DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Mains failure (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/685472-mains-failure.html)

Dave Plowman (News) March 14th 21 11:28 AM

Mains failure

Next door neighbour - a widow of 89 who lives on her own and is getting
pretty frail, had a total power failure yesterday morning. And couldn't
summon help as both her phones are cordless, and no mobile. So was only
discovered when her daughter visited that evening, as she does every day.

Turned out to be the supply into the house which had failed. So UK Power
Network supplied a generator, which arrived sometime in the middle of the
night and is thrumming away nicely now.

As it happens I know a bit about her wiring. Some years ago I installed
the cordless phones for her. As the cabled one was in the very cold
hallway. Put an extension BT socket in the lounge and also a mains socket
for the base station since there wasn't one handy. The second one went in
her bedroom, I was told. Left the original phone in the hall, still
working normally.

Now the ring main had been installed by her long dead husband. Mainly
surface wired with those 50s surface MK sockets. Only earth in the house
to the water main. Rest of the wiring ancient - porcelain fuses with
separate breakers - the usual mess of added things. Very likely dating to
well before WW2 - although light switches had been replaced by modern ones.

So wondering if the supply, once replaced, will be re-connected?

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Jack Harry Teesdale March 14th 21 11:50 AM

Mains failure

[...]

Much depends on wether UK Power need to enter the property to reconnect
the supply after restoration.

ISTM that some essential remedial work on the 'earthing' may be required
particularly if PME is connected.

Generally from what you have mentioned, a rewire would seem to be
desirable but i doubt if UK Power could insist on this before reconnection.

Dave Plowman (News) March 14th 21 12:26 PM

Mains failure

In article ,
Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
[...]

They were in the cellar where the fusebox etc are last night - by the
light coming from the grill on the steps to the front door. If it is a
connection fault between the house feed to the street feed, surely they'd
replace the ancient cable to the house anyway?

ISTM that some essential remedial work on the 'earthing' may be required
particularly if PME is connected.

No PME round here.

Generally from what you have mentioned, a rewire would seem to be
desirable but i doubt if UK Power could insist on this before reconnection.

OK.

--
*ATHEISM IS A NON-PROPHET ORGANIZATION.

Scott[_17_] March 14th 21 12:34 PM

Mains failure

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 11:28:30 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Next door neighbour - a widow of 89 who lives on her own and is getting
pretty frail, had a total power failure yesterday morning. And couldn't
summon help as both her phones are cordless, and no mobile. So was only
discovered when her daughter visited that evening, as she does every day.

Turned out to be the supply into the house which had failed. So UK Power
Network supplied a generator, which arrived sometime in the middle of the
night and is thrumming away nicely now.

As it happens I know a bit about her wiring. Some years ago I installed
the cordless phones for her. As the cabled one was in the very cold
hallway. Put an extension BT socket in the lounge and also a mains socket
for the base station since there wasn't one handy. The second one went in
her bedroom, I was told. Left the original phone in the hall, still
working normally.

Why did your neigbour not use the phone in the hall to call for
assistance?

Now the ring main had been installed by her long dead husband. Mainly
surface wired with those 50s surface MK sockets. Only earth in the house
to the water main. Rest of the wiring ancient - porcelain fuses with
separate breakers - the usual mess of added things. Very likely dating to
well before WW2 - although light switches had been replaced by modern ones.

So wondering if the supply, once replaced, will be re-connected?

I have spoken to my friend (now retired from another electricity
company). He says it would have to be pretty bad for reconnection to
be refused. They are likely to carry out a basic insulation test and
if this is bad, the system could be deemed unsafe. The most likely
outcome is for the supply to be reconnected with an 'advisory' on work
to be carried out.

To my surprise, he also said that provision of a new earth is
chargeable and earthing in itself is unlikely to prevent reconnection
taking place.

Jack Harry Teesdale March 14th 21 12:37 PM

Mains failure

In article ,
Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
[...]

That depends what the fault is, if it is just a dilapidated service
cable they may replace it but if it is a failed joint at the street
cable it would just be repaired in the street.

Dave Plowman (News) March 14th 21 12:47 PM

Mains failure

In article ,
Scott wrote:
As it happens I know a bit about her wiring. Some years ago I installed
the cordless phones for her. As the cabled one was in the very cold
hallway. Put an extension BT socket in the lounge and also a mains socket
for the base station since there wasn't one handy. The second one went in
her bedroom, I was told. Left the original phone in the hall, still
working normally.

