Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - eye test

On 21 July, 23:17, Malcolm wrote:
Dave Baker wrote:
Went for a free eye test at Tesco in Slough today cos my 20 year old frames
are broken and I need a new pair. Surprisingly my prescription hasn't
changed much more than a jot in nearly 35 years. Back in 1977 I *was minus
1.75 dioptres in both eyes (short sighted) with a touch of astigmatism. The
astigmatism moved around a bit over the various tests over the years but the
basic sphere correction has stayed the same. My old specs work just as well
as they ever did. I thought eyes might get worse over time but apparently
not. I'm still minus 1.75 in both eyes and can still read the smallest print
on the charts despite the inevitable eye lense hardening over the years..

Do other people find the same or do eyes generally get worse over time?

I have had a 9 - 10 dipotre correction for short sight but recently this
has come down to about 8 as age related long sight has kicked in *I now
have varifocals to cope with the reading problem that this created

Malcolm

Well at 68 I'm well into presbyopia - bloody nuisance as I cannot read
a thing without glasses and my distance vision is OK.

I find the cheap 'reader' specs are fine - 3 for ~£10 +VAT from
Costco, and I can have a pair in the workshop, one in my jacket and
the third round the house.

That was from about 60 but the focus distance has moved out and the
lens strength has gone up so there are now 2 sets of glasses around !
If I'm doing PCB work I now pile two if not three pairs down my nose
and the strengths add up. No one sees me so I only know I look a
prat !!

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John :
"Snipped !
If I'm doing PCB work I now pile two if not three pairs down my nose
and the strengths add up. No one sees me so I only know I look a
prat !!

Rob

Can't be a good idea due to the number of glass surfaces you are looking
through.
Are you too mean to buy a cheap pair of reading glasses?

Perhaps you should have read what Rob wrote, including "I find the cheap
'reader' specs are fine", before you cheerfully snipped it.

For some years I used to double-up on my 1.5 cheap reader specs when
required. Then it occurred to me to buy a 3.0 pair for close work. But
they're not always close to hand, so sometimes I revert to using two
pairs of 1.5s. Sometimes even the 3.0s *and* a pair of 1.5s.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:45:15 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

John :
"Snipped !
If I'm doing PCB work I now pile two if not three pairs down my nose
and the strengths add up. No one sees me so I only know I look a
prat !!

Rob

Can't be a good idea due to the number of glass surfaces you are looking
through.
Are you too mean to buy a cheap pair of reading glasses?

Perhaps you should have read what Rob wrote, including "I find the cheap
'reader' specs are fine", before you cheerfully snipped it.

For some years I used to double-up on my 1.5 cheap reader specs when
required. Then it occurred to me to buy a 3.0 pair for close work. But
they're not always close to hand, so sometimes I revert to using two
pairs of 1.5s. Sometimes even the 3.0s *and* a pair of 1.5s.

I just have groups of +1.25, +2 and +3.5/4 around the house: loft, back
bedroom (shed), my bedroom, bathroom, hall, 3 rooms downstairs and out in
t'shed.
+2s are for careful marking up and reading smaller stuff; +3.5/4 for v.
fine work and not worn for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Most
work, inc. PC, is OK at +1.25.
At least 1.25 allows freedom of movemen - I just don't focus on one thing
or at a fixed distance so that weak glasses have little effect when moving
from place to place. This allows the 1.25s to congregate in the wrong
places.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:59:16 +0100, PeterC wrote:

I just have groups of +1.25, +2 and +3.5/4 around the house: loft, back
bedroom (shed), my bedroom, bathroom, hall, 3 rooms downstairs and out
in t'shed.

Flippin heck I'm glad I have to have them on me nose for every waking
hour. Having random pairs scattered willy nilly all over the place
would drive me insane.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I just have groups of +1.25, +2 and +3.5/4 around the house: loft, back
bedroom (shed), my bedroom, bathroom, hall, 3 rooms downstairs and out in
t'shed.
+2s are for careful marking up and reading smaller stuff; +3.5/4 for v.
fine work and not worn for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Most
work, inc. PC, is OK at +1.25.
At least 1.25 allows freedom of movemen - I just don't focus on one thing
or at a fixed distance so that weak glasses have little effect when moving
from place to place. This allows the 1.25s to congregate in the wrong
places.

Think yourself lucky that your eyes are both the same, and that you
don't have astigmatism :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 11:59 pm, PeterC wrote:

I just have groups of +1.25, +2 and +3.5/4 around the house: loft, back
bedroom (shed), my bedroom, bathroom, hall, 3 rooms downstairs and out in
t'shed.
+2s are for careful marking up and reading smaller stuff; +3.5/4 for v.
fine work and not worn for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Most
work, inc. PC, is OK at +1.25.
At least 1.25 allows freedom of movemen - I just don't focus on one thing
or at a fixed distance so that weak glasses have little effect when moving
from place to place. This allows the 1.25s to congregate in the wrong
places.

I also have glasses around the house wherever I need to read. I have
trained myself to take off my glasses when I stand up.
When at work I have glasses in my pocket. It's a right pain putting
them on and taking them off while wearing leather safety gloves that
are covered in oil. If I walk around wearing the glasses I'm likely to
fall in the pit which is exceedingly large and deep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 22 Jul,
Mike Barnes wrote:

For some years I used to double-up on my 1.5 cheap reader specs when
required. Then it occurred to me to buy a 3.0 pair for close work. But
they're not always close to hand, so sometimes I revert to using two
pairs of 1.5s. Sometimes even the 3.0s *and* a pair of 1.5s.

I sometimes just take mine off, and sometimes I use my sons old pair (Similar
astigmatism but no short sight) for close work. Other times (for /very/ close
work, I use my mothers old pair of reading specs, about +4 on top of my
similar amount of short sight. Almost like a microscope.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I sometimes just take mine off, and sometimes I use my sons old pair
(Similar astigmatism but no short sight) for close work. Other times
(for /very/ close work, I use my mothers old pair of reading specs,
about +4 on top of my similar amount of short sight. Almost like a
microscope.

Since I wear contact lenses my distance vision is normal which allows the
use of those ready made reading specs, which come in various powers, up to
about +5. Have several pairs of different strengths - for the computer
screen, reading, and examining PCBs for faults etc. Cheaper and better
than workshop things sold for the purpose.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:26:09 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

[...]

Yes, I did [only] once make the mistake of walking with +4 still on but it
was like being dizzy so I didn't get far. +1.25 don't really have much
effect.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away