Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can one use this type of towel rail on electricity only?

Lots of places offer this style of towel rail, here's one from
Toolstation:-

https://www.toolstation.com/kudox-ch...adiator/p80321

Can one use them with electric heating only? We want to install one
in a room where there are no pipes from the CH nearby.

Is it just a case of plugging three holes, filling with water and
putting an electric heater element in the fourth hole?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2021 17:17, Chris Green wrote:
Lots of places offer this style of towel rail, here's one from
Toolstation:-

https://www.toolstation.com/kudox-ch...adiator/p80321

Can one use them with electric heating only? We want to install one
in a room where there are no pipes from the CH nearby.

Is it just a case of plugging three holes, filling with water and
putting an electric heater element in the fourth hole?

I would say not. There is no provision for expansion. They make a sealed
version...

https://www.kudox.com/electric-towel-rails/

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2021 18:44, David Wade wrote:
On 16/02/2021 17:17, Chris Green wrote:
Lots of places offer this style of towel rail, here's one from
Toolstation:-

https://www.toolstation.com/kudox-ch...adiator/p80321

Can one use them with electric heating only?Â* We want to install one
in a room where there are no pipes from the CH nearby.

Is it just a case of plugging three holes, filling with water and
putting an electric heater element in the fourth hole?

I would say not. There is no provision for expansion. They make a sealed
version...

https://www.kudox.com/electric-towel-rails/

Dave

I've installed a similar towel rail using a thermostatic heating element
instead of CH water.
Just followed the instructions which came with the heating element,
think it was to heat it up with the air vent open then close.
Only run it at a low setting on the thermostat control with no problems
for a couple of years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2021 18:44, David Wade wrote:
On 16/02/2021 17:17, Chris Green wrote:
Lots of places offer this style of towel rail, here's one from
Toolstation:-

https://www.toolstation.com/kudox-ch...adiator/p80321

Can one use them with electric heating only?Â* We want to install one
in a room where there are no pipes from the CH nearby.

Is it just a case of plugging three holes, filling with water and
putting an electric heater element in the fourth hole?

I would say not. There is no provision for expansion.

Leaving an airspace when filling would deal with that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote in
:

On 16/02/2021 18:44, David Wade wrote:
On 16/02/2021 17:17, Chris Green wrote:

Can one use them with electric heating only?Â* We want to install
one in a room where there are no pipes from the CH nearby.

Is it just a case of plugging three holes, filling with water and
putting an electric heater element in the fourth hole?

Yes.

I would say not. There is no provision for expansion.

Leaving an airspace when filling would deal with that.

I have done this and it exactly what the instructions tell you to do. They
also tell you to add a little corrosion inhibitor and fortunately I had a
little spare.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:17:27 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Lots of places offer this style of towel rail, here's one from
Toolstation:-

https://www.toolstation.com/kudox-ch...adiator/p80321

Can one use them with electric heating only? We want to install one
in a room where there are no pipes from the CH nearby.

Is it just a case of plugging three holes, filling with water and
putting an electric heater element in the fourth hole?

I can't see from the description but are there towel rails that use
both CH and electric then?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:17:27 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Lots of places offer this style of towel rail, here's one from
Toolstation:-

https://www.toolstation.com/kudox-ch...adiator/p80321

Can one use them with electric heating only? We want to install one
in a room where there are no pipes from the CH nearby.

Is it just a case of plugging three holes, filling with water and
putting an electric heater element in the fourth hole?

I can't see from the description but are there towel rails that use
both CH and electric then?

Yes, we have one (OP here), they're pretty standard I think.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 12:44, AnthonyL wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:17:27 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Lots of places offer this style of towel rail, here's one from
Toolstation:-

https://www.toolstation.com/kudox-ch...adiator/p80321

Can one use them with electric heating only? We want to install one
in a room where there are no pipes from the CH nearby.

Is it just a case of plugging three holes, filling with water and
putting an electric heater element in the fourth hole?

I can't see from the description but are there towel rails that use
both CH and electric then?

Yes, I used to have one. So normally run off the central heating, but
with an element for towel drying in the summer...

Dave