Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Thinners for Tipp-ex

On 3 Jan 2021 at 12:52:41 GMT, "Andy Bennet" wrote:

On 03/01/2021 11:45, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 2 Jan 2021 at 17:59:31 GMT, "rick"
wrote:

In years gone by, it used to be 1:1:1 Trichloroethane as the ideal
thinner. I know that was outlawed.

Have several bottles of genuine Tipp-Ex (as apart from some water
based stuff)
The Warning triangle states Highly Flammable - so still solvent based.

Any of the Chemical chappies on here know what I could use as a thinner?
..... I have some of the more common ones - meths, acetone, cellulose
thinners, Trichloroethane , ISO-propyl alcohol.

Bar code tells me it is Tipp-Ex Rapid made in Germany.
It is Art No. 4002523 09
UPC 0 7033051106 4

Wikipedia says that has now been replaced by Aliphatic Hydrocarbon, and
also now uses a foam brush.
The containers I have still have the original 'brush' ..... so
unsure if the product is with or without Tricho

Toluene could work.

The tri-nitro kind would work.

Would probably make it a nasty yellow colour rather than white, though.

--
Roger Hayter