DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TOT Threatening letter from HMG (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/685345-tot-threatening-letter-hmg.html)

alan_m March 6th 21 01:37 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

Robin March 6th 21 01:54 PM

On 06/03/2021 13:37, alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

You omitted "or call 0800....". How many do you know with no internet
*and* no phone?

It is true there are some people with access to neither the internet nor
a telephone. If they had the letter and do nothing they can expect a
knock on their door (or tent flap or whatever). The question of a fine
only arises if people still don't fill it in.

--
Robin

Davey March 6th 21 01:56 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 13:37:37 +0000
alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census
form with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

....or call 0800 141 2021

It's on the page twice.

--
Davey.

Bev March 6th 21 02:01 PM

On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 13:37:37 +0000, alan_m wrote:

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

or call the number that is given on the letter and also on the leaflet.

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 6th 21 03:40 PM

On 06/03/2021 13:54, Robin wrote:
On 06/03/2021 13:37, alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

You omitted "or call 0800....". How many do you know with no internet
*and* no phone?

I would guess that 99.999% of internet connections are made through a
phone line, whether POTS, fibre, or mobile. So it is likely that
someone with no phone connection will have no internet connection. There
might be one or two who use a satellite link, but I doubt there will be
a significant number. In other circumstances, I suppose a person without
internet connection might have been able to use a library or even
internet cafe, but the pandemic has put paid to those.

It is true there are some people with access to neither the internet nor
a telephone. If they had the letter and do nothing they can expect a
knock on their door (or tent flap or whatever). The question of a fine
only arises if people still don't fill it in.

Indeed. I have telephoned and requested a form to fill out. It was all
automatic, using the ref number on the "threatening" letter.

Out of interest, has anyone yet seen the census form or what questions
will be asked?

--

Jeff

Andy Burns[_13_] March 6th 21 03:46 PM

Jeff Layman wrote:

There might be one or two who use a satellite link, but I doubt there
will be a significant number.

I got my invite from Starlink the other week, think I'll pass for now...

Another John March 6th 21 04:05 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Out of interest, has anyone yet seen the census form or what questions
will be asked?

Haven't seen it yet but I believe you have to know what sex you are
today.

They should have another question:
"Are you Woke?" -- for which one of the answer tick boxes should be "Am
I what?"

and another "Just **** off and grow up a bit, will you?"

John (not "woke", and by no means asleep)

Michael Chare March 6th 21 04:27 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

On 06/03/2021 13:37, alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

Thank you for the reminder, I have now entered my details after
requesting a text message with the 12 character code.

--
Michael Chare

tim...[_2_] March 6th 21 04:29 PM

"Robin" wrote in message
On 06/03/2021 13:37, alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

You omitted "or call 0800....". How many do you know with no internet
*and* no phone?

It is true there are some people with access to neither the internet nor a
telephone. If they had the letter and do nothing they can expect a knock
on their door (or tent flap or whatever). The question of a fine only
arises if people still don't fill it in.

but the letter doesn't tell people without internet access that they can get
a paper form

you have to go to the website to find that out

--
Robin

GB March 6th 21 04:31 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

On 06/03/2021 13:37, alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

It's well worth filling in the census form accurately. Provision of
local services is based on it.

To the extent local services are provided, of course.

tim...[_2_] March 6th 21 04:33 PM

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
[...]

yup, filled mine in earlier this week

compared to previous years it's a noddy questionnaire

The only contentious question was "please give a description of your job (or
previous one if currently not working)" (120 words) which I thought was well
OTT, and not particularly easy to usefully collate as a set of answers

charles March 6th 21 04:39 PM

Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

I've filled in the on-line form. Two days ago and I've already forgotten
what the questions were.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Nick Odell[_2_] March 6th 21 04:56 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 16:29:32 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

My letter does. Perhaps Sir Ian is sending different letters to
different folks.

Nick

Peter Johnson[_4_] March 6th 21 05:02 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 15:40:58 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Out of interest, has anyone yet seen the census form or what questions
will be asked?