Why did your neigbour not use the phone in the hall to call for
assistance?

Remember noticing it had been removed. It was on a phone shelf, that may
have fallen off the wall.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Martin Brown[_3_] March 14th 21 01:15 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

[...]

Probably forgotten it was there. Frail elderly living alone should be
encouraged to get a Care on Call installation (monthly fee applies) so
that they have a pendant to use in the event of a fall or whatever.

Now the ring main had been installed by her long dead husband. Mainly
surface wired with those 50s surface MK sockets. Only earth in the house
to the water main. Rest of the wiring ancient - porcelain fuses with
separate breakers - the usual mess of added things. Very likely dating to
well before WW2 - although light switches had been replaced by modern ones.

So wondering if the supply, once replaced, will be re-connected?

I have spoken to my friend (now retired from another electricity
company). He says it would have to be pretty bad for reconnection to
be refused. They are likely to carry out a basic insulation test and
if this is bad, the system could be deemed unsafe. The most likely
outcome is for the supply to be reconnected with an 'advisory' on work
to be carried out.

What might happen is that they reconnect but with a reduced capacity
main fuse. Someone I knew was in this bind for getting a smart meter
installed. The guy installing it told him that once he made any changes
at all he would have to downgrade the installation to ISTR 40A main fuse
because of the age and decrepitude of the house wiring. Still round pin
plugs about - weird hybrid mix of sockets and not many of them.

To my surprise, he also said that provision of a new earth is
chargeable and earthing in itself is unlikely to prevent reconnection
taking place.

I thought they did an earth bonding return test with some maximum
threshold that was acceptable. Likely that an old metal cold water main
bonding will easily pass though unless very corroded.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 14th 21 01:34 PM

Mains failure

In article ,
Scott wrote:
As it happens I know a bit about her wiring. Some years ago I installed
the cordless phones for her. As the cabled one was in the very cold
hallway. Put an extension BT socket in the lounge and also a mains socket
for the base station since there wasn't one handy. The second one went in
her bedroom, I was told. Left the original phone in the hall, still
working normally.

Why did your neigbour not use the phone in the hall to call for
assistance?

Remember noticing it had been removed. It was on a phone shelf, that may
have fallen off the wall.

This doesn't bode well for when the copper wires go and we all have to
use VoiP for a fibre connection. How long will a backup battery will be
required to power the phone/router when the power goes down? How long
will a battery support a personal alarm receiver?

--

Jeff

charles March 14th 21 01:53 PM

Mains failure

In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

Probably forgotten it was there. Frail elderly living alone should be
encouraged to get a Care on Call installation (monthly fee applies) so
that they have a pendant to use in the event of a fall or whatever.

My father had one which was very useful when he slipped and fell, then
unable to get to his feet by himself.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Scott[_17_] March 14th 21 02:09 PM

Mains failure

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 13:34:01 +0000, Jeff Layman

In article ,
Scott wrote:
As it happens I know a bit about her wiring. Some years ago I installed
the cordless phones for her. As the cabled one was in the very cold
hallway. Put an extension BT socket in the lounge and also a mains socket
for the base station since there wasn't one handy. The second one went in
her bedroom, I was told. Left the original phone in the hall, still
working normally.

Why did your neigbour not use the phone in the hall to call for
assistance?

Remember noticing it had been removed. It was on a phone shelf, that may
have fallen off the wall.

This doesn't bode well for when the copper wires go and we all have to
use VoiP for a fibre connection. How long will a backup battery will be
required to power the phone/router when the power goes down? How long
will a battery support a personal alarm receiver?

And will the telecoms provider meet the cost?

T i m March 14th 21 02:14 PM

Mains failure

Scott wrote:
As it happens I know a bit about her wiring. Some years ago I installed
the cordless phones for her. As the cabled one was in the very cold
hallway. Put an extension BT socket in the lounge and also a mains socket
for the base station since there wasn't one handy. The second one went in
her bedroom, I was told. Left the original phone in the hall, still
working normally.

Why did your neigbour not use the phone in the hall to call for
assistance?

Remember noticing it had been removed. It was on a phone shelf, that may
have fallen off the wall.

This doesn't bode well for when the copper wires go and we all have to
use VoiP for a fibre connection. How long will a backup battery will be
required to power the phone/router when the power goes down?

Quite some time. My old NTL cable router requires 12V @ 1.5A so worst
case that's ~20W. A fairly common UPS would be ~600VA so ~15 hours
(down to 50% DOD?) maybe 10 if there was an Ethernet switch involved
or 8 if you included a DECT / VOIP phone?

