Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Leak into roof of attached garage

On 09/02/2021 12:57, AnthonyL wrote:
On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 16:59:34 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 08/02/2021 12:18, AnthonyL wrote:
On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 01:01:34 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 07/02/2021 16:46, AnthonyL wrote:
On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 04:23:33 -0800 (PST), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

On Sunday, 7 February 2021 at 10:33:14 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
The house is a detached bungalow, late 1960s build, with the length of=20
the roof running from front to back so that the gutters run also front=20
to back. Similar to=20
https://st.hzcdn.com/fimgs/eca2b33a0...b0-p0--.jpg=20
when looking from the front.=20
=20
A brick garage is on the left hand side and extends a few feet (enough=20
for a side door plus a bit). The roof is felted - see other post re=20
moss problems.=20
=20
Water is getting in at the end of the bungalow and around the side=20
door.=20
=20
I'm not fully up with the bulding terms but the verge under the last=20
two edge tiles are cracked, and the area underneath and therefore to=20
around the top of the garage is coming away. It's a sort of render.=20
The best I can do to explain it is that it is similar to the=20
unlabelled black area under the verge at=20
https://www.nationalplastics.co.uk/b...016/05/roofli=
neexplainedbullets.jpg=20
=20
Tips, clues how to diagnose and how to repair needed.=20
=20
--=20
AnthonyL=20
=20
Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

A photo of the actual area in question would be a lot more helpful. One iss=
ue with built up felt roofs is that a leak manifesting itself at one point =
could be due to damage elsewhere and water moving between detached layers. =
Frankly if that roof has been there since the sixties it is well past it=E2=
=80=99s sell by date especially if it has felted chipboard boarding common =
at that time. I suspect you may find yourself chasing the problem and in th=
e end replacement with 18mm plywood boarding and modern flat roof membrane=
s will be the only way to get peace of mind.

Photos are at:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmU9zaHt

The roof has been refelted since the property was built but probably
not in the last 15yrs.

The second photo indicates this has already been repaired. All I can
suggest is a thorough clean and for a temporary repair more felt in
conjunction with suitable bitumastic sealant as glue.

I'm not sure what exactly the "this is" that you are referring to.

The felt "this is coming away" looks different felt to that used
anywhere else.

Thanks. Once I find my outdoor ski gear I'll look more closely at
what may have been old and what may have been new.

I've got a roll of felt, originally intended for a shed, and some
bitumen. What's best to do? Cut off the loose felt and re-cover?
How best to clean?

Can the felt be heated up first and is there any benefit in so doing?

You really need a dry surface to paint any roof felt adhesive. Warm felt
is more pliable and more likely to take the contours of edges without
cracking or trying to revert to their former flatness.

As others have said there are liquid treatments. These are simple to
apply. My instinct is that they won't last so long.