Did mine yesterday (it can be altered if the situation changes before
the due date). Questions about the household, property, education,
religion, employment, car ownership come to mind.

Nick Odell[_2_] March 6th 21 05:06 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 16:31:09 +0000, GB
wrote:

On 06/03/2021 13:37, alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

It's well worth filling in the census form accurately. Provision of
local services is based on it.

To the extent local services are provided, of course.

It's a shame that the 2021 Census is electronic: I presume that the
few who complete the paper form will have it converted into an
electronic state and the papers will then be shredded. In 2011 I left
a message in the additional comments boxes for my
great-great-grandchildren who might be searching their ancestry in or
after 2111. This year I'd hoped to write something like "Marty! I'm
stranded in 2021! Bring the DeLorean and come and get me!"

Nick

Rod Speed March 6th 21 05:32 PM

"tim..." wrote in message

[...]

But there is no really viable alternative with that one.

Its not even feasible to have and endless list of specific jobs for many.

Rod Speed March 6th 21 05:33 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

That's just the alzhiemers, nothing to worry about.

Peeler[_4_] March 6th 21 05:52 PM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 04:32:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But there is no really viable alternative with that one.

But NOBODY talked to you or asked you anything, senile pest from Oz!

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Peeler[_4_] March 6th 21 05:54 PM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 04:33:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

cretin's pathological trolling:

Robin March 6th 21 05:54 PM

On 06/03/2021 15:40, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/03/2021 13:54, Robin wrote:
On 06/03/2021 13:37, alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

You omitted "or call 0800....". How many do you know with no internet
*and* no phone?

I would guess that 99.999% of internet connections are made through a
phone line, whether POTS, fibre, orÂ* mobile. So it is likely that
someone with no phone connection will have no internet connection. There
might be one or two who use a satellite link, but I doubt there will be
a significant number.

The OP's point was not everyone had internet acess to ask for a paper
form. Mine was that a lot of people without internet access do have
access to a phone and so can use that to ask for a paper form. In
other words, I agree very few have internet but no phone but there is a
significant minority who have no internet - about 4% of UK households
last year - but very probably a phone.

--
Robin

Robin March 6th 21 05:58 PM

On 06/03/2021 16:29, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 06/03/2021 13:37, alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census
form with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

You omitted "or call 0800....". How many do you know with no internet
*and* no phone?

It is true there are some people with access to neither the internet
nor a telephone.Â* If they had the letter and do nothing they can
expect a knock on their door (or tent flap or whatever).Â* The question
of a fine only arises if people still don't fill it in.

but the letter doesn't tell people without internet access that they can
get a paper form

you have to go to the website to find that out

does yours not say you can get one by phoning the 0800 number it gives?

--
Robin

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 6th 21 06:01 PM

On 06/03/2021 16:31, GB wrote:
On 06/03/2021 13:37, alan_m wrote:

Through the post today I received a request to fill out the census form
with the threat if I didn't I would get a fine of up to £1,000

It looks as if Professor Sir Ian Diamond thinks everyone has internet
access,

Go to www.census.gov.uk and select "start census"

If you want a paper form go to the same URL!

It's well worth filling in the census form accurately. Provision of
local services is based on it.

You forgot the winking smiley...

To the extent local services are provided, of course.

Well, it might have been true 150 years ago when most people were born,
lived, married, had their children, and died without moving from the
place they were born. Today it's completely different and most people
move around many times throughout their lives, often hundreds of miles,
or abroad, and back again. A census every ten years is a pointlessly
expensive exercise in obtaining and analysing out-of-date information.
If its local services that information is intended to provide it could
be obtained more accurately and quickly through county and district
councils, and many other sources of information, such as GP surgery
registration info (anonymised, of course). There is. of course, a vast
amount of information already online for the majority of the population,
which is far more up-to-date than any census will ever be.

So, despite previous UK governments saying they were going to stop the
census (was it before the previous one or the one before that?), here we
are again. It can only be for yet another form of official snooping -
and isn't the UK already known around the world as one of the most
snooping democracies around?

