Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor, pet friendly PIR

I currently have a security light on my garage (at the bottom of the
garden) and used both for security and simply to see my way to the
garage in the dark, but I need to add one to the shed next to it, as it
is set back and in darkness alongside, making it difficult to get there
without tripping over in the garden or stepping in puddles (very heavy
clay soil).

Rather than two independent lights, I'd like to put a single PIR with
270° coverage on the corner of the garage and operate both together.

The existing light is a nuisance, as it is frequently triggered by cats.

I have looked for pet friendly, outdoor PIRs, but only seem to find
wireless ones that link into security systems. Has anyone seen a wired
version? Do I need to add protection to an indoor one instead?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 12:23, Steve Walker wrote:
I currently have a security light on my garage (at the bottom of the
garden) and used both for security and simply to see my way to the
garage in the dark, but I need to add one to the shed next to it, as it
is set back and in darkness alongside, making it difficult to get there
without tripping over in the garden or stepping in puddles (very heavy
clay soil).

Rather than two independent lights, I'd like to put a single PIR with
270° coverage on the corner of the garage and operate both together.

The existing light is a nuisance, as it is frequently triggered by cats.

I have looked for pet friendly, outdoor PIRs, but only seem to find
wireless ones that link into security systems. Has anyone seen a wired
version? Do I need to add protection to an indoor one instead?

An active IR would be better. Consider Optex AX-70TN 20m Outdoor Beams.
I've used a lot of these and they are streets in front of passives. You
can using positioning and delay adjustment to eliminate false alarms.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
I currently have a security light on my garage (at the bottom of the
garden) and used both for security and simply to see my way to the garage
in the dark, but I need to add one to the shed next to it, as it is set
back and in darkness alongside, making it difficult to get there without
tripping over in the garden or stepping in puddles (very heavy clay soil).

Rather than two independent lights, I'd like to put a single PIR with 270°
coverage on the corner of the garage and operate both together.

The existing light is a nuisance, as it is frequently triggered by cats.

I have looked for pet friendly, outdoor PIRs, but only seem to find
wireless ones that link into security systems. Has anyone seen a wired
version? Do I need to add protection to an indoor one instead?

The Philips Hue system has an external PIR which can control any
lights you like, multiples etc. Not as cheap as some but the amazon
specials can be very substantial savings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 16:07, williamwright wrote:
[...]

I have thought about beams, but I'd need a number, to cover coming out
of the shed, out of the garage, out of the house back door or out of the
extension back door. All four have path edges, grids, the trailer or
even just a random garden chair that you want light to see as soon as
you step out out. At the moment, the PIR garage security light works for
three of them, but triggers far too often.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 12:23, Steve Walker wrote:
I currently have a security light on my garage (at the bottom of the
garden) and used both for security and simply to see my way to the
garage in the dark, but I need to add one to the shed next to it, as it
is set back and in darkness alongside, making it difficult to get there
without tripping over in the garden or stepping in puddles (very heavy
clay soil).

Rather than two independent lights, I'd like to put a single PIR with
270° coverage on the corner of the garage and operate both together.

The existing light is a nuisance, as it is frequently triggered by cats.

I have looked for pet friendly, outdoor PIRs, but only seem to find
wireless ones that link into security systems. Has anyone seen a wired
version? Do I need to add protection to an indoor one instead?

Is this the sort of thing you're after?
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4764053-270-long-range-pir-detector-white
They do the same thing in black. It's 270° coverage.

You might find it easier, and perhaps cheaper, to get a 360° coverage
device such as this:
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/460852-360-external-pir-detector-white

Although the CEF page says the first is IP55 rated, the Challenger
leaflet downloadable from the 270° detector webpage says it's IP54. The
360° device is IP44.

To stop cats triggering it you might have to use opaque tape to cover
the lower part of the detector, but it's not guaranteed.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 18:15, Jeff Layman wrote:

To stop cats triggering it you might have to use opaque tape to cover
the lower part of the detector, but it's not guaranteed.

If you take some technology from the US stealth fighter bomber, and
apply it to the cat ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you need a cat wrapped in a thermally insulating blanket, but te
foxes don't like this very much, I'm told.

