Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 06:05:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anybody had a Home Eye Test ?

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Another John wrote:
+1 Not only the NHS - what about the customers! We're being
double-fleeced: first they screw our NHS, then they screw us
personally, when it comes to having to choose a new frame... (costing
hundreds of pounds) ; plus your lenses... (costing hundreds of
pounds); oh! and which special coatings would you like? Buying a
"special coating to protect against scratches?" Shouldn't that be
part of the bloody lenses?

Well, I got two pairs of plain specs (but with astigmatism correction)
for £70 all in from Specsavers. Like anything else you can upgrade to
what you feel you can afford.

Huh!
Now try and persuade them to reglaze your current pair!

I normally wear contact lenses so they were really just for emergency use.
But look OK with the standard frames. Of course if you want something
special it's going to cost more.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 01 Feb 2021 14:45:31 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 01/02/2021 14:19, jon wrote:
On Mon, 01 Feb 2021 12:38:57 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 01/02/2021 12:19, jon wrote:

I wouldn't want to sit in an optician's shop for half an hour during
Covid.

You'd be surprised at the extra lengths we (some, perhaps not all) are
going to to provide as safe and sanitary an environment as possible.

Things are nothing like they were a year or so ago in our gaff.

There is always the possibility of someone walking in the shop with an
asymptomatic Covid condition. (not sure if they all are infectious
though)

Yeah, Not entirely risk free I concur. Infinitely safer than a
supermarket trip though.

It's one at a time, PPE all round, 15 minute cleanup between customer*
(seating/equipment etc), everything they've tried on gets sterilised,
we're testing ourselves regularly (FWIW though cos our tests are the
lateral flow ones), only seeing people where there's a need rather than
dragging them in just because they are due.

*The profession hates that term and prefers patient. I don't like it
personally.

Many opticians would prefer we were for the most part shut down and
getting handouts like last April and onwards. I dunno, i've never been
part of the claim culture but it's moot because we *are* allowed to
open, hence can't get funding and we need to eat.

And the reason we are allowed to open almost as normal in case anyone is
interested is that during the first lockdown opticians were supposed to
have a locked door and deal with genuine emergencies only, treat basic
stuff or triage, so that fewer people visited A&E.
But some within 'Britains Most Trusted' just couldn't help themselves
and were going to see people routinely anyway.
This caused an outcry in Optician Land and the professional bodies, who
haven't really the weight to take them on backtracked, moved the
goalposts shamelessly and history was literally rewritten.

About four years ago, I had an eye test and got a pair of specs with
photochromic, varifocal lenses. I subsequently had a cataract operation on
one eye and had to buy another lens. Sometime later, I had another
cataract operation on the other eye, this required another lens and the
optician said I would need to replace both lenses because they could not
guarantee matching the other lens. Anyway I elected to go with just one
replacement and it was true, they didn't match. I was surprised at the
random nature of preparing lenses, in science the processes should be
repeatable to a very high degree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2021 05:52, jon wrote:

About four years ago, I had an eye test and got a pair of specs with
photochromic, varifocal lenses. I subsequently had a cataract operation on
one eye and had to buy another lens. Sometime later, I had another
cataract operation on the other eye, this required another lens and the
optician said I would need to replace both lenses because they could not
guarantee matching the other lens. Anyway I elected to go with just one
replacement and it was true, they didn't match. I was surprised at the
random nature of preparing lenses, in science the processes should be
repeatable to a very high degree.

Photochromic varifocal lenses are virtually impossible to match since
one of the pair will have been exposed to a few years of sunlight whilst
the other is fresh stock material (which varies a bit batch to batch).

Same problem with matching car paints. The pigments age under UV so a
perfect match from new will diverge as UV in sunlight fades the car.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 03 Feb 2021 09:13:09 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

On 03/02/2021 05:52, jon wrote:

[...]

I understand Martin, but at £100 a lens I would expect a bit of time
matching the tint. A cabinet maker would spend time and have remnants of
wood to match a colour and texture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

Photochromic varifocal lenses are virtually impossible to match since
one of the pair will have been exposed to a few years of sunlight whilst
the other is fresh stock material (which varies a bit batch to batch).

I understand Martin, but at £100 a lens I would expect a bit of time
matching the tint. A cabinet maker would spend time and have remnants of
wood to match a colour and texture.

You were warned it wouldn't work, it didn't work, and you're surprised?

A cabinetmaker can apply finish in stages to reach the desired level,
and might be able to remove some types of finish and try again, I doubt
the same is true of lens coatings.

If the cost of the effort is greater to match a single lens than the
cost of supplying both lenses, I can see why they wouldn't bother.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2021 05:52, jon wrote:

[...]

The trouble is matching the ageing.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jon wrote:
Photochromic varifocal lenses are virtually impossible to match since
one of the pair will have been exposed to a few years of sunlight whilst
the other is fresh stock material (which varies a bit batch to batch).

Same problem with matching car paints. The pigments age under UV so a
perfect match from new will diverge as UV in sunlight fades the car.

I understand Martin, but at £100 a lens I would expect a bit of time
matching the tint.

How much time do you expect a skilled technician to spend attempting this?

What do you expect the running costs per hour of the lab he works in to
be, including his pay?

It's the same argument as putting your car in for repair. A main dealer
might charge £150 an hour. So no point in a mechanic trying to fix a part
costing £100 new if it takes him an hour to do so. They would simply
replace it.

A cabinet maker would spend time and have remnants of
wood to match a colour and texture.

Would you pay for this if you could buy a new 'cabinet' more cheaply?

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Japanese eye test Ignoramus3982 Metalworking 17 January 23rd 11 02:15 AM
OT - eye test Dave Baker UK diy 63 July 31st 10 05:59 PM
OT - eye test robgraham UK diy 8 July 23rd 10 12:57 PM
The eye of the hurricane - Eye of the hurricane.JPG John Fields Electronic Schematics 45 February 1st 10 12:43 AM
Anybody had any dealings with 'Planet' double glazing co mad man UK diy 9 March 17th 06 04:44 PM