Electronics (alt.electronics)

Posted to alt.electronics

Default Mains failure switch-over circuit needed

Hi,

I'm looking for a circuit that will switch over a circuit from trickle
charging a 6 volt battery to supplying a load. The load will not be in
circuit whilst mains is on but needs to be switched to in the event of
mains failure. It needs to be electronic not mechanical (I.E. not relay)

Thanks
Posted to alt.electronics

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:57:34 +0100, Warmbells
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a circuit that will switch over a circuit from trickle
charging a 6 volt battery to supplying a load. The load will not be in
circuit whilst mains is on but needs to be switched to in the event of
mains failure. It needs to be electronic not mechanical (I.E. not relay)

---
I'm confused.

From your description it sounds like you want a trickle charger to
be trickle charging a battery while the mains is on, but then to
start supplying a load when the mains goes off, which doesn't seem
to make much sense.

perhaps what you're looking for is something that connects the
battery to the trickle charger when the mains is on, but disconnects
it from the charger and connects it (the battery) to a load,
instead, when the mains goes off?

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Posted to alt.electronics

wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a circuit that will switch over a circuit from trickle
charging a 6 volt battery to supplying a load. The load will not be in
circuit whilst mains is on but needs to be switched to in the event of
mains failure. It needs to be electronic not mechanical (I.E. not relay)

---
I'm confused.

From your description it sounds like you want a trickle charger to
be trickle charging a battery while the mains is on, but then to
start supplying a load when the mains goes off, which doesn't seem
to make much sense.

perhaps what you're looking for is something that connects the
battery to the trickle charger when the mains is on, but disconnects
it from the charger and connects it (the battery) to a load,
instead, when the mains goes off?

Yep that's what I'm after, just couldn't put it in words properly.

Posted to alt.electronics

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 19:23:33 +1000, "Ron"
wrote:

Would that be a DC UPS - sort of.

regards
Ron

wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a circuit that will switch over a circuit from trickle
charging a 6 volt battery to supplying a load. The load will not be in
circuit whilst mains is on but needs to be switched to in the event of
mains failure. It needs to be electronic not mechanical (I.E. not relay)

---
I'm confused.

From your description it sounds like you want a trickle charger to
be trickle charging a battery while the mains is on, but then to
start supplying a load when the mains goes off, which doesn't seem
to make much sense.

perhaps what you're looking for is something that connects the
battery to the trickle charger when the mains is on, but disconnects
it from the charger and connects it (the battery) to a load,
instead, when the mains goes off?

Yep that's what I'm after, just couldn't put it in words properly.

---
OK. How much current does your load need from the battery and why
can't you use a mechanical relay?

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Posted to alt.electronics

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:24:42 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

---
OK. How much current does your load need from the battery and why
can't you use a mechanical relay?

---
And can the low side of the load be switched?