DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   [Probably OT]-Button batteries (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/684491-%5Bprobably-ot%5D-button-batteries.html)

HVS[_3_] January 25th 21 05:46 PM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery. If
you buy a card of them, there'll often be 2 each of 4 sizes.

I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus
to requirements, which seems a waste.

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

--
Cheers, Harvey

charles January 25th 21 06:09 PM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

In article ,
HVS wrote:
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery. If
you buy a card of them, there'll often be 2 each of 4 sizes.

I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus
to requirements, which seems a waste.

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

If it's too thick, you wont be able to close thelid, if it's too thing it
probably won't make an electrical connection.

I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

John Rumm January 25th 21 06:47 PM

On 25/01/2021 17:46, HVS wrote:
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery. If
you buy a card of them, there'll often be 2 each of 4 sizes.

I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus
to requirements, which seems a waste.

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

With thinner ones you can sometimes add some packing to make it up to
the normal thickness.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thomas Prufer January 25th 21 06:50 PM

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 17:46:41 GMT, HVS wrote:

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

Nahh.

You can take a too-thin one and shim it with something conductive, avoiding the
side where the shim could cause a short.

I wouldn't use the cheap&cheerful cells from the poundshop blister with twenty
cells on anything where a leaking cell would be more than a minor annoyance,
though. Car key fobs can be very expensive, so that gets a fresh, new,
brand-name cell...

Thomas Prufer

newshound January 25th 21 07:41 PM

On 25/01/2021 18:50, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 17:46:41 GMT, HVS wrote:

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

Nahh.

You can take a too-thin one and shim it with something conductive, avoiding the
side where the shim could cause a short.

I wouldn't use the cheap&cheerful cells from the poundshop blister with twenty
cells on anything where a leaking cell would be more than a minor annoyance,
though. Car key fobs can be very expensive, so that gets a fresh, new,
brand-name cell...

Thomas Prufer

+1. Branded ones in all sizes are readily available from eBay, and not
expensive. I'll just buy a pack of four if I want a single one.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] January 25th 21 07:48 PM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

charles expressed precisely :
I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

Poundland do them.

mm0fmf[_2_] January 25th 21 09:32 PM

wrote:

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

Nahh.

You can take a too-thin one and shim it with something conductive,
avoiding the
side where the shim could cause a short.

I wouldn't use the cheap&cheerful cells from the poundshop blister
with twenty
cells on anything where a leaking cell would be more than a minor
annoyance,
though. Car key fobs can be very expensive, so that gets a fresh, new,
brand-name cell...

Thomas Prufer

+1. Branded ones in all sizes are readily available from eBay, and not
expensive. I'll just buy a pack of four if I want a single one.

And with care genuine branded ones are available from eBay as well!

robert January 25th 21 10:34 PM

wrote:

[...]

I always buy Renata ones from eBay, used to be in boxes of 10 now on
"cards". 90% of the time its a 377 in a watch.

Max Demian January 25th 21 10:39 PM

On 25/01/2021 19:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles expressed precisely :
I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

Poundland do them.

I've never seen the point in those mixed packs of button cells, though
I've bought one of coin cells: CR2016/25/32 - a reasonable selection.

It's still better to buy the ones you want, though singly or in pairs
from ordinary shops is very expensive.

I buy Duracell LR44 button cells through Amazon - £5 or so for 10.

--
Max Demian

Fredxx[_4_] January 25th 21 11:07 PM

On 25/01/2021 22:39, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/01/2021 19:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles expressed precisely :
I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

Poundland do them.

I've never seen the point in those mixed packs of button cells, though
I've bought one of coin cells: CR2016/25/32 - a reasonable selection.

It's still better to buy the ones you want, though singly or in pairs
from ordinary shops is very expensive.

I buy Duracell LR44 button cells through Amazon - £5 or so for 10.

When you buy 12 button cells for £1 it makes your Duracell look expensive.

YMMV

Rod Speed January 25th 21 11:19 PM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

Max Demian wrote
Harry Bloomfield wrote
charles wrote

I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

Poundland do them.

I've never seen the point in those mixed packs of button cells,

I have found mine quite useful for the more
obscure stuff like digital vernier callipers etc.

though I've bought one of coin cells: CR2016/25/32 - a reasonable
selection.

It's still better to buy the ones you want,

Nope, not with the obscure stuff.

though singly or in pairs from ordinary shops is very expensive.

That's why the big cards are much better
value even if you never use most of them.

