Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Bill LaFleur

Default Web Sites w/Sell By Owner Listings

Folks,

What are some good Web sites for finding properties sold by owners
[ie, avoiding realtor fees]? A couple that I've found:

www.isoldmyhouse.com
www.forsalebyowner.com

Googling didn't provide me with much - anyone have experience with
some good ones?

Thanks, Bill

(Bill LaFleur) wrote in message . com...
Folks,

What are some good Web sites for finding properties sold by owners
[ie, avoiding realtor fees]? A couple that I've found:

www.isoldmyhouse.com
www.forsalebyowner.com

Googling didn't provide me with much - anyone have experience with
some good ones?

Thanks, Bill

There are a bunch of FSBO sites but none seems to be very good. I've
had better luck looking at newspaper classifieds.
GoldLexus

Some ads on the FSBO sites are OLD. We put our house up on the
forsalebyowner.com site over 2 years ago and we still get calls to my cell
phone asking about the house we have for sale. We sold the house 14 months
ago. I tried to remove the ad from the site, it wont come off.

wrote in message
om...
(Bill LaFleur) wrote in message
. com...
Folks,

What are some good Web sites for finding properties sold by owners
[ie, avoiding realtor fees]? A couple that I've found:

www.isoldmyhouse.com
www.forsalebyowner.com

Googling didn't provide me with much - anyone have experience with
some good ones?

Thanks, Bill

There are a bunch of FSBO sites but none seems to be very good. I've
had better luck looking at newspaper classifieds.

GoldLexus

The fsbo site we used wasn't expensive. We paid $56.00, included signs and
the web listing but not a mls listing. We got a realtor after trying for a
couple of months. During the time we had our house up for sale we didn't get
one call from the website now 18 months later we've gotten tons of calls!
The reason why...is because NOW you can't get the house we were selling for
the price we had it listed at 18 months ago. Property values have gone up
pretty fast since than.
We have sold 2 houses in our history of owning homes. We did sell our first
house fsbo within 3 weeks. Tried fsbo again since it worked well for us
before but gave up after 2 months, we than listed with a realtor. The market
was really different when we sold fsbo over 15 years ago. I think if the
market is hot fsbo is the way to go. In a slower market fsbo could be a
problem.
Fsbo is a better deal. The house we sold fsbo we spent $36.00 for an ad in
the Sunday paper and $10.00 for the sign in the yard. A realtor would have
cost us about $4000. We got full asking price on that house. So it was
cheaper than the sale of our second house where we paid realtor commission.

k.net...

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
Some ads on the FSBO sites are OLD. We put our house up on the
forsalebyowner.com site over 2 years ago and we still get calls to my
cell
phone asking about the house we have for sale. We sold the house 14
months
ago. I tried to remove the ad from the site, it wont come off.

wrote in message
om...
(Bill LaFleur) wrote in message
. com...
Folks,

What are some good Web sites for finding properties sold by owners
[ie, avoiding realtor fees]? A couple that I've found:

www.isoldmyhouse.com
www.forsalebyowner.com

Googling didn't provide me with much - anyone have experience with
some good ones?

Thanks, Bill

There are a bunch of FSBO sites but none seems to be very good. I've
had better luck looking at newspaper classifieds.

David

(Bill LaFleur) wrote in message . com...
Folks,

What are some good Web sites for finding properties sold by owners
[ie, avoiding realtor fees]? A couple that I've found:

www.isoldmyhouse.com
www.forsalebyowner.com

Googling didn't provide me with much - anyone have experience with
some good ones?

Thanks, Bill

Not sure if your are interested in BUYING not selling why you
would care if they had a real estate agent or not. The seller
pays the realtor fees not the buyer. The ones I've see for sale
by owner don't seem any better deal than the ones through a
realtor. Just my opinion. Best wishes.
Davew
Ethan

(David) wrote in message om...
(Bill LaFleur) wrote in message . com...
Folks,

What are some good Web sites for finding properties sold by owners
[ie, avoiding realtor fees]? A couple that I've found:

www.isoldmyhouse.com
www.forsalebyowner.com

Googling didn't provide me with much - anyone have experience with
some good ones?

Thanks, Bill

Not sure if your are interested in BUYING not selling why you
would care if they had a real estate agent or not. The seller
pays the realtor fees not the buyer. The ones I've see for sale
by owner don't seem any better deal than the ones through a
realtor. Just my opinion. Best wishes.
Davew

It's called "passing the buck." If the seller wants $X in his pocket
from the exchange and an agent wants $Y, then the buyer will have to
pay $X+$Y.
Hagrinas Mivali

"Ethan" wrote in message
om...
(David) wrote in message

om...
[...]

Exactly. If you pay a certain amount for anything, but the seller got less,
then you are the one who paid the difference. To claim that the whole amount
went to the seller who then took the fee out and gave it to the agent
instead of saying that you gave the seller his share and you gave the agent
his share is just a game. Legally, the seller has the contract so that's
what determines who instructs the escrow company to pay the agent. But if
the buyer were the one legally obligated, the same amount would still go
into escrow, and the same amounts would still come out and get paid to each
party.

