stuart noble

Default boiler flue heat deflector

Anyone know how close to a plastic bath waste you can position a boiler
flue? IIRC 75mm is the rule, but would a deflector enable you to get closer?
Or maybe the bath waste itself could be replaced by the type of heat
resistant plastic used in condensing boilers?
In this instance every little helps since CORGI man decided to use the old
flue hole, leaving the base of the new boiler just 2" above the kitchen
worktop. Told the customer it was "the law". By my reckoning it could go up
at least 15".
Any thoughts appreciated.

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 10:39:31 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Anyone know how close to a plastic bath waste you can position a boiler
flue? IIRC 75mm is the rule, but would a deflector enable you to get closer?
Or maybe the bath waste itself could be replaced by the type of heat
resistant plastic used in condensing boilers?
In this instance every little helps since CORGI man decided to use the old
flue hole, leaving the base of the new boiler just 2" above the kitchen
worktop. Told the customer it was "the law". By my reckoning it could go up
at least 15".
Any thoughts appreciated.

1) See if you can download the manual for that particular model this is
the difinitive answer.

2) It will depend on the flue type and the rating of the boiler.
but typically this is 75mm for a typcial fan assisted flue/duct.
(I ues that must be clear minimum and not
between centres as that would be very close).

3) The issue might not be so much about heat from the flue but
restricting the path for the air intake.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

stuart noble

Ed Sirett wrote in message ...
1) See if you can download the manual for that particular model this is
the difinitive answer.

2) It will depend on the flue type and the rating of the boiler.
but typically this is 75mm for a typcial fan assisted flue/duct.
(I ues that must be clear minimum and not
between centres as that would be very close).

3) The issue might not be so much about heat from the flue but
restricting the path for the air intake.

OK. Thanks. I'll talk to Baxi, but even 75mm allows me to raise the boiler
15".

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:17:54 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote in message ...
1) See if you can download the manual for that particular model this is
the difinitive answer.

2) It will depend on the flue type and the rating of the boiler.
but typically this is 75mm for a typcial fan assisted flue/duct.
(I ues that must be clear minimum and not
between centres as that would be very close).

3) The issue might not be so much about heat from the flue but
restricting the path for the air intake.

OK. Thanks. I'll talk to Baxi, but even 75mm allows me to raise the boiler
15".

I can picture it now. The old boiler had a big balanced flue hole and the
installer reused the hole for the flue/duct.

Usually when I come across this situation the old hole is just where you
want to put the fixing for the new boiler...

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

stuart noble

Ed Sirett wrote in message ...
I can picture it now. The old boiler had a big balanced flue hole and the
installer reused the hole for the flue/duct.

Usually when I come across this situation the old hole is just where you
want to put the fixing for the new boiler...

But, as most new boilers have a top flue, the base of the boiler ends up
lower down than before which, in this case, renders the kitchen worktop
unuseable. I can't believe anyone with an ounce of respect for their
customer would do that, but my experience of plumbers suggests that they
inhabit their own little twilight world where ripping off the customer is
sport.
There are people that, if you give them a tenner, will give it back to you,
and then come and steal it.

John

"stuart noble" wrote in message

Ed Sirett wrote in message ...
I can picture it now. The old boiler had a big balanced flue hole and the
installer reused the hole for the flue/duct.

Usually when I come across this situation the old hole is just where you
want to put the fixing for the new boiler...

But, as most new boilers have a top flue, the base of the boiler ends up
lower down than before which, in this case, renders the kitchen worktop
unuseable. I can't believe anyone with an ounce of respect for their
customer would do that, but my experience of plumbers suggests that they
inhabit their own little twilight world where ripping off the customer is
sport.
There are people that, if you give them a tenner, will give it back to

you,
and then come and steal it.

"Some" new boilers have a back entry option for the flue (Glow Worm for one)
thus your displacement problem ceases to be pertinent

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:55:39 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote in message ...
I can picture it now. The old boiler had a big balanced flue hole and the
installer reused the hole for the flue/duct.

Usually when I come across this situation the old hole is just where you
want to put the fixing for the new boiler...

But, as most new boilers have a top flue, the base of the boiler ends up
lower down than before which, in this case, renders the kitchen worktop
unuseable. I can't believe anyone with an ounce of respect for their
customer would do that, but my experience of plumbers suggests that they
inhabit their own little twilight world where ripping off the customer is
sport.
There are people that, if you give them a tenner, will give it back to you,
and then come and steal it.

Sounds like some (ex)customers I know.

Most boilers have an option to put the flue at the rear of the cabinet
rather than the top. However some models require you to order a different
flue/duct when you buy.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Views on Potterton Suprema and Megaflow? Dave UK diy 20 November 14th 05 07:36 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Heat pump thermostat question Michael Baugh Home Repair 6 January 26th 04 07:50 AM
leaking heat exchanger in combi boiler (was:Vokera Linea 24 - heatexchanger ) Reestit Mutton UK diy 19 November 19th 03 12:55 PM