I buy Duracell LR44 button cells through Amazon - £5 or so for 10.

I do buy them like that for the kitchen and bathroom digital scales.
My previous kitchen scales was very fussy about its batterys, I just
ditched it, the replacement is vastly better and is much better to use too.

Rod Speed January 26th 21 12:56 AM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
HVS wrote:
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery. If
you buy a card of them, there'll often be 2 each of 4 sizes.

I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus
to requirements, which seems a waste.

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

If it's too thick, you wont be able to close thelid, if it's too thing it
probably won't make an electrical connection.

I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

There are plenty of examples of a big card with lots of mixed sizes.

Scion[_2_] January 26th 21 08:26 AM

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 23:07:22 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/01/2021 22:39, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/01/2021 19:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles expressed precisely :
I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

Poundland do them.

I've never seen the point in those mixed packs of button cells, though
I've bought one of coin cells: CR2016/25/32 - a reasonable selection.

It's still better to buy the ones you want, though singly or in pairs
from ordinary shops is very expensive.

I buy Duracell LR44 button cells through Amazon - £5 or so for 10.

When you buy 12 button cells for £1 it makes your Duracell look
expensive.

And when you replace the one in your car fob every eight weeks when the
branded one lasted years, buying 12 for £1 looks like somewhat less of a
bargain.

polygonum_on_google[_2_] January 26th 21 08:58 AM

On Monday, 25 January 2021 at 17:46:48 UTC, HVS wrote:
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery. If
you buy a card of them, there'll often be 2 each of 4 sizes.

I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus
to requirements, which seems a waste.

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

We have a timer which uses a tiny cell (not to hand and cannot remember exactly which size). The original cell didn't last very long, nor did replacements. A few weeks each. I happened to have some next-size-up cells and found they would just fit. (The lid of the receptacle is awkward to turn with the thicker cells.) But they last many times longer - months.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) January 26th 21 08:59 AM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

That depends on the profile and the spring inside. Some,like tie clip mikes
can have a big spring, while other low profile things like clocks tend to
not have, and the edges are often used as the contact.
You can buy all of the correct type though on a card with a kind of
rotating dispenser for quite reasonable prices.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) January 26th 21 09:01 AM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

I'd never buy any battery from them. Most are rubbish in my experience. I
buy from boots in the main and have found the life to be much greater, plus
you can get them in larger amounts and they will keep.

Martin Brown[_3_] January 26th 21 09:08 AM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

On 25/01/2021 18:09, charles wrote:
In article ,
HVS wrote:
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery. If
you buy a card of them, there'll often be 2 each of 4 sizes.

I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus
to requirements, which seems a waste.

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

If it's too thick, you wont be able to close thelid, if it's too thing it
probably won't make an electrical connection.

I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

You are kidding right? Every Poundshop has them!
(other brands available). Finding a friend who wants some other size and
doing a swap might work but so many watches use the same size cell :(

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Peeler[_4_] January 26th 21 09:32 AM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:

charles January 26th 21 09:38 AM

HVS wrote:
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery. If
you buy a card of them, there'll often be 2 each of 4 sizes.

I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus
to requirements, which seems a waste.

The difference in thickness is sometimes minor, so is there any
particular/dangerous reason why I can't use one of the others (assuming
it fits in the battery compartment without forcing anything)?

If it's too thick, you wont be able to close thelid, if it's too thing
it probably won't make an electrical connection.

I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

You are kidding right? Every Poundshop has them!

I've only been in a Poundshop once and I wsn't looking for batteries.

(other brands available). Finding a friend who wants some other size and
doing a swap might work but so many watches use the same size cell :(

My watch hasn't had a replacemnt battery since I was given it, 15 years ago.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] January 26th 21 11:05 AM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

Max Demian expressed precisely :
I've never seen the point in those mixed packs of button cells, though I've
bought one of coin cells: CR2016/25/32 - a reasonable selection.

I keep a £1 pack of both the small ones and the larger ones, in the
drawer. They are not quite as good as the expensive ones, but they
work.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] January 26th 21 11:07 AM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

It happens that Scion formulated :
And when you replace the one in your car fob every eight weeks when the
branded one lasted years, buying 12 for £1 looks like somewhat less of a
bargain.

The £1 CR2016's have lasted years.

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] January 26th 21 11:10 AM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated on Tuesday :
I'd never buy any battery from them. Most are rubbish in my experience. I buy
from boots in the main and have found the life to be much greater, plus you
can get them in larger amounts and they will keep.

