a 20mm diameter rod or tube abutting the post with about a foot above
ground and a metal staple holding it against the post - and a rubber or
plastic cap on it.

Has anyone noticed the same and has any idea what it could be?

I believe they are now allowed to use overhead fibre optic cables and
there is some modification to the poles.

All the wooden poles round here just have bog standard copper wiring but all have the stapled rod going into the ground. If you want to find out where they have FTTP or are in the process of installing or are due to install go here to find out;

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broa...firstlocations

In our case a neighbouring village is due to have FTTP soon, sod's law we are just a couple of hundred metres outside the zone, Grrrr!

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Apr 2021 at 13:12:46 BST, "John Rumm"
wrote:

On 12/04/2021 12:40, JohnP wrote:
(are they still called that) BT Openreach have been doing some work in my
area (Fibre?) and on my daily walks I have noticed some poles have at the
base a 20mm diameter rod or tube abutting the post with about a foot above
ground and a metal staple holding it against the post - and a rubber or
plastic cap on it.

Has anyone noticed the same and has any idea what it could be?

I have seen it done when they want to bring an underground cable out
next to a post from an underground conduit, with the intention of then
running a wire up the side of the pole. The cap just there until the
separate team come along to pull the wire.

The cable ducts are usually about 40mm grey plastic. I have seen the approx
20mm metal ones, I assume they are attached to an earth rod in case anything
needs earthing. BICBW An alternative is mains supply, but the poles I have
seen are not near an existing one.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Scott
wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 11:40:54 GMT, JohnP wrote:

(are they still called that)

I thought they were called telegraph poles.

BT Openreach have been doing some work in my area (Fibre?) and on my
daily walks I have noticed some poles have at the base a 20mm diameter
rod or tube abutting the post with about a foot above ground and a
metal staple holding it against the post - and a rubber or plastic cap
on it.

Has anyone noticed the same and has any idea what it could be?

I believe they are now allowed to use overhead fibre optic cables and
there is some modification to the poles.

there are some of those on our village. The pole has a notice to that
effect,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Tricky Dicky writes
All the wooden poles round here just have bog standard copper wiring
but all have the stapled rod going into the ground.

There is a telegraph pole on the verge outside of my house. It was
installed after I moved here. I noticed that the first time the council
mowed the verge, they broke the earth wire. I did mention this to BT,
but many years later it is still broken.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote

(are they still called that) BT Openreach have been doing some
work in my area (Fibre?) and on my daily walks I have noticed
some poles have at the base a 20mm diameter rod or tube abutting
the post with about a foot above ground and a metal staple holding
it against the post - and a rubber or plastic cap on it.

Has anyone noticed the same and has any idea what it could be?

It’s the new surveillance cameras and you will be summarily
hung, drawn and quartered for spilling the beans, you bugger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 05:34:40 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile troll****

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates

Telegraph pole stay Mike Barnes[_2_] UK diy 82 September 7th 17 08:36 AM
Telegraph OT Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 32 May 9th 14 05:50 PM
OT Telegraph Global warming. harryagain[_2_] UK diy 49 November 25th 13 04:53 PM
Hollowing out telegraph poles TrailRat Woodworking 27 July 31st 06 09:40 PM
Prescott plans a new disaster for house sales Christopher Booker Telegraph Ophelia UK diy 55 January 30th 06 12:23 PM