How long
will a battery support a personal alarm receiver?

Some (most / all?) are already battery-backed anyway (Mum's is).

Cheers, T i m

Chris Green March 14th 21 02:36 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

This doesn't bode well for when the copper wires go and we all have to
use VoiP for a fibre connection. How long will a backup battery will be
required to power the phone/router when the power goes down?

Quite some time. My old NTL cable router requires 12V @ 1.5A so worst
case that's ~20W. A fairly common UPS would be ~600VA so ~15 hours
(down to 50% DOD?) maybe 10 if there was an Ethernet switch involved
or 8 if you included a DECT / VOIP phone?

You're not comparing the right things! A 600VA UPS can provide up to
600VA, that's *power*, it doesn't tell you for how long it will
provide that 600VA. Usually a domestic/computer UPS will only provide
its rated (i.e. maximum) power for 20 or 30 minutes to give you enough
time to shut down gracefully.

--
Chris Green
·

GB March 14th 21 02:42 PM

Mains failure

On 14/03/2021 13:53, charles wrote:
In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

Probably forgotten it was there. Frail elderly living alone should be
encouraged to get a Care on Call installation (monthly fee applies) so
that they have a pendant to use in the event of a fall or whatever.

My father had one which was very useful when he slipped and fell, then
unable to get to his feet by himself.

The one MIL had (and absolutely refused to wear!) required mains
electricity.

GB March 14th 21 02:43 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

Probably forgotten it was there. Frail elderly living alone should be
encouraged to get a Care on Call installation (monthly fee applies) so
that they have a pendant to use in the event of a fall or whatever.

My father had one which was very useful when he slipped and fell, then
unable to get to his feet by himself.

The one MIL had (and absolutely refused to wear!) required mains
electricity.

My aunt, OTOH, refused to wear hers inside the house, but religiously
wore it when she went to the shops.

Robin March 14th 21 02:50 PM

Mains failure

Scott wrote:
[...]

AFAIK the requirement on telecoms providers is still that customers gave
the means to make calls to the emergency services (999/112) for 1 hour
after a power cut, but they only have to provide it free of charge for
"at risk" customers. For the rest of us that may mean "get a mobile" or
"buy a battery backup unit".

And the personal alarm systems I've seen all came with base units which
required a mains supply and had built-in battery backup to allow them to
operate in the event of a power outage.

--
Robin

Robin March 14th 21 02:52 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

Probably forgotten it was there. Frail elderly living alone should be
encouraged to get a Care on Call installation (monthly fee applies) so
that they have a pendant to use in the event of a fall or whatever.

My father had one which was very useful when he slipped and fell, then
unable to get to his feet by himself.

The one MIL had (and absolutely refused to wear!) required mains
electricity.

Quite right: walking around trailing a mains flex would have been a trip
hazard :)

--
Robin

Scott[_17_] March 14th 21 02:54 PM

Mains failure

Scott wrote:
[...]

Is 'at risk' purely a function of age or do other risk factors need to
be demonstrated? I assume the person described by OP would qualify.

Fredxx[_4_] March 14th 21 03:04 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

This doesn't bode well for when the copper wires go and we all have to
use VoiP for a fibre connection. How long will a backup battery will be
required to power the phone/router when the power goes down?

Quite some time. My old NTL cable router requires 12V @ 1.5A so worst
case that's ~20W. A fairly common UPS would be ~600VA so ~15 hours
(down to 50% DOD?) maybe 10 if there was an Ethernet switch involved
or 8 if you included a DECT / VOIP phone?

No

You're not comparing the right things! A 600VA UPS can provide up to
600VA, that's *power*, it doesn't tell you for how long it will
provide that 600VA. Usually a domestic/computer UPS will only provide
its rated (i.e. maximum) power for 20 or 30 minutes to give you enough
time to shut down gracefully.

I think mine has two 12V 7Ah batteries. The UPS might also consume 5% of
the rated 600VA just by providing the 240V. So no load will provide
something like a little over 1hr of 240Vac. Also a Lead Acid capacity
under a discharge of 1C will only get 66% of the C20 rate.

At rated output of 600W assuming PF of 1.0 I doubt the UPS would last 10
minutes at a 5C discharge rat or worse.

robert March 14th 21 03:12 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

This doesn't bode well for when the copper wires go and we all have to
use VoiP for a fibre connection. How long will a backup battery will be
required to power the phone/router when the power goes down?