Countries do not need to perform a census on their whole population
every ten years. The Netherlands have not had a census for 50 years; the
Scandinavian countries base their data on registers and sampling. Other
countries also base their data requirements on, for example, a 10%
sample every year or two.

--

Jeff

Another John March 6th 21 06:39 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

In article , GB
wrote:

It's well worth filling in the census form accurately. Provision of
local services is based on it.

To the extent local services are provided, of course.

No no no - you haven't been listening to The News on't wireless: the
emaciated local services that we have become used to over the last
decade or so (less and less, year by year) will look like a County
Council Cornucopia compared to what we'll get in the future, after they
start paying for Covid!

It'll all be self-help. And warring tribal factions, as the Police get
cut to half of the half-size force they've been made in the last decade
or so (see above).

Cheerful Charlie

Lawrence[_7_] March 6th 21 07:45 PM

wrote:
Out of interest, has anyone yet seen the census form or what

questions

When asked about sexual orientation, horizontal was not allowed.

alan_m March 6th 21 08:25 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

On 06/03/2021 16:05, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Out of interest, has anyone yet seen the census form or what questions
will be asked?

Haven't seen it yet but I believe you have to know what sex you are
today.

There seems to be more questions and multi tick box answers on sexual
orientation than for any other section however most of these are
optional so what's the point in asking them in the first place?

alan_m March 6th 21 08:27 PM

On 06/03/2021 17:32, Rod Speed wrote:

Its not even feasible to have and endless list of specific jobs for many.

How do insurance companies cope with that question?

alan_m March 6th 21 08:33 PM

On 06/03/2021 16:31, GB wrote:

It's well worth filling in the census form accurately. Provision of
local services is based on it.

I doubt that anything in this census actually makes any difference to
the provision.

Another John March 6th 21 08:39 PM

alan_m wrote:

On 06/03/2021 16:05, Another John wrote:

Haven't seen it yet but I believe you have to know what sex you are
today.

There seems to be more questions and multi tick box answers on sexual
orientation than for any other section however most of these are
optional so what's the point in asking them in the first place?

So that they can actually _count_ the vociferous minorities who make
such a fuss about LGBTQ+ ("Waaagghhh!!! I don't know _what_ I want! But
you should give me it!)

Aside: Twitter users apparently number less than 10% of the population.
However, they get rather more than 10% of the media's coverage of what
is classified as "news".

grumble, grumble, grumble

John

Andy Burns[_13_] March 6th 21 08:44 PM

alan_m wrote:

I doubt that anything in this census actually makes any difference to
the provision.

I though the previous census was going to be the last one, with big
brother slurping data from everywhere instead?

Rod Speed March 6th 21 08:58 PM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

alan_m wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Its not even feasible to have an endless
list of specific jobs for many.

How do insurance companies cope with that question?

Dunno, never bought that sort of insurance.

Peeler[_4_] March 6th 21 09:43 PM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 07:58:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Dunno

You dunno??? Are you sick or what? You ALWAYS "know" EVERYTHING, you
ridiculous senile "expert" in everything! LMAO

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Bob Eager[_7_] March 6th 21 10:16 PM

On Sat, 06 Mar 2021 16:29:32 +0000, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
[...]

The last paragraph of the letter says:

"See the enclosed leaflet for how to get help to complete your census.
You can request a paper form at www.census.gov.uk or call 0800 141 2021."

Max Demian March 6th 21 10:38 PM

Â* Jeff Layman wrote:
Out of interest, has anyone yet seen the census form or what questions
will be asked?

Haven't seen it yet but I believe you have to know what sex you are
today.

There seems to be more questions and multi tick box answers on sexual
orientation than for any other section however most of these are
optional so what's the point in asking them in the first place?

I hope there's "None of the above". Probably just "Don't know" or
"Prefer not to answer", which don't mean the same thing.

--
Max Demian

Steve Walker[_5_] March 7th 21 12:59 AM

On 06/03/2021 20:27, alan_m wrote:
On 06/03/2021 17:32, Rod Speed wrote:

Its not even feasible to have and endless list of specific jobs for many.

How do insurance companies cope with that question?

