Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leak into roof of attached garage

The house is a detached bungalow, late 1960s build, with the length of
the roof running from front to back so that the gutters run also front
to back. Similar to
https://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/eca2b33a0...27-b0-p0--.jpg
when looking from the front.

A brick garage is on the left hand side and extends a few feet (enough
for a side door plus a bit). The roof is felted - see other post re
moss problems.

Water is getting in at the end of the bungalow and around the side
door.

I'm not fully up with the bulding terms but the verge under the last
two edge tiles are cracked, and the area underneath and therefore to
around the top of the garage is coming away. It's a sort of render.
The best I can do to explain it is that it is similar to the
unlabelled black area under the verge at
https://www.nationalplastics.co.uk/b...nedbullets.jpg

Tips, clues how to diagnose and how to repair needed.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 February 2021 at 10:33:14 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

A photo of the actual area in question would be a lot more helpful. One issue with built up felt roofs is that a leak manifesting itself at one point could be due to damage elsewhere and water moving between detached layers. Frankly if that roof has been there since the sixties it is well past its sell by date especially if it has felted chipboard boarding common at that time. I suspect you may find yourself chasing the problem and in the end replacement with 18mm plywood boarding and modern flat roof membranes will be the only way to get peace of mind.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2021 12:23, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Nothing wrong with OSB3 for flat roofing. Also available in T&G 8x2
versions which is ??essential if you are going to have fibreglass
otherwise you must support all edges on noggins.

18mm ply is generally only used for flat roofs on residences where
building control might be involved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 04:23:33 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

On Sunday, 7 February 2021 at 10:33:14 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
The house is a detached bungalow, late 1960s build, with the length of=20
the roof running from front to back so that the gutters run also front=20
to back. Similar to=20
https://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/eca2b33a0...b0-p0--.jpg=20
when looking from the front.=20
=20
A brick garage is on the left hand side and extends a few feet (enough=20
for a side door plus a bit). The roof is felted - see other post re=20
moss problems.=20
=20
Water is getting in at the end of the bungalow and around the side=20
door.=20
=20
I'm not fully up with the bulding terms but the verge under the last=20
two edge tiles are cracked, and the area underneath and therefore to=20
around the top of the garage is coming away. It's a sort of render.=20
The best I can do to explain it is that it is similar to the=20
unlabelled black area under the verge at=20
https://www.nationalplastics.co.uk/b...016/05/roofli=

neexplainedbullets.jpg=20
=20
Tips, clues how to diagnose and how to repair needed.=20
=20
--=20
AnthonyL=20
=20
Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

A photo of the actual area in question would be a lot more helpful. One iss=
ue with built up felt roofs is that a leak manifesting itself at one point =
could be due to damage elsewhere and water moving between detached layers. =
Frankly if that roof has been there since the sixties it is well past it=E2=
=80=99s sell by date especially if it has felted chipboard boarding common =
at that time. I suspect you may find yourself chasing the problem and in th=
e end replacement with 18mm plywood boarding and modern flat roof membrane=
s will be the only way to get peace of mind.

Photos are at:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU9zaHt

The roof has been refelted since the property was built but probably
not in the last 15yrs.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You could have a number of problems there. The first thing I would look at is the lower rows of tiles on the main roof, that is a worrying missing piece of tile alongside some rather loose mortar verge. If water is getting in there you may find the sarking perished and as the felting seems attached to the original eaves and barge boards, damaged sarking will simply allow water to work its way down and produce those damp patches in the garage.

When we moved into our bungalow it was linked detached to next doors by a carport. The previous owners had UPVC cladding covering the original eaves boards which simply masked problems similar to yours on all corners but particularly at the interface of carport and our roof with the carport felting extending under the second row of tiles on our roof. Because we had problems on the other side of the roof with perished sarking not to mention a leak, we decided to replace the roof and this meant approaching our neighbour. He had multiple problems with the carport roof and was not prepared to try to repair it. He was therefore quite happy to remove it and thus allow rotted fascias to be repaired, we were quite happy to have the link removed as it then made us a detached bungalow as well as getting things put right. On our side any rot was limited to fascias and only a couple of rafters showed any water damage which was as well as they are in fact trusses. On my neighbours side where the carport interfaced similarly to ours the water damage was far greater particularly at the roof overhangs where water was getting into loose mortar verges and perishing the sarking and damaging the false rafters underneath and required significant repair and splicing in new timber.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The second photo indicates this has already been repaired. All I can
suggest is a thorough clean and for a temporary repair more felt in
conjunction with suitable bitumastic sealant as glue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what exactly the "this is" that you are referring to.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
Photos are at:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU9zaHt

The roof has been refelted since the property was built but probably
not in the last 15yrs.

The second photo indicates this has already been repaired. All I can
suggest is a thorough clean and for a temporary repair more felt in
conjunction with suitable bitumastic sealant as glue.

Looks like it could do with a decent bit of lead work there.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The felt "this is coming away" looks different felt to that used
anywhere else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
Photos are at:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU9zaHt

The roof has been refelted since the property was built but probably
not in the last 15yrs.

The second photo indicates this has already been repaired. All I can
suggest is a thorough clean and for a temporary repair more felt in
conjunction with suitable bitumastic sealant as glue.

Looks like it could do with a decent bit of lead work there.

I do think of felt as a poor man's lead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2021 16:46, AnthonyL wrote:

Photos are at:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU9zaHt

The roof has been refelted since the property was built but probably
not in the last 15yrs.

The original garage roof would have been an exact rectangle, I suspect.
Then that plastic-roofed lean-to was added and the garage roof extended
to join on to it, and it looks like some repair work has been done with
torch-on felt onto what may have been damp timber.

The felt curls up the 'gable end' of the lean-to, but not where the
extended bit of garage roof wraps around the corner of the house. This
is part of the problem. You need an upstand where ever a flat roof
meets a vertical wall or structure. You have been visited by Messrs
Bodge_It_And_Scarper, Quids_We_Win_Pounds_You_Lose at some point.

Is that timber or brick that can be seen where one of your red arrows
points to ?.

Looking at the damp patch, there is also inadequate fall to the
garage roof anyway, resulting in ponding in the area where the
leak is occurring. This is a double whammy at this time of year
because you don't know how much damage there is until you can
carry out a major investigation. Until then a big tin of
Thompsons emergency wet patch might keep the rain out.

Since this is just a garage I would pull down all that bowed
plasterboard (artex with asbestos ??) so that the timber can
dry out and you can see where it is coming in. Also means you
can position a suitable bucket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Once I find my outdoor ski gear I'll look more closely at
what may have been old and what may have been new.

I've got a roll of felt, originally intended for a shed, and some
bitumen. What's best to do? Cut off the loose felt and re-cover?
How best to clean?

Can the felt be heated up first and is there any benefit in so doing?

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You really need a dry surface to paint any roof felt adhesive. Warm felt
is more pliable and more likely to take the contours of edges without
cracking or trying to revert to their former flatness.

As others have said there are liquid treatments. These are simple to
apply. My instinct is that they won't last so long.