Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My Airplane display is not on Display!

As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/
Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess my title should have said, NOW, not, not. Darn spell checker,
yeah I probably misspelled now. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed
booth.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Pretty neat when you see your own work (regardless of what it is), in the
company of the "big boys", isn't it? Congratulations.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Looks very professional. As usual.

--
 GW Ross

 A Canadian is an unarmed American
 with health insurance

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2013 8:42 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed
booth.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Pretty neat when you see your own work (regardless of what it is), in the
company of the "big boys", isn't it? Congratulations.

Yeah, It finally hit home with me when I saw these pictures. I was not
sure how well it would blend in although it apparently got rave reviews
from the employees. Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2013 8:31 AM, Leon wrote:
As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

How cool is that, Bubba! Fantastic ... all that detailed planning of
yours paid off, BIG TIME.

The banking angle is perfection personified (despite no flaps g ).

Congratulations!!

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

I guess my title should have said, NOW, not, not. Darn spell checker, yeah
I probably misspelled now. LOL

Cool that your display is now on display!

....and yes, spell checkers can do some interesting things to the written
word! I recall an embarrassing one when "Browning Citori" (a shotgun model)
was "corrected."

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:NL-
:

As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...stream/lightbo
x/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...stream/lightbo

x/

Fantastic!!

The Volga reference reminds me of a song from my youth:

Ik ben Olga van de Wolga
Ik drink wodka tot ik kapot ga
Ik eet kaviaar als een moordenaar
Omdat ik zoooveel van je hou!

I am Olga from the Volga
I drink vodka until I go kaput
I eat caviar like a murderer
Because I Looove you that much!

So sorry, you have to have had some ...
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:35:48 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

I guess my title should have said, NOW, not, not. Darn spell checker,
yeah I probably misspelled now. LOL

You should have used the spell checker on the display too. The
letters don't look like what we learned in school. .

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

I guess my title should have said, NOW, not, not. Darn spell checker,
yeah I probably misspelled now. LOL

You should have used the spell checker on the display too. The
letters don't look like what we learned in school. .

Don't you remember, Ed?
The optimists were learning Russian, the pessimists Chinese.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

I guess my title should have said, NOW, not, not. Darn spell checker,
yeah I probably misspelled now. LOL

Cool that your display is now on display!

...and yes, spell checkers can do some interesting things to the written
word! I recall an embarrassing one when "Browning Citori" (a shotgun
model) was "corrected."

Beautiful shotgun! Probably equally beautiful "other" '~)

And Thank you!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

It's really cool to see it not on display! It looks *great*on display!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

...and yes, spell checkers can do some interesting things to the written
word! I recall an embarrassing one when "Browning Citori" (a shotgun
model) was "corrected."

LOL ... Great shotgun, if you can find it.

Here's mine in action over 30 years ago:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tB...02;15;45PM.jpg

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company that
transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las Vegas
this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Saw the big Antonov take off from Las Vegas one time with a bunch of stuff
on board for Chernobyl. The paper said that it barely cleared the fence on
the other end. One hell of an airplane.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nicely done, Leon! Your design really shines when it is doing what
it was designed to do.

I must confess that I didn't read this thread earlier as I thought,

Well.... poor Leon.... he got screwed. Damnit! At least he got
paid!

Then to find it was OK all along, that's great!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2013 2:07 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company that
transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las Vegas
this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Saw the big Antonov take off from Las Vegas one time with a bunch of stuff
on board for Chernobyl. The paper said that it barely cleared the fence on
the other end. One hell of an airplane.

Steve

Even the model in my garage was big. LOL. Had the landing snagged the
fence, Las Vegas might have been relocated near Chernobyl. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

...and yes, spell checkers can do some interesting things to the written
word! I recall an embarrassing one when "Browning Citori" (a shotgun
model) was "corrected."

LOL ... Great shotgun, if you can find it.

