Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [Probably OT]-Button batteries

In article ,
R D S wrote:
On 25/01/2021 17:46, HVS wrote:
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery.

Can anyone explain why button cells are used in things that would take a
bigger battery or several?

I'm forever changing the one in our bathroom scales.

Much higher energy density than alkaline. I'm surprised one in scales
doesn't last a long long time - do they light up or something?

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Can anyone explain why button cells are used in things that would take a
bigger battery or several?

I'm forever changing the one in our bathroom scales.

Lithium primary cells are 3V, whereas alkaline are 1.5V. You'd need
something like 2x AAA to provide the same voltage. They would be bulkier
and more expensive to house (need a battery holder with springs and such,
not just a PCB clip).

Lithium manganese cells also have a relatively flat voltage curve, which is
useful for metrology (the cell voltage stays constant until ~80% capacity
has gone, meaning the scales can stay in calibration without much effort).

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
R D S wrote:
On 25/01/2021 17:46, HVS wrote:
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery.

Can anyone explain why button cells are used in things that would take a
bigger battery or several?

I'm forever changing the one in our bathroom scales.

Much higher energy density than alkaline. I'm surprised one in scales
doesn't last a long long time

Mine do.

- do they light up or something?

Mine does and loads the data into the phone using bluetooth so
its easy to keep a full record of weight changes over time too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 09:50:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message

I've only been in a Poundshop once and I wsn't looking for batteries.

They stopped selling replacement harp strings early on, as they were
getting too many complaints about their poor quality.

michael adams