Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Leak into roof of attached garage

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 04:23:33 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

On Sunday, 7 February 2021 at 10:33:14 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
The house is a detached bungalow, late 1960s build, with the length of=20
the roof running from front to back so that the gutters run also front=20
to back. Similar to=20
https://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/eca2b33a0...b0-p0--.jpg=20
when looking from the front.=20
=20
A brick garage is on the left hand side and extends a few feet (enough=20
for a side door plus a bit). The roof is felted - see other post re=20
moss problems.=20
=20
Water is getting in at the end of the bungalow and around the side=20
door.=20
=20
I'm not fully up with the bulding terms but the verge under the last=20
two edge tiles are cracked, and the area underneath and therefore to=20
around the top of the garage is coming away. It's a sort of render.=20
The best I can do to explain it is that it is similar to the=20
unlabelled black area under the verge at=20
https://www.nationalplastics.co.uk/b...016/05/roofli=

neexplainedbullets.jpg=20
=20
Tips, clues how to diagnose and how to repair needed.=20
=20
--=20
AnthonyL=20
=20
Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

A photo of the actual area in question would be a lot more helpful. One iss=
ue with built up felt roofs is that a leak manifesting itself at one point =
could be due to damage elsewhere and water moving between detached layers. =
Frankly if that roof has been there since the sixties it is well past it=E2=
=80=99s sell by date especially if it has felted chipboard boarding common =
at that time. I suspect you may find yourself chasing the problem and in th=
e end replacement with 18mm plywood boarding and modern flat roof membrane=
s will be the only way to get peace of mind.

Photos are at:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU9zaHt

The roof has been refelted since the property was built but probably
not in the last 15yrs.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?