Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hand cranked Rawdrill

Here's one I have never heard of before, a hand cranked Rawplug drill.
It uses the old manual hammer Rawlbits, bit in a hand cranked hammer
drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyZgOkWs4o
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How can that work, though many moons ago a tomorrows world item featured a
spun up flywheel powered dril which i thought at the time a completely
pointless invention.
Brian

--

-----
is the alter ego of
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Here's one I have never heard of before, a hand cranked Rawplug drill. It
uses the old manual hammer Rawlbits, bit in a hand cranked hammer drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyZgOkWs4o

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2020 11:03, Brian G wrote:
How can that work, though many moons ago a tomorrows world item featured a
spun up flywheel powered dril which i thought at the time a completely
pointless invention.
Brian

The last minute of the video shows it working, rotating the drill bit
slowly by use of a hand crank . The video is the restoration of a rusty
item back to new involving fully stripping the unit down to the smallest
component part and either refurbishment or replacement of parts.

Internally there is a large lump of steel acting as a hammer. A hand
crank rotates this hammer via some gears.

There is also a cam like mechanism that moves the hammer forward a
little via spring loaded lever arrangement, also operated by a hand
crank. The mechanism forces the hammer forward a few times per one
revolution of the hammer. The hammer is seemingly moved back again by a
combination of the large spring on the lever and the operator pressing
the drill into the wall.

Possibly operation is hard work - at the back is a brace so that you can
push the drill into the wall with your shoulder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 11:03:51 -0000, Brian G wrote:

How can that work,

Hand crank drives a rachet type mechanisum. As the crank is turned
the pawl compresses BFO spring. When the pawl drops off the rachet a
system of levers accelerates a large lump of metal that hits the end
of the drill bit. Another pawl and rachet from the hand crank rotates
the bit 1/4 turn for each blow of the "hammer".

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Here's one I have never heard of before, a hand cranked Rawplug

drill.
It uses the old manual hammer Rawlbits, bit in a hand cranked

hammer
drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyZgOkWs4o

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian G formulated on Sunday :
How can that work, though many moons ago a tomorrows world item featured a
spun up flywheel powered dril which i thought at the time a completely
pointless invention.

They cannot have been that effective, because I never came across one.
I began in industry, when Rawdrill bits, holders, stardrills and a lump
hammer was the only way to drill a hole for a fixing. All on the verge
of electric hammer drills being introduced, which reduced the feeling
of Popeye arm muscles from all the hammering. They were better, but no
where near as good, quick, or effortless as SDS.

There were lots of other methods developed between hammer drills and
SDS, one being a self drilling anchor, into which a wedge was fitted
one the hole was deep enough, then the Hilti system, firing little
explosive cartridges to force a threaded nail in to create the fixing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 Dec 2020 11:03:51 -0000, Brian G wrote:

How can that work,

Hand crank drives a rachet type mechanisum. As the crank is turned
the pawl compresses BFO spring. When the pawl drops off the rachet a
system of levers accelerates a large lump of metal that hits the end
of the drill bit. Another pawl and rachet from the hand crank rotates
the bit 1/4 turn for each blow of the "hammer".

Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Here's one I have never heard of before, a hand cranked Rawplug

drill.
It uses the old manual hammer Rawlbits, bit in a hand cranked

hammer
drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyZgOkWs4o

Really doesn't sound like less effort than using a RawlDrill by hand.
Until SDS arrived it was pretty well the only DIY way to drill hard stone.

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-12-20, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
Brian G formulated on Sunday :
How can that work, though many moons ago a tomorrows world item featured a
spun up flywheel powered dril which i thought at the time a completely
pointless invention.

They cannot have been that effective, because I never came across one.
I began in industry, when Rawdrill bits, holders, stardrills and a lump
hammer was the only way to drill a hole for a fixing. All on the verge
of electric hammer drills being introduced, which reduced the feeling
of Popeye arm muscles from all the hammering.

Warm Grit moment - I remember as a spotty yoof using said lump hammer
and rawldrill and holder drilling into the bl**dy engineering bricks
that our council house was made of. Dad thought it was character
building!!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-12-20, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
Brian G formulated on Sunday :
How can that work, though many moons ago a tomorrows world item featured a
spun up flywheel powered dril which i thought at the time a completely
pointless invention.

They cannot have been that effective, because I never came across one.
I began in industry, when Rawdrill bits, holders, stardrills and a lump
hammer was the only way to drill a hole for a fixing. All on the verge
of electric hammer drills being introduced, which reduced the feeling
of Popeye arm muscles from all the hammering.

Warm Grit moment - I remember as a spotty yoof using said lump hammer
and rawldrill and holder drilling into the bl**dy engineering bricks
that our council house was made of. Dad thought it was character
building!!!!

I remember star drills and 'jumpers'. More than once I've made a hole
with a chisel rotating it every hammer blow.

Isn't DIY so easy these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2020-12-20, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
[...]

Reminds me of those Stanley breast drills after a few holes your ribs really felt it. I am not sure that particular machine was shouldered as the back rest was horizontal rather than vertical as required to fit a shoulder. If it was designed to be pressed by the chest then it would be extremely uncomfortable after a few holes.

It was not too many years back I remember watching a builder using rawldrills to fasten a drainpipe to a wall at a time when battery powered hammer drills were quite common guy must have been a masochist.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2020-12-20, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
Brian G formulated on Sunday :
How can that work, though many moons ago a tomorrows world item featured a
spun up flywheel powered dril which i thought at the time a completely
pointless invention.

They cannot have been that effective, because I never came across one.
I began in industry, when Rawdrill bits, holders, stardrills and a lump
hammer was the only way to drill a hole for a fixing. All on the verge
of electric hammer drills being introduced, which reduced the feeling
of Popeye arm muscles from all the hammering.

Warm Grit moment - I remember as a spotty yoof using said lump hammer
and rawldrill and holder drilling into the bl**dy engineering bricks
that our council house was made of. Dad thought it was character
building!!!!

You want to live in Aberdeen - where most houses were built of granite. ;-)

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
It was not too many years back I remember watching a builder using
rawldrills to fasten a drainpipe to a wall at a time when battery
powered hammer drills were quite common guy must have been a masochist.

Hammer drills are often not much use with hard stone. You need SDS. And
cordless SDS fairly recent.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2020 10:48, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Here's one I have never heard of before, a hand cranked Rawplug drill.
It uses the old manual hammer Rawlbits, bit in a hand cranked hammer drill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyZgOkWs4o

I remember selling those when @ 15 I worked for a hardware/ builders
merchant.

Mike

Latched Cranked Bolt ? Andrew Mawson[_2_] UK diy 13 June 10th 16 10:51 AM
Cranked combination spanners David J UK diy 2 January 3rd 10 05:13 PM
just cranked out a stand for my guitars this weekend mapdude Woodworking Plans and Photos 6 October 30th 07 01:46 AM
cranked shower inlets andyv UK diy 1 May 9th 06 11:23 AM
Craftsman 9-4230 hand-cranked drill questions.... Brooks Moses Woodworking 1 January 11th 06 02:01 PM