Artemia Salina

Default Auto Body Web Sites?

Yeah, I'm really getting into cars these days. As is typical of myself,
I catch "fevers" of interest in things. Lately it's been auto restoration
and customizing. I've been searching the web for sites having to do
with car chassis and suspension design, auto body fabrication and related
topics (I'm interested in interior upholstery too, but that ain't
metalworking!)

One thing I'd really like to find is a website detailing the anatomy of
a car body's components. I'm aware of the terms "front clip", "A Pillar",
"B Pillar", etc. but am hazy as to which is which is what, so a website
with a breakdown of these sections or components would solve a few riddles
for me.

One more question I might as well toss in here is, what are the obstacles
to getting a car that was fabricated from scratch registered and insured?
I seem to remember someone here had built a replica of an older sports
car (MG?) fabricating everything by himself, as opposed to just buying
a kit car. It must be difficult to get something like that registered
and insured for road use. Any tales of woe or triumph out there?

Thanks.

--
0:-) 0:-) 0:-) 0:-) (-:0 (-:0 (-:0 (-:0
0:-) Artemia Salina (-:0

Steve W.

[...]

Front clip - Usually everything from the firewall forward. Including the
frame/subframe, body parts, wiring. Does not include the
engine/drivetrain as a general rule.

Pillars - A pillar, Front pillars on either side of the windshield, The
next set back (usually at the back of the front doors) are B, Next set
would be C,D.. And so on.

Obstacles depend a LOT on what state your in and how many parts are
bought. In the easiest states you just build the car, take it on a
trailer to a local inspector, they look it over and assign a VIN then
you take that VIN and do the paperwork like any other vehicle. In others
you need paperwork for EVERYTHING, any purchased parts, certification of
any welding/fabrication work, Then you take it in and they inspect the
vehicle and do emissions testing based on the engine. Then they will add
up your materials costs and charge you a fee based on that number. Then
you get a VIN and go to DMV.

Artemia Salina

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:25:20 -0500, Steve W. wrote:

"Artemia Salina" wrote in message
news

One more question I might as well toss in here is, what are the obstacles
to getting a car that was fabricated from scratch registered and insured?

Obstacles depend a LOT on what state your in and how many parts are
bought. In the easiest states you just build the car, take it on a
trailer to a local inspector, they look it over and assign a VIN then
you take that VIN and do the paperwork like any other vehicle. In others
you need paperwork for EVERYTHING, any purchased parts, certification of
any welding/fabrication work, Then you take it in and they inspect the
vehicle and do emissions testing based on the engine. Then they will add
up your materials costs and charge you a fee based on that number. Then
you get a VIN and go to DMV.

Thanks Steve.

Karl Vorwerk posted a useful link to DMV departments in the US. From
looking at my state's DMV regs (Conn.) I live in one of those tougher
states. Rats! Looks like I might have to relocate when I retire.

That, or I'll have to fib. "Gee officer, didn't ALL Nash Metropolitans
blown 472 ci motors??... It seemed to kinda fit, sorta, so I just put it
in as a replacement for the old one!" "Well yeah, that DOES look like a
9 inch Ford rear end, now that you mention it! I wonder how THAT got
there?!?"

(Thanks for the link, Karl)

--
0:-) Artemia Salina (-:0