Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thinners for Tipp-ex

In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner. I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-Ex (as apart from some water
based stuff)
The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a thinner?
..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone, cellulose
thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany.
It is Art No. 4002523 09
UPC 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush' ..... so
unsure if the product is with or without Tricho
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner. I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-Ex (as apart from some water
based stuff)
The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a thinner?
..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone, cellulose
thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany.
It is Art No. 4002523 09
UPC 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush' ..... so
unsure if the product is with or without Tricho

According to the MSDS at
http://www.staples.co.uk/Content/Static/pdf/2017/10/297781020.pdf it
contains:
Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light - 30 - 40%
Naphtha (petroleum), light alkylate - 10%
2-methoxy-1-methylethyl acetate - 10%

Seems to me you could try a few drops of petrol to thin it, unless
anybody here is certain it wouldn't work.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rick" wrote in message
In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner. I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-Ex (as apart from some water based
stuff)
The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a thinner?
..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone, cellulose
thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany.
It is Art No. 4002523 09
UPC 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush' ..... so unsure
if the product is with or without Tricho

Its not a great idea to use tippex on your word documents.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:

"rick" wrote in message
In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner. I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-Ex (as apart from some water
based stuff) The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still
solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a
thinner? ..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone,
cellulose thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany. It is Art No.
4002523 09 UPC 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush. The containers I have still have the
original 'brush' ..... so unsure if the product is with or
without Tricho

Its not a great idea to use tippex on your word documents.

It makes a mess of the monitor

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 18:32, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner.Â*Â* I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-ExÂ*Â*Â* (as apart from some water
based stuff)
The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a thinner?
Â*Â* ..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone, cellulose
thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany.
It is Art No. 4002523 09
UPCÂ* 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush'Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ..... so
unsure if the product is with or without Tricho

According to the MSDS at
http://www.staples.co.uk/Content/Static/pdf/2017/10/297781020.pdf it
contains:
Naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated light - 30 - 40%
Naphtha (petroleum), light alkylate - 10%
2-methoxy-1-methylethyl acetate - 10%

Seems to me you could try a few drops of petrol to thin it, unless
anybody here is certain it wouldn't work.

Or white spirit.

One thing you can be sure of is that if they are labelled highly
flammable, they won't be trichloroethane!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
[...]

Way back in the 1960s, one of my schoolmates bought some carbon tet
from the local pharmacist (they used to stock such things in those
days but I can't remember what his pretext was). It came in a brown,
ribbed "poison" bottle with a "flammable" sticker. Those were the days
- a whole pound of unadulterated sodium chlorate from the ironmonger
for a few pence. What fun we had!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner.Â*Â* I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-ExÂ*Â*Â* (as apart from some water
based stuff)
The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent
based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a
thinner?
Â*Â* ..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone,
Â*Â* cellulose
[...]

As apprentices we used to rinse our hands in CTC or TCE and then some
years later we had to use Genclene (de-natured TCE). It was recommended to
apply Lanolin to the hands after.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
[...]

I think you've got it confused with something else. Carbon tetrachloride
was widely available up to the 70s as a "dry" cleaner spot/stain remover
under the trade name "Thawpit"
(https://www.pinterest.com/pin/332351647481289580/). It was pretty
much pure carbon tet. However, carbon tet isn't inflammable; in fact, it
could be found in many of those hand-held pump-type fire extinguishers
which were often carried on buses and other vehicles (Pyrene -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carbon_tetrachloride_1930s_fire_extinguisher. jpg).

Yes, it was a sad day when they added a fire depressant to sodium chlorate!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Way back in the 1960s, one of my schoolmates bought some carbon tet
from the local pharmacist (they used to stock such things in those
days but I can't remember what his pretext was). It came in a brown,
ribbed "poison" bottle with a "flammable" sticker. Those were the days
- a whole pound of unadulterated sodium chlorate from the ironmonger
for a few pence. What fun we had!

I remember pouring carbon tet on a bonfire and admiring the dense white
smoke that clung to the ground and flowed like a river.
Later found out that was phosgene gas!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
[...]

Petrol is not Naptha, but lighter fuel is.

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush'Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ..... so
unsure if the product is with or without Tricho

WD40?

(not responsible for dizziness, headaches, burning, boris johnson,
itchyness, insomnia, lethargy, runny nose, two heads, upset tummy.....)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2021 08:39, Jeff Layman wrote:

I think you've got it confused with something else. Carbon tetrachloride
was widely available up to the 70s as a "dry" cleaner spot/stain remover
under the trade name "Thawpit"
(https://www.pinterest.com/pin/332351647481289580/). It was pretty
much pure carbon tet. However, carbon tet isn't inflammable; in fact, it
could be found in many of those hand-held pump-type fire extinguishers
which were often carried on buses and other vehicles (Pyrene -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carbon_tetrachloride_1930s_fire_extinguisher. jpg).

