Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anybody had a Home Eye Test ?

In article ,
jon wrote:
Photochromic varifocal lenses are virtually impossible to match since
one of the pair will have been exposed to a few years of sunlight whilst
the other is fresh stock material (which varies a bit batch to batch).

Same problem with matching car paints. The pigments age under UV so a
perfect match from new will diverge as UV in sunlight fades the car.

I understand Martin, but at £100 a lens I would expect a bit of time
matching the tint.

How much time do you expect a skilled technician to spend attempting this?

What do you expect the running costs per hour of the lab he works in to
be, including his pay?

It's the same argument as putting your car in for repair. A main dealer
might charge £150 an hour. So no point in a mechanic trying to fix a part
costing £100 new if it takes him an hour to do so. They would simply
replace it.

A cabinet maker would spend time and have remnants of
wood to match a colour and texture.

Would you pay for this if you could buy a new 'cabinet' more cheaply?

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.