Quite some time. My old NTL cable router requires 12V @ 1.5A so worst
case that's ~20W. A fairly common UPS would be ~600VA so ~15 hours
(down to 50% DOD?) maybe 10 if there was an Ethernet switch involved
or 8 if you included a DECT / VOIP phone?

No

You're not comparing the right things!Â* A 600VA UPS can provide up to
600VA, that's *power*, it doesn't tell you for how long it will
provide that 600VA.Â* Usually a domestic/computer UPS will only provide
its rated (i.e. maximum) power for 20 or 30 minutes to give you enough
time to shut down gracefully.

I think mine has two 12V 7Ah batteries. The UPS might also consume 5% of
the rated 600VA just by providing the 240V. So no load will provide
something like a little over 1hr of 240Vac. Also a Lead Acid capacity
under a discharge of 1C will only get 66% of the C20 rate.

At rated output of 600W assuming PF of 1.0 I doubt the UPS would last 10
minutes at a 5C discharge rat or worse.

When looking at UPSs it is (or was) surprisingly difficult to find the
data on the actual capacity in terms of watthours or VAhours, which for
anything more than time to close down properly is what I was always
interested in.

Andrew[_22_] March 14th 21 03:15 PM

Mains failure

On 14/03/2021 13:34, Jeff Layman wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Scott wrote:
[...]

Are Openreach going to dig up thousands of miles of underground
copper cables that are just buried in soil and replace with fibre ?.

Fredxx[_4_] March 14th 21 03:36 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

[...]

Which is why I set my critical battery level to be 40% or so, to make
sure there is enough time left to hibernate. I have no idea why Windows
default value is 5%.

I also find anything less that 20% is very inaccurate in terms of time
left before the UPS gives out.

Robin March 14th 21 03:40 PM

Mains failure

Scott wrote:
[...]

I don't know if Ofcom have defined what it means.

--
Robin

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) March 14th 21 03:42 PM

Mains failure

Well as a vulnerable person I think it will but with the proviso that some
remedial work is done withing a certain time. That used to be how they did
things, but who knows these days. it very much depends on the actual safety
ie if its old rubber and fabric wire like we had its an accident waiting to
happen. We had a rewire in the 7-s, and although its the old colours at
least there are breakers not cruddy ceramic fuses and wire!
Looking at the more recent Storage heater wiring, to be honest it looks
worse than the old stuff we had done. Surface mounted skirting board
switches, plastic conduit and ordinary but thick flexible cable to the
heaters.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

charles March 14th 21 03:54 PM

Mains failure

In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 14/03/2021 13:34, Jeff Layman wrote:
In article , Scott
wrote:
[...]

A very large amount is in ducts - and the pikeys know it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 14th 21 05:07 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

[...]

I'm not surprised; I think that most of UPS are meant for just a few
minutes use to allow an organised shut down.

But the situation regarding Dect phones, routers (and even alarm
receivers) could be looked at in two ways. I guess you could use an
ordinary computer-type UPS, which would be used as one unit connected to
a distribution strip to which the Dect phone, etc would be connected.
The alternative, as Dect phones and routers are usually supplied from an
external power supply is to use a low voltage UPS such as the one shown
he

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uninterruptible-100V-240V-8800mAH-Portable-Wireless-UPS-BLACK/dp/B07R4FGWDX/ref=psdc_430442031_t3_B0187PWCLO

The problem is that its specs could be misleading unless you read them
carefully. If you bring up the photo at the bottom of the six options,
it shows its DC output is a maximum of 15W. So with a 12V supply, the
maximum current would be expected to be 1.25A. But it's actually given
as 1.0A at 9 or 12 V. The other voltages shown - 15 and 24V - are for POE
My Fritz!Box router uses an average of 6W (that's with Dect on, but with
no active call), so might last a couple of hours. Note, though, that
there's only one DC output socket, so some sort of splitter would be
required. Maybe for those with a higher budget something like this would
be better:

https://uk.dhgate.com/product/500w-portable-ups-power-battery-ac-110v-220v/411369938.html#dspm=pcen.seo-uk.list.10.cWO65oiIcifayiJTTQ9o&seo_type=1&resourc e_id=411369938#s1-9-1;uk|1952681989

I would hope that the manufacturers of low-voltage equipment could get
together and agree a standard voltage and polarity, such as "12V centre
+ve", in the same way that Mobile phones standardised several years ago
on charging via USB.

