Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mains failure

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
I know someone with a Honda Accord, which has a SatNav. It's now pretty
useless unless he pays the £300 or so for an upgraded map. Only Honda
can program the unit.

Had exactly the same with my car. Luckily pirates abound, and got it done
for a reasonable sum. I've no morals about doing so when the makers
attempt to rip you off.

Bit the same as workshop manuals. 'Sorry, sir - only for our own dealers'
Ok - I'll buy a pirated one.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 15/03/2021 09:21, Roger Hayter wrote:
Well, of course! We were part of the EU then. But I don't think
the manufacturers would have taken much notice if a single country
suggested standardisation - my point was that it was something only a
market the size of the EU could demand.

Golly. However did we end up with a standardised rail gauge,
standardised mains voltages, standardised car tyre sizes, standardised
film sizes, all before the EU was even a spaffed out spurt in a
communist's prison cell?

Even a standardised bumper height.

Really? In the days of separate bumpers, wasn't unusual to have different
heights front and back.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
A sensible cordless base station would have a corded handset that works
with no power.

You jest, I assume? Clutter the thing up with something you may never need?

I have two keyboards on this PC. A USB one used all the time and
a PS/2 DEC LK466 one tucked behind the system unit in case there
is an issue with upgrades (it always works).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
A sensible cordless base station would have a corded handset that works
with no power.

You jest, I assume? Clutter the thing up with something you may never need?

It wouldn't take a lot to add a couple of contacts to the handset so it
works without using RF when resting on the base station. Although the
question then is what you can power from the line voltage and how you
arrange that, as there might not be enough for all the fancy displays etc.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article , Max
Demian wrote:
A sensible cordless base station would have a corded handset that
works with no power.

You jest, I assume? Clutter the thing up with something you may never
need?

It wouldn't take a lot to add a couple of contacts to the handset so it
works without using RF when resting on the base station. Although the
question then is what you can power from the line voltage and how you
arrange that, as there might not be enough for all the fancy displays
etc.

Be easier to simply add re-chargeable battery backup to the base station?
You wouldn't then have to find the instructions on how to use it in event
of a mains failure. It would be seamless. But a lot of extra cost for a
'just in case'

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

Owain Lastname wrote:

I've written down the number for power cuts

Do you mean 105?

Western Power sent a glow in the dark fridge magnet with an 0800 number
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2021 15:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

Owain Lastname wrote:

I've written down the number for power cuts

Do you mean 105?

Western Power sent a glow in the dark fridge magnet with an 0800 number

I think 105 works anywhere. And if you call from a landline they know
where you are and can tell you about any power cuts they know about.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Western Power sent a glow in the dark fridge magnet with an 0800 number

Mine doesn't glow :-(

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
Western Power sent a glow in the dark fridge magnet with an 0800 number

Mine doesn't glow :-(

It's not exactly made of radium, just a long-ish persistence phosphor,
try shining a UV torch on it to "charge" it ...