Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Covid testing when being vaccinated

AnthonyL wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 15:34:35 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

I arrived at 22:20, ten minutes before my allocated time, at a
Park & Ride in Nottingham.

There was a substantial queue, which would have been even longer
if everyone knew how far 2 metres was.

Same site then and I'd have been just a few yards in front of you.

Small world. :-)

Queue had not abated when I left but I think 10.30 was the last
appointment.

I agree that the queue was no shorter, but how?. Were they all
very late? Whilst I was having my compulsory 15 minute wait,
someone checked out from a 22:40 appointment. I couldn't read the
details on the tablets they were using, but there seemed to be
quite a lot of time slots below mine.

Didn't need to worry about the 2m distancing with the easterly breeze
blowing everything towards the trams.

;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
Queue had not abated when I left but I think 10.30 was the last
appointment.

Seems as if the problems have continued judging by some Facebook
comments. Hope it gets sorted soon. Some were reporting 1hr 40mins
queue times.

You'd need to know if it were an appointment system where you were kept
waiting - or a turn up any time one.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
Queue had not abated when I left but I think 10.30 was the last
appointment.

Seems as if the problems have continued judging by some Facebook
comments. Hope it gets sorted soon. Some were reporting 1hr 40mins
queue times.

You'd need to know if it were an appointment system where you were kept
waiting - or a turn up any time one.

This is an appointment site. As I said earlier, I joined the
queue at about 22:20 with a 22:30 appointment. I was jabbed at
23:15.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2021 15:26, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
Queue had not abated when I left but I think 10.30 was the last
appointment.

Seems as if the problems have continued judging by some Facebook
comments. Hope it gets sorted soon. Some were reporting 1hr 40mins
queue times.

You'd need to know if it were an appointment system where you were kept
waiting - or a turn up any time one.

This is an appointment site. As I said earlier, I joined the
queue at about 22:20 with a 22:30 appointment. I was jabbed at
23:15.

My wife had an appointment at 16:20 yesterday at a local medical centre.
I took her and she joined the queue at about 16:17. She was in by 16:20
and back out by 16:40, including the 15 minute wait afterwards! It was
very busy, car park full and more cars parked along the road. I heard
today that they did over 1000 vaccinations there on Saturday. During the
time I was waiting, the queue never exceeded 10 people and disappeared
completely at times. They've got it well organised there - the marshals
were all volunteers, but I don't know about those giving the vaccinations.

Incidentally, she got the Pfizer vaccine, while the woman next to her,
who had an allergy problem, got the AZ vaccine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
On 01/02/2021 15:26, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

My vaccinator's badge said "Health Visitor". In SWMBO's case it said
"District Nurse".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
My wife had an appointment at 16:20 yesterday at a local medical centre.
I took her and she joined the queue at about 16:17. She was in by 16:20
and back out by 16:40, including the 15 minute wait afterwards! It was
very busy, car park full and more cars parked along the road. I heard
today that they did over 1000 vaccinations there on Saturday. During the
time I was waiting, the queue never exceeded 10 people and disappeared
completely at times. They've got it well organised there - the marshals
were all volunteers, but I don't know about those giving the vaccinations.

Yup - can only speak for those I've heard from locally, but if organised
by your GP (usually in conjunction with other local practices) very little
in the way of queueing if at all. I had the same with my flu jab - in and
out. Unlike previous years where there was a bit of a wait.

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 18:53, John Rumm wrote:

That does seem rather excessive - I can imagine a good number of 80+
year olds would have trouble standing about in the cold for that amount
of time!

But isn't the advice not to turn up to early? That's the whole point of
the appointment times. However, if you are used to the NHS hospital way
of assigning appointments in normal times you may come to have come to
the conclusion that everyone has been given the same appointment time
and it's fist come first served.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 10:42, Chris Green wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:18:12 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Have I missed something? Are people routinely tested for Covid when
they turn up for their vaccination?

I was simply asked about symptoms in the last few days. I have mine
booked for tomorrow.

I suspect there will be a temperature check.

Not for us, no actual 'interventions' at all apart from the
vaccination itself. They asked a few simple, sensible questions but
that was all.

Same here, also didn't have to wait around afterwards for 15 mins (AZ).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:18:12 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Have I missed something? Are people routinely tested for Covid when
they turn up for their vaccination?

