Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT Threatening letter from HMG

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 07/03/2021 09:07, Nick Odell wrote:
On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 00:59:06 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:
On 06/03/2021 20:27, alan_m wrote:
On 06/03/2021 17:32, Rod Speed wrote:

Its not even feasible to have and endless list of specific jobs for many.

How do insurance companies cope with that question?

My job title has been, for some years, "Senior Control and
Instrumentation Engineer" or "Senior Control, Electrical and
Instrumentation Engineer", with "Control" being the major part. For
insurance, I have always had to put "Instrument Engineer", "Electrical
Engineer" or "Engineering Consultant", as there is not mention of
"Control" Engineering .

My insurance broker persuaded me from the start to call myself an
Instrument Maker rather than a Musical Instrument Maker because the
first five letters of the full title lead insurance companies to
believe that you are a doped-up waster who crashes cars and smashes up
guitars in hotel rooms.

I believe it's difficult to get car insurance if you know any famous
guitarists in case they trap a finger in the door.

I don't know how they would find out, but I expect they would invalidate
the insurance if they did, regardless of the claim.

That's why working in the entertainment industry attracts a premium - eve
if you just work in the box office. You might give a lift to someone
expensive.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2021 11:05, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 10:26:57 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

No Not true the telephone number if a free one and available widely,
indeed I heard it on the radio just this morning.
If its not in the letter, then maybe that was because they printed them
before the number was finalised,

Just saw someone on Twitter complaining about the same thing. They even
posted an image of the letter - complete with the sentence giving the
phone number.

I pointed this out, and they blocked me.

good job you've retired as your action probably violated some policy as
regards people with dyslexia.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

No Not true the telephone number if a free one and available widely, indeed
I heard it on the radio just this morning.
If its not in the letter, then maybe that was because they printed them
before the number was finalised,

The letter was addressed to "The householder" as part of postie spam
day, and I appreciate you probably haven't read it since I assume they
don't have a special version "To the visually impaired householder" or
would know where to send them, but the freephone number is very
prominent on the letter for England.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

What if you are housebound? How do you post a form back to them?

What if you find writing difficult, but not tapping keys?

I'm sure there are others for those who don't seem to think an internet
reply is the easiest way for the vast majority.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

What if you are housebound? How do you post a form back to them?

What if you find writing difficult, but not tapping keys?

I'm sure there are others for those who don't seem to think an internet
reply is the easiest way for the vast majority.

Perhaps someone will pay them a visit, probably not armed with
implements of torture.

Why does it trouble you so much?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

alan_m wrote:

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has
internet access

What if you are housebound? How do you post a form back to them?

If it's like previous years, they'll send a collector door-to-door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
I've filled in the on-line form. Two days ago and I've already forgotten
what the questions were.

Pretty well the same as last time. As will be the answers - unless you've
had a sex change.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
wrote:
[...]

Wouldnt happen here, we have an insurance
ombudsman who would **** them over big time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 04:42:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Its not even feasible to have an endless list of specific jobs for many.

How do insurance companies cope with that question?

Dunno, never bought that sort of insurance.

the sort that ask for your job description

Car insurance routinely does that

some jobs hike up your insurance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
charles wrote:
I've filled in the on-line form. Two days ago and I've already forgotten
what the questions were.

Pretty well the same as last time. As will be the answers - unless you've
had a sex change.

can't be sure about last time,

but certainly in the past the form has had considerably more questions about
the features of your house than this time

all it asks this year is "how many bedrooms do you have" and "do you have
(what type of) central heating"

And haven't previous census asked about ownership of cars and how you
"commute" to work. Questions which are absent this time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
That's why working in the entertainment industry attracts a premium - eve
if you just work in the box office. You might give a lift to someone
expensive.

I've worked in the industry all my life, and never had a 'loading' because
of it.

However, if you are required to carry passengers because of your work (and
goods or equipment too) best to make that clear.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
That's why working in the entertainment industry attracts a premium -
eve if you just work in the box office. You might give a lift to
someone expensive.

I've worked in the industry all my life, and never had a 'loading'
because of it.

I can't remember the company, but we used to get a BBC staff discount on
car insurance. Then one year, the compamy advised us that the discount we
got would be more than negated by the extra premium for the entertainment
industry. We were advised to move companies.

However, if you are required to carry passengers because of your work
(and goods or equipment too) best to make that clear.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
I've filled in the on-line form. Two days ago and I've already forgotten
what the questions were.

Pretty well the same as last time. As will be the answers - unless you've
had a sex change.

can't be sure about last time,

but certainly in the past the form has had considerably more questions about
the features of your house than this time

all it asks this year is "how many bedrooms do you have" and "do you have
(what type of) central heating"

And haven't previous census asked about ownership of cars and how you
"commute" to work. Questions which are absent this time

Just out of interest, does it (like for instance the HMRC Self
Assessment form) give you a chance to save a .pdf of your own answers
at the end? Or, if I wanted to keep a copy, would I have to screenshot
every page as I go?

Thanks,

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
I can't remember the company, but we used to get a BBC staff discount on
car insurance. Then one year, the compamy advised us that the discount we
got would be more than negated by the extra premium for the entertainment
industry. We were advised to move companies.

If I remember correctly, that was a broker. I never used them - preferred
to deal with a company direct.

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Max
Demian writes
On 06/03/2021 20:25, alan_m wrote:
On 06/03/2021 16:05, Another John wrote:
In article ,
* Jeff Layman wrote:
Out of interest, has anyone yet seen the census form or what questions
will be asked?

Haven't seen it yet but I believe you have to know what sex you are
today.

There seems to be more questions and multi tick box answers on
sexual orientation than for any other section however most of these
are optional so what's the point in asking them in the first place?

I hope there's "None of the above". Probably just "Don't know" or
"Prefer not to answer", which don't mean the same thing.

There's been a High Court Ruling on this question but they're not change
it now because so many people have already completed their submission.
For example reference to passport was removed because their is no
restriction on what you put on it and so for the purpose of meaningful
statistical analysis it become misleading.
--
bert

TOT JW letter alan_m UK diy 43 January 28th 21 05:09 PM
Looking for laaarge letter box or letter slot James Harris[_2_] UK diy 5 November 5th 08 03:26 PM
Rhonda Bunny-Boiler explains why she's now threatening to out personal email to the police. Kadaitcha Man Home Repair 1 April 22nd 07 05:27 AM
Rhonda Bunny-Boiler explains why she's now threatening to out personal email to the police. Kadaitcha Man Home Repair 0 April 22nd 07 02:33 AM