Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coming to a smart meter near you...

On 08/02/2021 20:22, newshound wrote:
Well yes, but it is arguably the right way to go. When we were both
kids the way demand was managed was voltage reductions, followed by
area disconnections. And usually the peaks only lasted an hour or two.

I have never experienced that IN MY LIFE in the UK.

Common in the London suburbs in the 1950's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 21:22, newshound wrote:
On 08/02/2021 20:22, newshound wrote:
Well yes, but it is arguably the right way to go. When we were both
kids the way demand was managed was voltage reductions, followed by
area disconnections. And usually the peaks only lasted an hour or two.

I have never experienced that IN MY LIFE in the UK.

Common in the London suburbs in the 1950's.

I lived in the london suburbs in the 1950s. I never saw such

First power cut I remember is the 1970s miners strike

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/02/2021 21:22, newshound wrote:
On 08/02/2021 20:22, newshound wrote:
Well yes, but it is arguably the right way to go. When we were both
kids the way demand was managed was voltage reductions, followed by
area disconnections. And usually the peaks only lasted an hour or two.

I have never experienced that IN MY LIFE in the UK.

Common in the London suburbs in the 1950's.

I lived in the london suburbs in the 1950s. I never saw such

First power cut I remember is the 1970s miners strike

They were not unknow inEdinburgh in the 1940s/50s. Storms from the NE would
cause sea water to get into the power ststion's switchgear. The trams all
stopped. My father had a paraffin lamp hanging on the kitchen wall -
being prepared.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 16:37:50 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

What if the freezer doesn't turn back on again and you come back from
holiday to soggy food?

Why wouldnt it? Have you ever come across a freezer that couldnt be
turned on and off at the wall?

Tim

When looking for a new fridge/freezer about 5 years ago I was tempted by
the Samsung range but totally put off by many purchasers' comments that
the electronically-set thermostat did not remember its programmed value
after even a short power cut, and without a programmed value the appliance
did not work. One commenter came back from holiday to find all his frozen
food defrosted/spoiled after a power cut that lasted a few seconds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A series of €˜modifications to the Smart Energy Code have been proposed
by officials and look set to pass into law by next spring.

These include giving networks the right to decide when they consider the
grid to be in a state of emergency and the power to switch off high
usage electrical devices such as electric vehicle chargers and central
heating systems in British homes.

Under the plans all homes would need to have a third generation smart
meter installed, to include a function that allows meters in the home to
receive and carry out orders made by the energy networks.

and you'd need to either rewire the house with separate circuits, which
seems nonsensically expensive

or have a house full of smart appliances, which is entirely at the whim of
the customer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Theo" wrote in message
Max Demian wrote:
The kind of device suitable for switching off to balance load would be
an EV charger and a heat pump, both of which will need new wiring back
to the consumer unit. The only other kind I can think of would be an
immersion heater. And perhaps the off-peak circuit if there are storage
heaters; but these are on a separate circuit anyway and probably won't
need switching off as they are on at, um, off-peak times.

I'm thinking of things like refrigeration - there's enough thermal mass in
the fridge/freezer that it'll hold temperature for several hours if the
door
isn't opened. So you can tell it not to run the compressor during peak
demand, as long as the temperature stays within acceptable limits. Over
the
fleet of millions of fridges, that adds up. I think supermarkets with
their
substantial chiller fleets are already doing this.

Adding a Zigbee module to talk to the smart meter would be a few dollars
at manufacture time.

except that manufacturers would see the addition of this item as a means to
add more smart functionality that they can sell to the user at an uber
premium price

The idea that this feature will be added at cost is for the birds

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Max Demian wrote:
On 09/02/2021 12:37, Theo wrote:
Max Demian wrote:
[...]

I've owned storage radiators that haven't come on "today" because the time
switch didn't notice the "on" time signal that it was sent

This isn't implemented via a fool-proof protocol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Feb 2021 16:33:22 +0000, Richard wrote:

On 08/02/2021 16:26, Jethro_uk wrote:
Didn't I warn about this last week ?

And last year ?

And 5 years ago ?

what will they do about people with dumb meters ?

You seem to have missed this in the text you snipped:
Under the plans all homes would need to have a third generation smart
meter installed, to include a function that allows meters in the home to
receive and carry out orders made by the energy networks.
/q

What happened to the plans to have everyone on 1st generation smart
meters. Or indeed 2nd generation smart meters ?

consumer resistance