Howard

Default Hammerite

I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics
regarding radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white)
on a bathroom rad?

--
Howard
Howard

Howard wrote:
I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics regarding
radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white) on a
bathroom rad?

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this simple request for
information.

--
Howard
:::Jerry::::

"Howard" wrote in message
. uk...
Howard wrote:
I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics regarding
radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white) on a
bathroom rad?

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this simple request for
information.

No answer often means no one knows....

How about emailing the paint manufacture tech' support dept. ?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Howard wrote:
I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics regarding
radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white) on a
bathroom rad?

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this simple request for
information.

I've never needed to re-paint a white rad, and for others where I've
wanted them the same colour as the room have just used the same paint as
for the woodwork. Of course you're presumably worried about the white
paint yellowing with the heat?

If the rad needs re-painting because it is rusty, I'd say that rust will
come through again regardless of the paint used and before it has time to
discolour significantly.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Chesters

Howard wrote:
I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics regarding
radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white) on a
bathroom rad?

Never tried Hammerite itself.

There are special radiator paints out there. I've tried two, a brush-on
type that was truly foul to use and it gassed horribly, and a spray made
by "Plasti-kote". Whilst this is not particularly nice to use, it a) is
less offensive, and b) covers pretty well. Dries in an hour.

Howard

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Howard wrote:

I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics regarding
radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white) on a
bathroom rad?

discolour significantly.

I thank you.

--
Howard
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Howard wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Howard wrote:

I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics regarding
radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white) on a
bathroom rad?

discolour significantly.

I thank you.

Strange snipping. ;-)

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tim S

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:27:45 +0000, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

"Howard" wrote in message
. uk...
Howard wrote:
I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics regarding
radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white) on a
bathroom rad?

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this simple request for
information.

No answer often means no one knows....

How about emailing the paint manufacture tech' support dept. ?

I've used spray hammerite on hot surfaces to good effect. Degrease and
sand surface with emery to get a good key. I would recommend hammerite
primer first. Then spray several thin coats of the finish. Hammerite likes
being baked on, but it *will* stink for some time (days/weeks) after you
run the rad up. The smell eventually subsides completely.

But wouldn't the OP be better with proper radiator enamel?

HTH

Tim
Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:53:37 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've never needed to re-paint a white rad,

They look white but compared to real white they are pretty thin on the
paint side and the metal shows through...

and for others where I've wanted them the same colour as the room
have just used the same paint as for the woodwork.

Aye, and I find the oil based and slow drying "one coat" stuff pretty
damn good. Yes, it's oil based so a bit niffy (but nothing like
hammerite) and as it dries so slowly (16hrs...) and has a fairly high
surface tension produces an excellent finish. Whack in on moderately
thickly (to thick and it'll run) roughly brush out and *leave it
alone* the brush marks *will* disappear in 30 mins to an hour.

ISTR that if you pick the right one it is suiable for rads or maybe
they don't mention it where as most other paints do. (I could just be
ignoring any disclaimer though!).

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

doozer

I would certainly recommend the plasti-kote sprays. I recently did a
radiator in copper using them and it worked brilliantly. As others have
said it does smell for a while (about a week) and while it still smells
I found you can't hang things on the radiator to dry or it will damage
the finish (I accidentally lent on it about 2 days after I sprayed it).

At the time I wondered about looking for a high temp lacquer or
something that I could spray over the top to give it a harder finish but
it seems to have toughened up now so I didn't never got round to it.

Graham

Andrew Chesters wrote:
Howard wrote:

I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics regarding
radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white) on a
bathroom rad?

Never tried Hammerite itself.

There are special radiator paints out there. I've tried two, a brush-on
type that was truly foul to use and it gassed horribly, and a spray made
by "Plasti-kote". Whilst this is not particularly nice to use, it a) is
less offensive, and b) covers pretty well. Dries in an hour.

Peter Hawkins

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 13:36:16 GMT, Howard
wrote:

I googled a bit for this subject, but can't find specifics
regarding radiators,

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white)
on a bathroom rad?

Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Sister in law is nurse
in intensive care. She cared for a fella who died after doing a
bathroom radiator in Hamerite with the door and window closed. He
tried baking it with the heating on. The massive release of fumes did
for him.

Christian McArdle

Is it recommended or not, to use spray on Hammerite (gloss white)
on a bathroom rad?

I wouldn't spray solvent based paints unless I had professional equipment
and facilities. Brushing works fine, particularly if you work quickly, keep
the edges fresh and paint the radiator flat on the ground, which prevents
gravity assisted runs and encourages self levelling.

Christian.