Yup... got a 20 and a 12. Seldom use the 12 any more as I primarily upland
bird hunt... the 20 is my "magic gun." It's pretty much a "See bird, See
bird fall" thing where I don't even notice what happens in between. The way
it should be... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

...and yes, spell checkers can do some interesting things to the written
word! I recall an embarrassing one when "Browning Citori" (a shotgun
model) was "corrected."

LOL ... Great shotgun, if you can find it.

Yup... got a 20 and a 12. Seldom use the 12 any more as I primarily
upland bird hunt... the 20 is my "magic gun." It's pretty much a "See
bird, See bird fall" thing where I don't even notice what happens in
between. The way it should be... ;~)

I have an old Remington Model 11 (Browning patent) 20 ga (which I got
when I was 11 years old); a 1950's era Browning A5, 12 ga; and the
Citori O&U (full and modified choke) 12ga, magnum chambered.

The Citori is my favorite ... like you, it has become an extension of my
arms and eyes.

That said, I don't hunt much any longer, but I did more than my share of
dove, quail, duck and goose hunting for 50 years.

I did the below twice a year, with clients, for a good ten years ...
don't think it is even possible to do this any longer:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...a pbueiLe45QE

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

I have an old Remington Model 11 (Browning patent) 20 ga (which I got when
I was 11 years old); a 1950's era Browning A5, 12 ga; and the Citori O&U
(full and modified choke) 12ga, magnum chambered.

The Citori is my favorite ... like you, it has become an extension of my
arms and eyes.

That said, I don't hunt much any longer, but I did more than my share of
dove, quail, duck and goose hunting for 50 years.

I did the below twice a year, with clients, for a good ten years ... don't
think it is even possible to do this any longer:

In South America they have dove hunts... I think the standard package is two
cases of shells per day but you can buy more!

I've thinned out the inventory... down to the two Brownings, a 20 gauge S&W
Gold Elite English stock, and a 28 gauge CZ Ringneck. The Gold Elite is all
I used the past two seasons... great woodcock and grouse gun where action is
fast in tight cover. I do better with the Citori on the relatively slow
flying pheasants in more open cover but the Gold Elite carries so nicely I
carried it for them too... missed a few though. ;~)

Amusingly I used the Gold Elite at the Boy Scout sporting clays fundraiser
last fall at Orvis Sandanona... worst score I ever got, a 50, but that got
me first place in the "beginner's category" which we determined by the
median score...! LOL That gun was totally out of place amongst the 12 gauge
O/Us but I was there to have fun with the Gold Elite and I did. One of the
trappers was giving me crap about shooting from a low gun during warm up.
When my team showed up at his station during the shoot he started in again.
He didn't say a word after I hit 5/6, from a low gun at a difficult uphill,
tight, fast station where many got 0-3. That gun is made for that kind of
shooting... those big slow 12 gauge guns were handicapped there. ;~)

Sort of on topic... I'm working on a fitted case for the Gold Elite... oak
frame and exterior with a cherry interior. I made one but am not crazy about
it... it was a good learning experience though. I'm going to strip the
Brusso Quadrant Hinges and Gerstner leather handle and compartment (drawer)
pull and make another one.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message ...

[...]

Envy you the upland game shooting. The closest we have here to that
experience is Bob White quail in the Gulf Coast area. I used to load hay
bales for a neighbor farmer, all day in the hot summer sun, in exchange for
for the privilege of being able to hunt his acreage during quail season. I
grew up devouring the old "Field and Stream" mags and dreamed many a night
of pheasant and grouse hunting.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Envy you the upland game shooting. The closest we have here to that
experience is Bob White quail in the Gulf Coast area. I used to load hay
bales for a neighbor farmer, all day in the hot summer sun, in exchange for
for the privilege of being able to hunt his acreage during quail season. I
grew up devouring the old "Field and Stream" mags and dreamed many a night
of pheasant and grouse hunting.

It is fun for sure... and it's not about the numbers it's about the
experience. Habitat has become an issue as development and maturation of the
forests has cut the number of birds. When I was a kid wild pheasants and
grouse could be found in our large yard at times. Now my parents have
turkey.... which is an outgrowth of the maturation.