The black and red Kodak multiple AA and AAA carbon cells are absolute
rubbish. I find the orange/black alkaline version sold by Home Bargains
work well for most things.

Dave Plowman (News) January 26th 21 11:16 AM

HVS wrote:
I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus
to requirements, which seems a waste.

They do seem to have a pretty good shelf life so will get used eventually?

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Scion[_2_] January 26th 21 11:25 AM

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 11:07:04 +0000, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

It happens that Scion formulated :
And when you replace the one in your car fob every eight weeks when the
branded one lasted years, buying 12 for £1 looks like somewhat less of
a bargain.

The £1 CR2016's have lasted years.

You got a good batch, evidently.

The ones I bought really were lousy. I guess the pound shop ones will be
from various suppliers over time and the QC isn't going to be there to any
great degree whereas buying branded is more of a guarantee of quality,
provided that the brand is a 'known good' one and you don't manage to buy
fakes.

Max Demian January 26th 21 11:50 AM

On 26/01/2021 11:10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated on Tuesday :
I'd never buy any battery from them. Most are rubbish in my
experience. I buy from boots in the main and have found the life to be
much greater, plus you can get them in larger amounts and they will keep.

The black and red Kodak multiple AA and AAA carbon cells are absolute
rubbish. I find the orange/black alkaline version sold by Home Bargains
work well for most things.

Pound shop batteries are very variable. A few years ago Hyundai AAs went
through a time when they kept leaking. Recently I bought a pack of six
Powercell AAs and two of them leaked while they were still in the pack.
I've gone back to Kodak.

--
Max Demian

Max Demian January 26th 21 11:59 AM

On 25/01/2021 23:07, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/01/2021 22:39, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/01/2021 19:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles expressed precisely :
I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

Poundland do them.

I've never seen the point in those mixed packs of button cells, though
I've bought one of coin cells: CR2016/25/32 - a reasonable selection.

It's still better to buy the ones you want, though singly or in pairs
from ordinary shops is very expensive.

I buy Duracell LR44 button cells through Amazon - £5 or so for 10.

When you buy 12 button cells for £1 it makes your Duracell look expensive.

Not if 10 are ones you never use.

--
Max Demian

Peter Able[_2_] January 26th 21 04:51 PM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

On 25/01/2021 22:39, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/01/2021 19:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles expressed precisely :
I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

Poundland do them.

I've never seen the point in those mixed packs of button cells, though
I've bought one of coin cells: CR2016/25/32 - a reasonable selection.

Kosher coin cells come free with a bank's security device.

I've got a lifetimes worth, several times over ;)

PA

Rod Speed January 26th 21 04:53 PM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I'd never buy any battery from them. Most are rubbish in my experience.

They work fine in my digital vernier callipers
and one other device I forget for the moment.

I buy from boots in the main and have found the life to be much greater,
plus you can get them in larger amounts and they will keep.

Yeah, I did find that the kitchen scales that
is very fussy about its batterys got a much
better result with proper branded batterys
from ebay, but I have given up on the ****er,
it eventually wouldn’t even work with those.
complained that the new batterys were bad.

The replacement kitchen scales is much better
to use anyway, doesn’t time out so quickly so
I can open a new bag of bread mix without it
timing out and it isnt fussy about batterys and
has a very elegant multi level taring system too.

Rod Speed January 26th 21 05:24 PM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
HVS wrote:
I invariably only want one size, and the others are completely surplus
to requirements, which seems a waste.

They do seem to have a pretty good shelf life

Yes, just replaced the battery in my digital vernier
callipers from a card I have had for years now.

so will get used eventually?

Nope, mine has so many different battery
types that some will never get used.

Theo[_3_] January 26th 21 05:24 PM

Scion wrote:
The ones I bought really were lousy. I guess the pound shop ones will be
from various suppliers over time and the QC isn't going to be there to any
great degree whereas buying branded is more of a guarantee of quality,
provided that the brand is a 'known good' one and you don't manage to buy
fakes.

I haven't had them long enough to benchmark, but good value:
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/plattbo...tery-80291156/

Probably only worthwhile if shopping there anyway. I restocked with:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-CR20...b/283867769178

(Maxell are an actual battery manufacturer, rather than a brand
slapped on things like Kodak, Polaroid, etc)

Theo

Peeler[_4_] January 26th 21 06:07 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:53 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 03:53:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

03:53??? LOL Is it trolling time for you already, you sick senile asshole?