My job title has been, for some years, "Senior Control and
Instrumentation Engineer" or "Senior Control, Electrical and
Instrumentation Engineer", with "Control" being the major part. For
insurance, I have always had to put "Instrument Engineer", "Electrical
Engineer" or "Engineering Consultant", as there is not mention of
"Control" Engineering .

Steve Walker[_5_] March 7th 21 01:00 AM

On 06/03/2021 17:54, Robin wrote:
[...]

form.Â* Mine was that a lot of people without internet access do have
access to a phone and so can use that to ask for a paper form.Â*Â* In
other words, I agree very few have internet but no phone but there is a
significant minority who have no internet - about 4% of UK households
last year - but very probably a phone.

And there are still some phone-boxes.

Nick Odell[_2_] March 7th 21 09:07 AM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 00:59:06 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 06/03/2021 20:27, alan_m wrote:
On 06/03/2021 17:32, Rod Speed wrote:

Its not even feasible to have and endless list of specific jobs for many.

How do insurance companies cope with that question?

My job title has been, for some years, "Senior Control and
Instrumentation Engineer" or "Senior Control, Electrical and
Instrumentation Engineer", with "Control" being the major part. For
insurance, I have always had to put "Instrument Engineer", "Electrical
Engineer" or "Engineering Consultant", as there is not mention of
"Control" Engineering .

My insurance broker persuaded me from the start to call myself an
Instrument Maker rather than a Musical Instrument Maker because the
first five letters of the full title lead insurance companies to
believe that you are a doped-up waster who crashes cars and smashes up
guitars in hotel rooms.

Nick

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) March 7th 21 10:26 AM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

No Not true the telephone number if a free one and available widely, indeed
I heard it on the radio just this morning.
If its not in the letter, then maybe that was because they printed them
before the number was finalised, Scotland has deferred theirs till next
year, and Wales has a different number.

Can it really be that hard to ask a friend to get the number?

I can say this, you will not be fined unless you constructively. they will
be calling on addresses that do not respond later in the year, as the idea
is that March 21 is census day, but not the day it absolutely has to be
done. Some people may be in hospital for a start!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) March 7th 21 10:31 AM

TOT Threatening letter from HMG

Yes I know lot of blind people with no internet access, who are of the
older agegroup and that situation has been covered widely in texts I have
heard and read, you have to have been hiding under a rock if you do not know
they can fill them out over the telephone if you cannot do either print or
online.
Indeed I think I'll scream if I heare that terrible dodgy woman pretending
to be a member of jo public on the radio one more time!
Interestingly no letter here yet.
The only issue will be the unique code on your letter. However I'm sure
post codes etc can sort that out.

Max Demian March 7th 21 10:54 AM

wrote:
On 06/03/2021 20:27, alan_m wrote:
On 06/03/2021 17:32, Rod Speed wrote:

Its not even feasible to have and endless list of specific jobs for many.

How do insurance companies cope with that question?

My job title has been, for some years, "Senior Control and
Instrumentation Engineer" or "Senior Control, Electrical and
Instrumentation Engineer", with "Control" being the major part. For
insurance, I have always had to put "Instrument Engineer", "Electrical
Engineer" or "Engineering Consultant", as there is not mention of
"Control" Engineering .

My insurance broker persuaded me from the start to call myself an
Instrument Maker rather than a Musical Instrument Maker because the
first five letters of the full title lead insurance companies to
believe that you are a doped-up waster who crashes cars and smashes up
guitars in hotel rooms.

I believe it's difficult to get car insurance if you know any famous
guitarists in case they trap a finger in the door.

I don't know how they would find out, but I expect they would invalidate
the insurance if they did, regardless of the claim.

--
Max Demian

Bob Eager[_7_] March 7th 21 11:05 AM

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 10:26:57 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

No Not true the telephone number if a free one and available widely,
indeed I heard it on the radio just this morning.
If its not in the letter, then maybe that was because they printed them
before the number was finalised,

Just saw someone on Twitter complaining about the same thing. They even
posted an image of the letter - complete with the sentence giving the
phone number.

I pointed this out, and they blocked me.