Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moss and Bleach

Has anyone got domestic-strength (about 4.5%) bleach to kill established
moss on a pathway?

If so, was it neat or could you get it to work when diluted - and at
what dilution?

TIA

PA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2021 16:24, Peter Able wrote:
Has anyone got domestic-strength (about 4.5%) bleach to kill established
moss on a pathway?

If so, was it neat or could you get it to work when diluted - and at
what dilution?

TIA

PA

I use it at about 50% diluted with caustic soda to kill moss and other
growth on my drive and patio.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2021 16:24, Peter Able wrote:
Has anyone got domestic-strength (about 4.5%) bleach to kill established
moss on a pathway?

If so, was it neat or could you get it to work when diluted - and at
what dilution?

If you are going to use chemicals to do it you might at least use the
right ones. Anything else will be almost a waste of time. Likewise if
the conditions are right for moss and lichens they will quickly return.

"Wet and forget" is about the simplest to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Forget-.../dp/B005IW4GWI

Don't expect miracles. The moss is there because of the cool and damp.
It will return next winter without fail.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2021 20:54, Martin Brown wrote:

"Wet and forget" is about the simplest to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Forget-.../dp/B005IW4GWI

That is probably a lower concentration version of BAC50.

https://job-prices.co.uk/best-moss-killer/

BAC 50 prices seem to have risen significantly during our lockdowns but
should fall back to around £25 for 5L (incl postage), as they did after
the first lockdown.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2021 07:59, alan_m wrote:
On 30/03/2021 20:54, Martin Brown wrote:

"Wet and forget" is about the simplest to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Forget-.../dp/B005IW4GWI

That is probably a lower concentration version of BAC50.

https://job-prices.co.uk/best-moss-killer/

BAC 50 prices seem to have risen significantly during our lockdowns but
should fall back to around £25 for 5L (incl postage), as they did after
the first lockdown.

I prefer to use biological washing powder, cheaper and just as
effective, also kinder on other things in and around the garden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2021 08:04, Broadback wrote:
On 31/03/2021 07:59, alan_m wrote:
On 30/03/2021 20:54, Martin Brown wrote:

"Wet and forget" is about the simplest to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Forget-.../dp/B005IW4GWI

That is probably a lower concentration version of BAC50.

https://job-prices.co.uk/best-moss-killer/

BAC 50 prices seem to have risen significantly during our lockdowns but
should fall back to around £25 for 5L (incl postage), as they did after
the first lockdown.

I prefer to use biological washing powder, cheaper and just as
effective, also kinder on other things in and around the garden.

....is the right answer. I use four times the normal (washing)
concentration and apply it via a watering can. It's cheap, cheerful, and
effective. The moss I bumped off last October has just started to make a
much-weakened re-appearance, which was very easy to re-treat. I doubt
I'll see it again until November.

For small areas or difficult-to-reach areas I use the same dilution in a
used trigger-pack.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

"Wet and forget" is about the simplest to use.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Forget-.../dp/B005IW4GWI

That is probably a lower concentration version of BAC50.

According to the MSDS, yes it is, single active ingredient
Benzalkonium chloride 68424-85-1 10 %

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2021 09:36, Spike wrote:
On 31/03/2021 08:04, Broadback wrote:
On 31/03/2021 07:59, alan_m wrote:
On 30/03/2021 20:54, Martin Brown wrote:

"Wet and forget" is about the simplest to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Forget-.../dp/B005IW4GWI

That is probably a lower concentration version of BAC50.

https://job-prices.co.uk/best-moss-killer/

BAC 50 prices seem to have risen significantly during our lockdowns but
should fall back to around £25 for 5L (incl postage), as they did after
the first lockdown.

I prefer to use biological washing powder, cheaper and just as
effective, also kinder on other things in and around the garden.

...is the right answer. I use four times the normal (washing)
concentration.

What would you reckon that works out as grammes of Bio Washing Powder to
a litre of water?

PA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 12:16:58 PM UTC+1, Peter Able wrote:
[...]

Just sprinkle the biological powder over the moss. You can wait for rain or mist it. Don't go hard on the hose or you'll just wash the powder into the drains. Good for at least one year or more I.M..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2021 17:40, Spike wrote:
On 31/03/2021 10:16, Peter Able wrote:
On 31/03/2021 09:36, Spike wrote:
On 31/03/2021 08:04, Broadback wrote:
On 31/03/2021 07:59, alan_m wrote:
On 30/03/2021 20:54, Martin Brown wrote:

"Wet and forget" is about the simplest to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wet-Forget-.../dp/B005IW4GWI

That is probably a lower concentration version of BAC50.

https://job-prices.co.uk/best-moss-killer/

BAC 50 prices seem to have risen significantly during our lockdowns but
should fall back to around £25 for 5L (incl postage), as they did after
the first lockdown.

I prefer to use biological washing powder, cheaper and just as
effective, also kinder on other things in and around the garden.

...is the right answer. I use four times the normal (washing)
concentration.

What would you reckon that works out as grammes of Bio Washing Powder to
a litre of water?

What amount of powder do they suggest for use in a washing machine? How
much water does the machine use for a main wash? The rest is simple
arithmetic...

I use liquid bio as we have some, and it's easier to mix, but you could
sprinkle the powder on directly, and either very lightly damp it or wait
for it to rain.

Only you have the data on which you based your statement, Spike.

PA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2021 16:34, Peter Able wrote:
[...]

Well, the data is that a 4x concentration of liquid bio watered onto
driveway moss made it go away, apparently mostly permanently.

I got the idea from a post on here late last year, which spoke of
builders who had replaced flat roofs, spreading powder bio onto the
chippings in order to prevent moss growth for a period of up to five years.

I hadn't got any powder bio to hand, and in any case didn't want my
tarmac surface covered with it, so decided to experiment by applying a
solution as described. In practise, about 10 percent of the moss
recently started to reappear, which was easily zapped with a
hand-sprayer of the type I mentioned.

Perhaps a 5x concentration might have killed it all, and if any returns
in Autumn I might try that.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]