--

Jeff

Martin Brown[_3_] March 14th 21 05:15 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

Probably forgotten it was there. Frail elderly living alone should be
encouraged to get a Care on Call installation (monthly fee applies) so
that they have a pendant to use in the event of a fall or whatever.

My father had one which was very useful when he slipped and fell, then
unable to get to his feet by himself.

My mum had one which saved her from falls a couple of times.

The one MIL had (and absolutely refused to wear!) required mains
electricity.

The base station is mains powered but ISTR in the event of power failure
it panics and makes an emergency call by default which the owner can
override when the far end responds.

The pendant took some random size of battery and lasted for ages.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

T i m March 14th 21 05:17 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

This doesn't bode well for when the copper wires go and we all have to
use VoiP for a fibre connection. How long will a backup battery will be
required to power the phone/router when the power goes down?

Quite some time. My old NTL cable router requires 12V @ 1.5A so worst
case that's ~20W. A fairly common UPS would be ~600VA so ~15 hours
(down to 50% DOD?) maybe 10 if there was an Ethernet switch involved
or 8 if you included a DECT / VOIP phone?

You're not comparing the right things! A 600VA UPS can provide up to
600VA, that's *power*, it doesn't tell you for how long it will
provide that 600VA.

You are right of course, I was being distracted at the time. That
said, for the rating of UPS I stated it's possible you could still run
some light load stuff for several hours.

Usually a domestic/computer UPS will only provide
its rated (i.e. maximum) power for 20 or 30 minutes to give you enough
time to shut down gracefully.

Yes, that is it's 'typical role' but I have run all sorts of things,
using them like a 240V AC 'battery' and have often been impressed how
long they last (given the starting point of a good battery etc).

I have several devices (2 x RPi, 1 x Shuttle PC, 1 x Synology NAS and
an Anglepoise with a CFL in it g) just hanging off a 600VA APC
Back-UPS (no 'smart interfaces') and so far they have continued to run
over any power supply interruptions we have had (one early morning
power cut and me turning the ring off a couple of times, forgetting
they were running from it).

Luckily I had also previously disabled the alarm beeper as it's next
to the bedroom. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Scott[_17_] March 14th 21 05:37 PM

Mains failure

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 10:02:08 -0700 (PDT), Owain Lastname
wrote:

On Sunday, 14 March 2021 at 15:15:41 UTC, Andrew wrote:
This doesn't bode well for when the copper wires go and we all have to
use VoiP for a fibre connection.

Are Openreach going to dig up thousands of miles of underground
copper cables that are just buried in soil and replace with fibre ?.

No; they'll provide, as they do now, VDSL or Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC).

Can this be done with all existing cables? Are there may aluminium
cables remaining now?

They may even provide a low-speed VDSL just suitable for VoIP.

Do they not have a statutory obligation to provide a public telephone
service?

Until quite recently BTOR were installing a fibre ONT which had a battery backup unit and an analogue phone port. Now they are moving to just providing an ethernet port and leaving the analogue phone line to the ISP to provide from the router.

I assume this could be purchased if required then?

What BT really want to get rid of is their telephone exchanges which cost a fortune to run and many are in prime city centre locations

How is that going to work if they are keeping existing copper lines
for use as VDSL? I thought the main purpose of an exchange nowadays
was to terminate all the phone lines.
Owain

Scott[_17_] March 14th 21 05:40 PM

Mains failure

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 10:04:28 -0700 (PDT), Owain Lastname
wrote:

On Sunday, 14 March 2021 at 12:34:23 UTC, Scott wrote:
To my surprise, he also said that provision of a new earth is
chargeable and earthing in itself is unlikely to prevent reconnection
taking place.

A new earth is chargeable and the supplier doesn't have to provide one - but if they do, they must maintain it.

I am surprised that lack of earth doesn't prevent reconnection, but TN-S may be available, or an earth rod isn't that difficult to knock into the ground.

No, he wasn't saying that a lack of earth would be okay. He was
saying if the existing earthing via the plumbing was working (as it
was likely to be if the plumbing was undisturbed) and passed the test,
reconnection could proceed.

Scott[_17_] March 14th 21 05:42 PM

Mains failure

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 10:05:35 -0700 (PDT), Owain Lastname
wrote:

On Sunday, 14 March 2021 at 11:28:47 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Now the ring main had been installed by her long dead husband. Mainly
surface wired with those 50s surface MK sockets.

I inherited one or two from my father. I like those.

