Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hammerite thinners

On Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 4:23:47 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
I thought I would spray some old rusty metal cabinets with a coat of
hammerite, and so popped out to get a can of thinners. When I saw the
price (about �6.50 for a 250ml tin) I would have fallen off my chair had
I have been sat down!
Anyway, one walletectomy later and the jobs a good-un. However, an
inadvertent snort of the thinners suggests they have a fair bit in
common with ordinary cellulose thinners, and a quick look at the safety
data sheets for some of them suggests they certainly share a number of
common ingredients.
Has anyone ignored the dire hammerite warnings, and successfully used
other thinners?

--
Cheers,
John.

Yes I tried standard thinners but it took the gloss out and the paint did not flow to form a smooth surface just looked like sand paper but did dry ok so rubbed down and tried again with the hammerite thinners and that went fine. Standard thinners do clean the gun and any brushes fine if you finish off with soapy water and a good rinse under a running tap of hot water
Posted to uk.d-i-y

2009
??
Is somebody in a time warp around here?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Yes I tried standard thinners but it took the gloss out and the paint did
not flow to form a smooth surface just looked like sand paper but did dry ok
so rubbed down and tried again with the hammerite thinners and that went
fine. Standard thinners do clean the gun and any brushes fine if you finish
off with soapy water and a good rinse under a running tap of hot water

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2020 08:25, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

2009
??
Is somebody in a time warp around here?
Brian

I can't remember when Hammerite reformulated the product and switched
solvent - so it may be out of date anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 08:39:40 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 05/10/2020 08:25, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

2009
??
Is somebody in a time warp around here?
Brian

I can't remember when Hammerite reformulated the product and switched
solvent - so it may be out of date anyway.

As an aside, I remember the radiator enamel where they instructed you
to put the heating on at maximum temperature. The 'aroma' was
unbelievable. I assume this is banned now.

Cellulose thinners? paulfoel UK diy 21 July 30th 07 01:45 PM
Hammerite Frank Erskine UK diy 2 June 1st 05 03:20 PM
Hammerite Howard UK diy 11 February 21st 05 10:35 AM
Hammerite -vs- Ronseal No Rust? Andrew J Instone-Cowie UK diy 0 September 19th 04 07:16 PM
Hammerite paint stripper Jonathan Ward UK diy 4 September 18th 03 01:12 PM