I was simply asked about symptoms in the last few days. I have mine
booked for tomorrow.

I suspect there will be a temperature check.

Not for us, no actual 'interventions' at all apart from the vaccination
itself. They asked a few simple, sensible questions but that was all.

Same here, also didn't have to wait around afterwards for 15 mins (AZ).

I arrived about 5 minutes early, but they were running 20 minutwes late.
Was told to wait in the car until a specific time, then book in under a
gazebo they had up at the entrance. 5 minute wait inside.

We only had to wait 15 minutes if we owned up to any sort of allergy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 30/01/2021 18:53, John Rumm wrote:

That does seem rather excessive - I can imagine a good number of 80+
year olds would have trouble standing about in the cold for that amount
of time!

But isn't the advice not to turn up to early? That's the whole point of
the appointment times. However, if you are used to the NHS hospital way
of assigning appointments in normal times you may come to have come to
the conclusion that everyone has been given the same appointment time
and it's fist come first served.

A great many years ago, I was given a 9am appointment for an NHS fracture
clinic. At 9.30, when there just apperaed to be more people arriving and
no-one being seen, I asked at the desk when I would be seen. "HE doesn't
come in until 10am, but HE's a busy person, so we don't like to keep HIM
waiting." By the time HE deigned to put in an appearance there were 15
people (perhaps busy ones) waiting.

Hopefully that attitude has changed.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2021 11:21, Tim Streater wrote:
On 06 Feb 2021 at 11:16:46 GMT, alan_m wrote:

On 30/01/2021 18:53, John Rumm wrote:

That does seem rather excessive - I can imagine a good number of 80+
year olds would have trouble standing about in the cold for that amount
of time!

But isn't the advice not to turn up to early? That's the whole point of
the appointment times. However, if you are used to the NHS hospital way
of assigning appointments in normal times you may come to have come to
the conclusion that everyone has been given the same appointment time
and it's fist come first served.

Not quite. When I arrived mine was for 17.20; I was about 10-15 minutes early,
for reasons already discussed. And the chap right behind me was for 18.00.
When I booked I was offered slots at five-minute intervals. I think the point
is that while people *try* to arrive on time, there will be a spread. By
spreading out the appt times they try to create an even flow of arrivals.

I've just had to queue
I wasn't expecting a jab before March but just before 10am this morning
I received a text asking if I could attend for a jab this morning. After
a couple of text exchanges I had an appointment at 12:30.

I got there with 5 minutes to spare, at a large Freemason hall 5 miles
from my home. 10 minutes queuing outside in the cold, 10 minutes of
queuing inside in a line to take my details and give me my card for next
time. They also took some of my details from my local practice (NHS
number etc.) and copied them to the "National NHS database". Another
queue for 5 minutes standing, followed by another rotational seating
queue and then the jab. Out within 35 minutes but advised to sit in the
car in the car park for 15 minutes. There were two marshals in the car
park.

When I came out no queuing and only a few cars turned up while I was
waiting to drive off. Maybe a lunch break for the staff?

In fairness to the operation it was mentioned that some/all local
vaccination halls are going to be closed tomorrow because of the
expected adverse weather conditions and many people had been contacted
to rearrange their appointments for today. Currently it is 8C and just a
little damp here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
A great many years ago, I was given a 9am appointment for an NHS fracture
clinic. At 9.30, when there just apperaed to be more people arriving and
no-one being seen, I asked at the desk when I would be seen. "HE doesn't
come in until 10am, but HE's a busy person, so we don't like to keep HIM
waiting." By the time HE deigned to put in an appearance there were 15
people (perhaps busy ones) waiting.

Hopefully that attitude has changed.

It has to have changed due to social distancing. For the moment. Waiting
rooms ain't big enough for that now.
But I've no doubt it will go back to as it was before.

--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2021 11:55, charles wrote:
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
[...]

In my mothers recent experience, not for a consultants' appointment for
"aftercare". During Covid some departments are not that busy and when
the consultant requested another X ray it had been completed within 20
minutes.

(Pre Covid) My local hospital does have an appointment system for things
like blood tests and even if they are running late you will be seen in
the order of your unique appointment time. There is a mechanism in place
for "emergency" sampling to delay the queue. I have managed to get the
first appointment of the day and found that I have had to wait 15
minutes before the staff finish the breakfast coffee and have a chat

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
[...]

