Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default American Web Sites

Quite a number of american web sites don't like my .uk email address and
nag me to change it, but I like the status quo, it acts as a good fiter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In what sense don't they like it?
I've never had any trouble creating accounts, more of an issue is the zip
code if you need to put in a partial address as many do not understand post
codes.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"jon" wrote in message ...

Quite a number of american web sites don't like my .uk email address and
nag me to change it, but I like the status quo, it acts as a good fiter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 09:08:44 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

In what sense don't they like it?
I've never had any trouble creating accounts, more of an issue is the
zip
code if you need to put in a partial address as many do not understand
post codes.

Some US organisations don't seem to recognise the email address, no
trouble here....just wondered what the problem might be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
In what sense don't they like it? I've never had any trouble creating
accounts, more of an issue is the zip code if you need to put in a
partial address as many do not understand post codes. Brian

I've had that too. Simply - not an accepted email address

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2021 at 10:04:44 GMT, "charles" wrote:

In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
In what sense don't they like it? I've never had any trouble creating
accounts, more of an issue is the zip code if you need to put in a
partial address as many do not understand post codes. Brian

I've had that too. Simply - not an accepted email address

Maybe the experts can tell us if it was an actual rule change that led to
domain names of the general form of name.uk as opposed to name.co.uk becoming
available? It sounds as though they gilded the lily a bit on email
credibility checking and are excluding forms that are now permitted. Or were
they always wrong about what was allowed? I seem to remember name.tv being
permitted for a long time. If they had rules about every .xx top level domain
individually they would need to be revising them rather often.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In what sense don't they like it? I've never had any trouble creating
accounts, more of an issue is the zip code if you need to put in a
partial address as many do not understand post codes. Brian

I've had that too. Simply - not an accepted email address

Maybe the experts can tell us if it was an actual rule change that led to
domain names of the general form of name.uk as opposed to name.co.uk becoming
available? It sounds as though they gilded the lily a bit on email
credibility checking and are excluding forms that are now permitted. Or were
they always wrong about what was allowed? I seem to remember name.tv being
permitted for a long time. If they had rules about every .xx top level domain
individually they would need to be revising them rather often.

I am certainly no expert, but I think that originally there were,
..com(mercial), .org(anisation), .edu(cation), .mil(itary) and a few
lesser known ones, .int(ernational), etc. Then as the internet grew,
there was a requirement for more (especially where company names were
duplicated), so .co.xx, .gov, etc. were added. .net for networking
related domains.

Later as many more small companies and individuals wanted their own
domains, more categories were added to give more options, so others were
added - I use a .me.uk domain for personal use and did have a parallel
..co.uk one for company use for a few years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:53:26 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 13 Feb 2021 at 10:04:44 GMT, "charles"
wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
In what sense don't they like it? I've never had any trouble creating
accounts, more of an issue is the zip code if you need to put in a
partial address as many do not understand post codes. Brian

I've had that too. Simply - not an accepted email address

Maybe the experts can tell us if it was an actual rule change that led
to domain names of the general form of name.uk as opposed to name.co.uk
becoming available? It sounds as though they gilded the lily a bit on
email credibility checking and are excluding forms that are now
permitted. Or were they always wrong about what was allowed? I seem to
remember name.tv being permitted for a long time. If they had rules
about every .xx top level domain individually they would need to be
revising them rather often.

Each country code has rules set by the country it's assigned to. So the
rules for .tv are set by Tuvalu. Which does mean that there are at least
200 or so sets of rules (there are some ccTLDs like .eu and .scot that
aren't assigned to countries by the usual definition). Some countries
just have the end domains straight under the country code, some have
another level in between. And the second levels have rules too - the rule
for .co.uk is pretty much "pay for it", while .ac.uk has very strict
rules about about what kind of organisation qualifies.

The UK now has a mixed system. Originally there had to be a second level
- .co.uk, .org.uk, ac.uk and .gov.uk being the main ones - though some
second levels were assigned to a single organisation such as bl.uk
(British Library) and parliament.uk. The second level domains have
changed a few times - .me.uk was added not so long back as there wasn't
really anywhere for personal domains (most people were using .org.uk
or .co.uk). Recently the rules were changed to allow registering domains
directly under .uk - though the second level ones haven't gone anywhere.

There's really no way to validate if a domain name is valid (other than
by looking it up to see if it exists), beyond that it contains at least
two elements and that the last one has at least two letters. Recently
there's been a whole pile of top level domains created - some of which
it's far from clear what they're supposed to be for. So while you can
reject something like "abc@qwerty" or ", there's no way to
tell if " is valid or not - even if ".nonsense"
doesn't exist or has a rule that there must be a second level, that could
change tomorrow.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Humphrey
writes
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:53:26 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 13 Feb 2021 at 10:04:44 GMT, "charles"
wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
[...]

For reasons best known to Namesco, I have .uk.com The benefit seems
to be they can charge more!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Humphrey wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:53:26 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 13 Feb 2021 at 10:04:44 GMT, "charles"
wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
[...]

There is also the domain .scot for Scottish connected sites.

There's really no way to validate if a domain name is valid (other than
by looking it up to see if it exists), beyond that it contains at least
two elements and that the last one has at least two letters. Recently
there's been a whole pile of top level domains created - some of which
it's far from clear what they're supposed to be for. So while you can
reject something like "abc@qwerty" or ", there's no way to
tell if " is valid or not - even if ".nonsense"
doesn't exist or has a rule that there must be a second level, that could
change tomorrow.

Mike

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 09:08, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
In what sense don't they like it?
I've never had any trouble creating accounts, more of an issue is the zip
code if you need to put in a partial address as many do not understand post
codes.
Brian

I can't register my new Dell computer as I don't have a state or a zip
code.

I found if put in C/O the Dell USA address it seems happy with the
e-mail address.

Brian

--
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Feb 2021 at 18:34:32 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Mike Humphrey
writes
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:53:26 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 13 Feb 2021 at 10:04:44 GMT, "charles"
wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
[...]

That of course is because a commercial organisation managed to register uk.com
with the .com authorities and now rents out subdomains. So .uk.com is not
actually a uk domain at all, but looks like one.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 10:45:59 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

On 13 Feb 2021 at 18:34:32 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Mike Humphrey
writes
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:53:26 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 13 Feb 2021 at 10:04:44 GMT, "charles"
wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
[...]

The original comment was pertaining to my email address which ends in .uk
not being liked by some yank organisations. I wondered of it was too
secure for them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Feb 2021 at 12:53:07 GMT, "jon" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 10:45:59 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

On 13 Feb 2021 at 18:34:32 GMT, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Mike Humphrey
writes
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:53:26 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 13 Feb 2021 at 10:04:44 GMT, "charles"
wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
[...]

As I said above, it is almost certainly because their email validation is too
complex and makes assumptions which are incorrect about possible email
formats.

--
Roger Hayter