Also "Dabitoff" at least into the 60's.

We certainly had free access to CCL4 in the A-level chemistry labs in
mid 60's.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2021 09:31, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon,
and also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush'Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ..... so
unsure if the product is with or without Tricho

WD40?

(not responsible for dizziness, headaches, burning, boris johnson,
itchyness, insomnia, lethargy, runny nose, two heads, upset tummy.....)

The only problem with that is that the small percentage of non-volatile
mineral oil may leave something like a "grease ring" on the paper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
[...]

used for "dry" cleaning, Getting oily stains our of clothing. Sold as
"Thawpit".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Jan 2021 at 17:59:31 GMT, "rick"
wrote:

In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner. I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-Ex (as apart from some water
based stuff)
The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a thinner?
..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone, cellulose
thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany.
It is Art No. 4002523 09
UPC 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush' ..... so
unsure if the product is with or without Tricho

Toluene could work.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner. I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-Ex (as apart from some water
based stuff)
The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a thinner?
..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone, cellulose
thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany.
It is Art No. 4002523 09
UPC 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush' ..... so
unsure if the product is with or without Tricho

Toluene could work.

The tri-nitro kind would work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021 10:23:58 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 03/01/2021 08:39, Jeff Layman wrote:

I think you've got it confused with something else. Carbon tetrachloride
was widely available up to the 70s as a "dry" cleaner spot/stain remover
under the trade name "Thawpit"
(https://www.pinterest.com/pin/332351647481289580/). It was pretty
much pure carbon tet. However, carbon tet isn't inflammable; in fact, it
could be found in many of those hand-held pump-type fire extinguishers
which were often carried on buses and other vehicles (Pyrene -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carbon_tetrachloride_1930s_fire_extinguisher. jpg).

Also "Dabitoff" at least into the 60's.

We certainly had free access to CCL4 in the A-level chemistry labs in
mid 60's.

I still have half a packet of EmGee type cleaners[1] from the early
seventies. A plastic tube with a wick at one end, they each contain a
delicate glass phial which when crushed releases the Carbon Tet[2] and
the wick is used to rub the gunge out of the type.

Nick
[1]I still have the typewriter they were bought to clean
[2]It doesn't actually say Carbon Tet but I'm pretty sure it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes

used for "dry" cleaning, Getting oily stains our of clothing. Sold as
"Thawpit".

Thawpit was great stuff, perfect for cleaning Hornby Dublo track :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Would probably make it a nasty yellow colour rather than white, though.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2021 11:45, Roger Hayter wrote:

Toluene could work.

Not got any of that ... I have

Cellulose thinners
Acetone
Meths
Lighter Fluid
Paraffin
Petrol
Trichloroethane 1:1:1
ISO-Propyl

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2021 14:30, rick wrote:
On 03/01/2021 11:45, Roger Hayter wrote:

Toluene could work.

Not got any of that ... I have

Cellulose thinners
Acetone
Meths
Lighter Fluid
Paraffin
Petrol
Trichloroethane 1:1:1
ISO-Propyl

error - its Lighter Gas I have not the fluid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
[...]

No, it was definitely carbon tet. That's why the mis-labelling was so
amusing.

Carbon tetrachloride
was widely available up to the 70s as a "dry" cleaner spot/stain remover
under the trade name "Thawpit"

He probably wasn't aware of that. I certainly wasn't.

(https://www.pinterest.com/pin/332351647481289580/). It was pretty
much pure carbon tet. However, carbon tet isn't inflammable; in fact, it
could be found in many of those hand-held pump-type fire extinguishers
which were often carried on buses and other vehicles (Pyrene -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carbon_tetrachloride_1930s_fire_extinguisher. jpg).

I'm pretty sure there was one just like that in my dad's old Rover
3500 when he bought it. I can remember it lying about the garage after
he had removed it (along with the LPG conversion).

Yes, it was a sad day when they added a fire depressant to sodium chlorate!

At least you could still use it as a weed killer. It was an even
sadder day when they banned it altogether. I wonder if we'll get it
back now that we've left the EU?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2021 17:59, rick wrote:
In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner.Â*Â* I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-ExÂ*Â*Â* (as apart from some water
based stuff)
The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a thinner?
Â*..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone, cellulose
thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany.
It is Art No. 4002523 09
UPCÂ* 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush'Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ..... so
unsure if the product is with or without Tricho

Nice chat on explosives ..... anybody any further suggestion on Thinner
to use.