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Peeler[_4_] January 26th 21 06:07 PM

Lonely Sleepless Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 04:24:30 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Fredxx[_4_] January 26th 21 07:43 PM

On 26/01/2021 08:26, Scion wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 23:07:22 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/01/2021 22:39, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/01/2021 19:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles expressed precisely :
I've never seemn batteries sold as mixed sizes,

Poundland do them.

I've never seen the point in those mixed packs of button cells, though
I've bought one of coin cells: CR2016/25/32 - a reasonable selection.

It's still better to buy the ones you want, though singly or in pairs
from ordinary shops is very expensive.

I buy Duracell LR44 button cells through Amazon - £5 or so for 10.

When you buy 12 button cells for £1 it makes your Duracell look
expensive.

And when you replace the one in your car fob every eight weeks when the
branded one lasted years, buying 12 for £1 looks like somewhat less of a
bargain.

That is the expected rhetoric from someone who buys high cost batteries
and isn't my experience.

There have been a number of tests with cheap (Poundland) batteries vs
expensive and the expensive ones can be shown to perform less well than
far cheaper alternatives. I accept I haven't looked for any regarding
button cells.

The only saving grace is that you might reasonably expect expensive
branded batteries to last as long as the rest of them. In essence you're
paying a high price for confidence.

Fredxx[_4_] January 26th 21 08:29 PM

On 26/01/2021 09:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I'd never buy any battery from them. Most are rubbish in my experience.

That's not my experience and there is much evidence to counter your claim:
http://www.redferret.net/?p=42679

Where Panasonic batteries, sometimes available from Poundland, have 10%
more capacity than Duracell and many times the value for money.

buy from boots in the main and have found the life to be much greater, plus
you can get them in larger amounts and they will keep.

Not all battery technologies keep their capacity over time, alkaline
certainly do.

Scion[_2_] January 26th 21 09:03 PM

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 19:43:24 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

[...]

It is my direct experience when I bought a card of coin cells from a pound
shop.

I'll be generous and say perhaps it was a bad batch. I didn't repeat the
experiment.

There have been a number of tests with cheap (Poundland) batteries vs
expensive and the expensive ones can be shown to perform less well than
far cheaper alternatives. I accept I haven't looked for any regarding
button cells.

Links here would be appreciated.

Fredxx[_4_] January 26th 21 11:04 PM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

On 26/01/2021 11:10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated on Tuesday :
I'd never buy any battery from them. Most are rubbish in my
experience. I buy from boots in the main and have found the life to be
much greater, plus you can get them in larger amounts and they will keep.

The black and red Kodak multiple AA and AAA carbon cells are absolute
rubbish.

I no longer use dry cells with few exceptions. Alkaline batteries give
excellent performance in comparison. Possibly the only exception where I
something will be left on accidentally.

I find the orange/black alkaline version sold by Home Bargains
work well for most things.

Agreed. I thought Poundland might be cheaper.

newshound January 27th 21 01:59 PM

wrote:

[...]

That's a good point, I've often wondered myself whether fakes were easy
to spot these days. Any tips?

R D S[_2_] January 27th 21 02:09 PM

On 25/01/2021 17:46, HVS wrote:
There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same diameter
and voltage, and which differ only in the thickness of the battery.

Can anyone explain why button cells are used in things that would take a
bigger battery or several?

I'm forever changing the one in our bathroom scales.

Dave Plowman (News) January 27th 21 02:29 PM

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa) formulated on Tuesday :
I'd never buy any battery from them. Most are rubbish in my experience. I buy
from boots in the main and have found the life to be much greater, plus you
can get them in larger amounts and they will keep.

The black and red Kodak multiple AA and AAA carbon cells are absolute
rubbish.

Carbon cells are only really used for very low drain stuff like possibly a
clock, where a longer shelf life is useful due to the tiny currents
involved. Very few could be bothered buying them specially.

I find the orange/black alkaline version sold by Home Bargains
work well for most things.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

HVS[_3_] January 27th 21 03:21 PM

[Probably OT]-Button batteries

On 25 Jan 2021, I wrote

There are a lot of button batteries out there with the same
diameter and voltage...

... so is there any particular/dangerous reason why I can't use
one of the others (assuming it fits in the battery compartment
without forcing anything)?

Thanks to all for your responses; very helpful discussion.

--
Cheers,
Harvey