It's easier for the buyer's agent to tell a buyer that he is not paying the
fees so he should not worry. The fact is, the agent gets more of a
commission if the selling price is higher, so there's a conflict of
interest.

If I'm selling a house, and I want $100,000 for it, I may have to sell it
for $106,000. After settlement, I end up with my $100,000, and the agent
gets his $6,000. But you paid $106,000 so the $6,000 came out of your
pocket. Even if I settled for $94,000, you still paid more than I got, and
that extra amount still goes to the agent.

If I sold the same house on my own, I could afford to sell it for a lower
price and still get more. I could sell it for $103,000 and both sides would
save money. The brokers claim that they will get you a better price, but
people will pay what they think the house is worth, and if a private seller
has a better price, that's a better deal. Likewise, the buyer's agent
claims that he will get you a better price, but if the seller has to charge
more to pay him, that won't happen. Plus the agent wants as much commission
as possible so he's fine with a higher price.

Bobby The D

"Hagrinas Mivali" wrote in message news:

If I sold the same house on my own, I could afford to sell it for a lower
price and still get more. I could sell it for $103,000 and both sides would
save money. The brokers claim that they will get you a better price, but
people will pay what they think the house is worth, and if a private seller
has a better price, that's a better deal. Likewise, the buyer's agent
claims that he will get you a better price, but if the seller has to charge
more to pay him, that won't happen. Plus the agent wants as much commission
as possible so he's fine with a higher price.

I've always heard that getting all the paperwork/title search, etc.
done correctly is not always intuative, and can screw up the deal if
not done properly. Is this true or just bs from realtors trying to
scare people into using them instead of a fsbo?
Charles Spitzer

"Bobby The D" wrote in message
om...
[...]

the owner doesn't do that work, so how would they screw it up?

On 7 Sep 2004 12:09:10 -0700, someone wrote:

I've always heard that getting all the paperwork/title search, etc.
done correctly is not always intuative, and can screw up the deal if
not done properly. Is this true or just bs from realtors trying to
scare people into using them instead of a fsbo?

The Seller doesn't do any title work.

The Seller can have a lawyer help with the contract for far less than
a broker's commission.

The Seller does not conduct the closing, either an escrow or title
company does in an escrow closing state, or the closing attotneys do
in a "closing table" state.

The problem with doing a FSBO is that often both parties want to
occupy the same financial space at the same financial time. The Buyer
wants 6% off "because you're not paying a broker", and if the Buyer
gives it to them, then they are working for free and might as well
have used a broker for all the good it did them.

"We'll each split it 3% & 3%" usually doesn't work because the two
sides will disagree on how much the house is "really" worth. If you
can't agree on what is the beginning figure, how can anyone take off
from that.

FSBO can work if someone is mortgaged to the hilt and can't afford to
sell any other way, in a hot bubble market where "anything" sells
right away, or if the Seller is willing to give away the 6% to the
Buyer. OTOH, I have seen many cases where I felt a FSBO let the place
go too cheap, and others where they sat for many months because they
were not getting the market exposure, and then either went and listed
it anyway, or paid commish anyway to a Buyer's Broker.

Not everyone who lists is stupid and its not necessarily easy money.

-v.
Hagrinas Mivali

"Bobby The D" wrote in message
om...
[...]

An agent will not do that work either. He/she will use a title company and
an escrow company. You can go to the same title company yourself.

Hagrinas Mivali

"v" wrote in message
On 7 Sep 2004 12:09:10 -0700, someone wrote:

The Seller can have a lawyer help with the contract for far less than
a broker's commission.

In some parts of the country, it's routine to use a lawyer with a real
estate transaction. In other parts of the country, it's not done in general.
But it's an option no matter what.

You can also look for a discount broker, or a broker who will do the
paperwork for a fixed price, with the understanding that you will do all the
leg work and show up with a buyer. There are also regional discount brokers
that have a fixed price to list your house, advertise it, and do the
paperwork.

The problem with doing a FSBO is that often both parties want to
occupy the same financial space at the same financial time. The Buyer
wants 6% off "because you're not paying a broker", and if the Buyer
gives it to them, then they are working for free and might as well
have used a broker for all the good it did them.

In a seller's market, that's not a big problem. If you put the house up for
sale for the same price as you would with a broker, then the person can make
an offer or risk losing it. In any event, it's not reasonable for the person
to expect to save 6%. If the house is worth $100,000 and the person can get
it for $97,000 instead, there's nothing to complain about. If the person
pushes the issue and says that a broker is worth something, then you say,
"Fine. If you think a broker is worth something, let's bring one in. The
price will be $106,000. If you would prefer to save some money, we can do it
without a broker for $103,000. It's your choice."