Why not do what I do, learn to use a cane to scan the area just where you
are going to walk and hence avoid the puddles? Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 19/02/2021 18:15, Jeff Layman wrote:

To stop cats triggering it you might have to use opaque tape to cover the
lower part of the detector, but it's not guaranteed.

If you take some technology from the US stealth fighter bomber, and apply
it to the cat ...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I don't see how you can have a pir that works that does not detect pets.

The better ones are multi mode which allows
rough detection of the size of the moving object.

It is after all just detecting changes in the heat radiation as something
moves across domains on the sensore one assumes.

Its more complicated than that with the best of them and there
is also where the moving object is in the field of view too.

Tho obviously that doesn’t work with a pet elephant or cow etc.

This would need some smarts to ignore certain profiles.

Not smarts so much as selective about what it observes field of view wise.

And smarts are obviously possible. The best surveillance systems allow
you to mark the parts of the image it should check for movement in
and the best systems even use facial recognition etc too and can work
out the difference between a human and a car etc. Tad radical I realise.

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
I currently have a security light on my garage (at the bottom of the
garden) and used both for security and simply to see my way to the garage
in the dark, but I need to add one to the shed next to it, as it is set
back and in darkness alongside, making it difficult to get there without
tripping over in the garden or stepping in puddles (very heavy clay soil).

Rather than two independent lights, I'd like to put a single PIR with
270° coverage on the corner of the garage and operate both together.

The existing light is a nuisance, as it is frequently triggered by cats.

I have looked for pet friendly, outdoor PIRs, but only seem to find
wireless ones that link into security systems. Has anyone seen a wired
version? Do I need to add protection to an indoor one instead?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 04:52:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The Philips Hue system has an external PIR which can control any
lights you like, multiples etc. Not as cheap as some but the amazon
specials can be very substantial savings.

I believe I told you already: shove your Philips Hue up your senile arse,
you mentally sick trolling senile asshole!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I think you need a cat wrapped in a thermally insulating blanket, but te
foxes don't like this very much, I'm told.

A likely story.

Why not do what I do, learn to use a cane to scan the area just where you
are going to walk and hence avoid the puddles?

Because its much more convenient to have the light come on.

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 19/02/2021 18:15, Jeff Layman wrote:

To stop cats triggering it you might have to use opaque tape to cover
the lower part of the detector, but it's not guaranteed.

If you take some technology from the US stealth fighter bomber, and apply
it to the cat ...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 07:58:34 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 20:38, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I don't see how you can have a pir that works that does not detect pets. It
is after all just detecting changes in the heat radiation as something moves
across domains on the sensore one assumes. This would need some smarts to
ignore certain profiles.

Pet friendly PIRs have been available for many years. We have an indoor
one, in the living-room, that I fitted about 20 years ago. We keep the
doors shut so that our cats cannot get to the rest of the house when the
alarm is on.

The manufacturer's specs list what size of pet they will ignore. Cats
are well within the ignore range, unless they get up high, while dogs
are okay, up to a certain size.

The basic versions work by having a cut-off low down, but others combine
that with a second sensor (possibly with a mid-level layer cut-off and
only trigger if both are activated (an upright person being in both
zones at once). Others (like the one we have) combine PIR and microwave
sensors - we can see the LED change from green to yellow as one is
triggered and then red if the second is triggered).

In this case, as it is for a light rather than an alarm, false
triggering is not a major problem - we just want to cut down on the
number of times a night the curtains/blinds suddenly brighten.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 20:42, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I think you need a cat wrapped in a thermally insulating blanket, but te
foxes don't like this very much, I'm told.

Why not do what I do, learn to use a cane to scan the area just where you
are going to walk and hence avoid the puddles? Brian

How well does that work across a soggy lawn with puddles, can you tell
the difference easily?

Not too helpful when I need both hands to carry something to or from the
garage or shed though.

Pet friendly PIR's diy-newby UK diy 3 April 10th 08 02:58 PM
Pet Friendly Rat Poison Kev UK diy 8 April 13th 07 10:29 AM
Pet-Friendly Flooring? [email protected] Home Repair 11 July 13th 06 10:11 PM
Pet-Friendly Flooring? [email protected] Home Ownership 3 July 10th 06 12:11 AM
Pet Friendly Woodworm Treatment Bob Smith \(UK\) UK diy 5 October 26th 04 09:38 PM