I got something similar with MaxFac in Canberra hospital.

The buggers start the appointments at 9am but always
have a meeting that lasts at least an hour before they
see anyone. The nurse admitted that when I was clearly
wondering why it was taking so long with just me and
2 other people were in the waiting room with none of
us being seen. Presumably they do it that way for their
convenience.

Hopefully that attitude has changed.

It hasn't here, that was in March last year.

But we havent started doing vaccinations yet, presumably
that will be done better. I didn't get that stupid result with
any of the other appointments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I got the same result with an ultrasound first thing in the morning.
It was obvious that plenty of the staff were showing up for work late,
including the person who did the ultrasound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 04:28:20 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Oh, ****! And this innocent little thread was Rodent-free, so far!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
[...]

Nearly 30 years ago my sister had a couple of warts on her fingers, that
she could not get rid of and had a few appointments to have them frozen
with Nitrogen.

I gave her a lift and waited with her. It was clear that everyone had
the same appointment time. What was worse was that she was the first in
and her notes went in the basket, followed by those of each new arrival
- and they just took them in turn from the basket and so she was seen
last, some 2-1/2 hours later.

Worse was the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital. My father has had to go
there numerous times and my mother a few times. Then my wife needed to
go a dozen times. Every single time was the same - appointments ranging
from 08:45 to 10:15 and each one seen at 12:00 or later. They always ran
hours late, but still booked everyone in early. On one memorable
occasion, we arrived at 08:30 and weren't seen until 15:45 ... clinic
was due to finish at 13:00.

I had to attend Wythenshawe hospital (they'd told me I had cancer and
were going to investigate with a camera down into my lungs and another
in through the chest wall) and to take biopsies to determine grade and
stage - luckily it turned out their diagnosis was wrong! Anyway, I had
to come in on Thursday evening, ready for theatre at 11:00 on Friday.
The only reason for not coming in of Friday morning? If I was not in the
bed on Thursday night, it might get given to someone else and then
they'd have to cancel my theatre spot! What was wrong with a simple
"Reserved" sign?

I've also lost days of pay when I have arranged my week to accommodate
appointments, only for them to cancel them at the last minute - on one
occasion, having taken the day off and booked one of our sons into an
expensive music practical day, so as to be free to take his older
brother for the results of a vital brain scan that we'd been waiting
for, they phoned me 20 minutes before the appointment (we live 5 minutes
from the hospital and hadn't set off), to tell us that the Consultant
was on holiday, his whole clinic was cancelled and they'd forgotten to
phone his patients the week before! Even worse than the time and money
lost, my wife had had to cancel all her own patients to be able to come
to the appointment together!

Over the years I have lost many days of pay due to suddenly cancelled,
changed or late running appointments, but no-one seems to care about the
consequences of it all for patients or their relatives/carers and we are
just expected to put up with it.

The most recent one was just over a year ago, when I took my wife for
injections to her hands and knees, only to find that the doctor who was
giving them wasn't there - the first the staff knew of it was when the
wondered why the waiting room was full and the numbers not going down!
It turned out he'd left as his daughter was ill, but hadn't bothered to
tell anyone!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
A great many years ago, I was given a 9am appointment for an NHS
fracture clinic. At 9.30, when there just apperaed to be more
people arriving and no-one being seen, I asked at the desk when I
would be seen. "HE doesn't come in until 10am, but HE's a busy
person, so we don't like to keep HIM waiting." By the time HE
deigned to put in an appearance there were 15 people (perhaps busy
ones) waiting.

Hopefully that attitude has changed.

[snip tale of woe]

Typical nationalised industry behaviour.

Oddly your government wants to take it back more under state control.
Wonder why that would be?

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Texas Covid Surge ! ! Texas Covid Surge ! ! [email protected] Home Repair 10 June 21st 20 01:05 AM
[OT] Can mail be contaminated with Covid-19? T i m UK diy 2 March 25th 20 08:44 AM
[OT] Can mail be contaminated with Covid-19? Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) UK diy 1 March 24th 20 05:41 PM
testing testing bob Home Repair 6 March 27th 11 06:19 AM
Laws requiring portable appliance testing and electrical installation testing if any? Z UK diy 9 June 14th 04 11:00 AM