Regarding habitat I've gotten involved with the Ruffed Grouse Society as
treasurer of the Mid-Hudson chapter and my son Jesse is the secretary--the
youngest officer in RGS history. We had our inaugural fund raising banquet a
few weeks ago and had 73 participants. We've had discussions with the state
department of environmental conservation and NYC watershed folks and both
have indicated they would allow us to develop habitat on their lands.
Things are looking up!

We get a chance at quail on one piece of state forest preserve land. It is
stocked a couple times per year... don't think I've ever gotten more than 3
or 4 in a season though. It is a good place for stocked pheasants and the
woodcock flights keep things interesting. Ruffed grouse are the toughest to
find.... and kept secret!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/13 11:54 AM, Dave in Texas wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

PRO!

Dave in Texas

Definitely Pro. I have a friend who's done this for a living for quite a
while, while employed by another company and now, as owner of his own.
He specializes in museum displays and these kind of convention displays.

Leon, yours stands up in every aspect, with possibly one exception. In
his business, they usually only have a week or two to produce an entire
convention display. Of course, there's more than one guy doing it.

Kudos to you, looks fantastic.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2013 12:12 PM, -MIKE- wrote: On 3/9/13 11:54 AM, Dave in Texas
wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

As many of you will recall I built an airplane display for a company
that transports heavy cargo all over the world. My display is in Las
Vegas this week, who knows where after that.

Anyway it seems to blend in with the "Pro" commercially designed booth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

PRO!

Dave in Texas

Definitely Pro. I have a friend who's done this for a living for quite a
while, while employed by another company and now, as owner of his own.
He specializes in museum displays and these kind of convention displays.

Thank you! It looked good in my garage. ;~) I was not sure how it
would look compared to the other pieces that it would be used with. I
think it works. At least they liked it enough to send me these pictures.

Leon, yours stands up in every aspect, with possibly one exception. In
his business, they usually only have a week or two to produce an entire
convention display. Of course, there's more than one guy doing it.

I recall the day before Thanksgiving sending the quote to them and I got
a go ahead a couple of hours later. I bought materials the following
Monday and the unit was completed before the end of the year. There
were bumps in the road that delayed getting started in earnest and there
was about a 10 day period that I had to wait for the airplanes to arrive
so that I could space them before proceeding to cut the angles holes for
the mounting posts and covering the top with laminate. I'm sure the
guys that do this for a living already have an inventory of materials
that are premade much like Ikea furniture. This set up appeared to be
that way. I do recall feed back when the cabinet I built was first
assembled with out my guidance. The response was, it's nice to have a
display that goes together like you would think it should and it only
take 10 minutes.

I put a lot of thought into the simplicity factor. There are 8 bolts
that are all on the outside of the cabinet and that is all that is
needed to hold everything in place. This does not count the actual
mounting of the airplanes to the tops of the posts. Add 2 set screws
for that. There are two shelves for storage inside behind the back
doors and the airplane mounting posts slide through the angled top and
index into the top shelf for stability.

Kudos to you, looks fantastic.

Thanks again!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote

We get a chance at quail on one piece of state forest preserve land. It is
stocked a couple times per year... don't think I've ever gotten more than
3 or 4 in a season though. It is a good place for stocked pheasants and
the woodcock flights keep things interesting. Ruffed grouse are the
toughest to find.... and kept secret!

I kinda got spoiled early in life at age 13. I used to get taken with some
other boys, and their dads, to some fantastic quail shooting near the town
of Searchlight, home of Sen. Harry Reid. We used to go on overniters there,
and always limited out. Well, nearly. In other parts of the state, I have
seen a thousand in one day. So many in a covey that they made your mind
spin when they all walked at the same time, like during an earthquake when
something's just not right, the ground is moving. I live in Utah now, and
don't hunt quail here. Not too many around. Not like southern Nevada.

Steve