Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart meter replacement 'Smart energy display'.

Someone I know is in the process of buying a house which has a British
Gas smart meter installed. Ignoring for a moment the portability issues
to a new provider, I presume it comes with some sort of SED (smart
Energy Display) which sits on a shelf somewhere a bit more accessible
that six feet under the stairs.

If the vendor has lost (or otherwise fails to hand over) the SED, how
easy is it to get a replacement?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote on 21/07/2018 :
If the vendor has lost (or otherwise fails to hand over) the SED, how easy is
it to get a replacement?

If supplier wants to retain customers, I suspect it would be quite easy
and no cost to the customer. I understood the display needed to be
paired to the meters HAN.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 14:15:44 on Sat, 21 Jul
2018, Harry Bloomfield remarked:
If the vendor has lost (or otherwise fails to hand over) the SED, how
easy is it to get a replacement?

If supplier wants to retain customers, I suspect it would be quite easy
and no cost to the customer.

You'd think that, but is it in fact the case?

[Sorry I should have said they have a BG electricity meter, don't know
about the actual gas meter].

I understood the display needed to be paired to the meters HAN.

Is that something a customer can do, perhaps by pressing buttons on each
within some fairly short time window?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry explained on 21/07/2018 :
Is that something a customer can do, perhaps by pressing buttons on each
within some fairly short time window?

--

I have no idea, one of the installers fitting the meters mentioned the
pairing needed to be set up..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
If the vendor has lost (or otherwise fails to hand over) the SED, how
easy is it to get a replacement?

Ask Mr eBay?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...tish+gas+smart

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It should be very easy once its paired. I am told this as they tell me when
they eventually take delivery of the talking display, which offgen says
they already should have, they will fit a standard meter and pair the new
display to it. I have no idea of the protocol, but it does assumedly only
work one way. I'd hat for somebody like a polish criminal to threaten to cut
off Birmingham if they don't get paid zillions of bitcoins!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
Someone I know is in the process of buying a house which has a British Gas
smart meter installed. Ignoring for a moment the portability issues to a
new provider, I presume it comes with some sort of SED (smart Energy
Display) which sits on a shelf somewhere a bit more accessible that six
feet under the stairs.

If the vendor has lost (or otherwise fails to hand over) the SED, how easy
is it to get a replacement?
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 18:47:26 on Sat,
21 Jul 2018, Theo remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
If the vendor has lost (or otherwise fails to hand over) the SED, how
easy is it to get a replacement?

Ask Mr eBay?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...tish+gas+smart

Not all of those are EDs, rather than the previous generation of
"clip-on" power monitor.

That suggests the street price is around £15, and thus maybe BG don't
hand them out free (or even at all without a fight).

Can any [BG] SED be DIY paired with any [BG] meter or is it not quite as
simple as that?

It also shows that given there's a market for these, it's well worth
asking if the vendor has made a quick buck selling it, and it's
therefore unavailable rather than tucked in a cupboard somewhere.
--
Roland Perry