Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Bennet Andy Bennet is offline

Default Thinners for Tipp-ex

On 02/01/2021 22:11, Custos Custodum wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 20:55:02 +0000, newshound
wrote:

Way back in the 1960s, one of my schoolmates bought some carbon tet
from the local pharmacist (they used to stock such things in those
days but I can't remember what his pretext was). It came in a brown,
ribbed "poison" bottle with a "flammable" sticker. Those were the days
- a whole pound of unadulterated sodium chlorate from the ironmonger
for a few pence. What fun we had!

I remember pouring carbon tet on a bonfire and admiring the dense white
smoke that clung to the ground and flowed like a river.
Later found out that was phosgene gas!