Were they the ones that screwed to the wall without needed a mounting
box? Can you not still buy them? Are/were they okay for mounting on
a wooden surface?

charles March 14th 21 06:07 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

[...]

The phone line will only run from the cabinet to the premises.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Robin March 14th 21 06:17 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

On Sunday, 14 March 2021 at 15:15:41 UTC, Andrew wrote:
This doesn't bode well for when the copper wires go and we all have to
use VoiP for a fibre connection.
Are Openreach going to dig up thousands of miles of underground
copper cables that are just buried in soil and replace with fibre ?.

No; they'll provide, as they do now, VDSL or Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC).

Can this be done with all existing cables? Are there may aluminium
cables remaining now?

They may even provide a low-speed VDSL just suitable for VoIP.

Do they not have a statutory obligation to provide a public telephone
service?

A public telephone service doesn't mean you have to be given wires and
free electricity. The future for people who don't want high speed
internet is a basic 500k service to support VOIP. The user gets a
telephone socket so it's a telephone service, innit?

--
Robin

Bob Eager[_7_] March 14th 21 06:23 PM

Mains failure

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 15:36:06 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

Which is why I set my critical battery level to be 40% or so, to make
sure there is enough time left to hibernate. I have no idea why Windows
default value is 5%.

I also find anything less that 20% is very inaccurate in terms of time
left before the UPS gives out.

Mine (I have three) allow calibration to be run. I don't go for a
percentage, but for run time. At 5 minutes left, the connected computer
triggers shutdown on the other machines on the UPS/ After a short pause,
it shuts itself down, asnd as a last gasp, tells the UPS to turn itself
off after (I think) 30 seconds.

Bringing the whole lot up again is complicated - to start with I had some
circular dependencies! I have a laminated sheet stuck to the sode of the
rack - I think there are about 15 steps.

It's not quite as bad as a power station black start - but it feels like
it!

Scott[_17_] March 14th 21 06:31 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

[...]

So it's not a question of 'may provide' but 'will be required to
provide'?

Roger Hayter[_2_] March 14th 21 06:36 PM

Mains failure

On 14 Mar 2021 at 17:07:59 GMT, "Jeff Layman"
wrote:
snip

I would hope that the manufacturers of low-voltage equipment could get
together and agree a standard voltage and polarity, such as "12V centre
+ve", in the same way that Mobile phones standardised several years ago
on charging via USB.

They only did that when the EU told them to. Just saying.

--
Roger Hayter

Scott[_17_] March 14th 21 06:38 PM

Mains failure

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 18:07:02 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That makes sense. All the cabinets will be connected by fibre so an
exchange will still be needed. The copper lines will run as at
present to the premises unless they are fibre to the premises.

What about aluminium phone lines? I thought they performed very badly
with ADSL. And what about properties close to the exchange that are
connected direct and not via a cabinet ('exchange only lines')?
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...only-lines.pdf

Robin March 14th 21 07:09 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

[...]

AIUI (which may be wrong) no.

--
Robin

Scott[_17_] March 14th 21 07:19 PM

Mains failure

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:11:25 -0700 (PDT), Owain Lastname
wrote:

On Sunday, 14 March 2021 at 18:38:30 UTC, Scott wrote:
The phone line will only run from the cabinet to the premises.

That makes sense. All the cabinets will be connected by fibre so an
exchange will still be needed.

It depends what you mean by an "exchange". Unlike telephone exchanges which have to go where all the wires join up, data centres can go anywhere on the network.

BT new splitters can deliver FTTP over 90 km from the head-end and a GPON head-end is a couple of U high on a rack for about 5k customers.

Thanks for that. To my unanswered question 2, would it be as simple
as replacing the existing exchange with a cabinet and linking that
cabinet to the data centre wherever it is located?

Rod Speed March 14th 21 09:11 PM

Mains failure

[...]

So she should have been able to use that. You clearly
didn’t spell that out properly or she forgot about that.

Rod Speed March 14th 21 09:34 PM

Mains failure

wrote:

[...]

He claims its not there now. Bit mad with someone so frail
to not have something that will work with no mains.

Frail elderly living alone should be encouraged to get a Care on Call
installation (monthly fee applies) so that they have a pendant to use in
the event of a fall or whatever.

Do those work with no mains, cant seem to quickly google it.

We could never get my dad to wear the pendant. He appeared
to think it proved how decrepit he had become.

Something you can talk to like the best google home minis
without any need for any internet would be better but it
isnt clear how easy it would be to ensure than they could
remember how to tell it that it should call for help.