Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Latched Cranked Bolt ?

We have a motor home. We also have two dogs. For travelling the dealer made
up a quite nice partition to keep them away from the driving area, it fits
in a slot on one side, and the other side is located by a cranked bolt.
Problem is, in use the cranked bolt works loose with flexing of the
structure and eventually the partition falls out and we have to search for
the next layby !

Before I make one, is there such a thing as a cranked bolt that has positive
location - something like a spring loaded button that needs pressing before
it slides?

For clarification the Cranked Bolt is like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/jl9oq6q

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
We have a motor home. We also have two dogs. For travelling the dealer made
up a quite nice partition to keep them away from the driving area, it fits
in a slot on one side, and the other side is located by a cranked bolt.
Problem is, in use the cranked bolt works loose with flexing of the
structure and eventually the partition falls out and we have to search for
the next layby !

Before I make one, is there such a thing as a cranked bolt that has positive
location - something like a spring loaded button that needs pressing before
it slides?

For clarification the Cranked Bolt is like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/jl9oq6q

Andrew

But how do you get them to sit on your lap when you're travelling then? ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes

For clarification the Cranked Bolt is like this one:

Not a direct answer, but these are also known as necked bolts. May be
worth a further search?
--
Graeme

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
We have a motor home. We also have two dogs. For travelling the dealer
made up a quite nice partition to keep them away from the driving area,
it fits in a slot on one side, and the other side is located by a
cranked bolt. Problem is, in use the cranked bolt works loose with
flexing of the structure and eventually the partition falls out and we
have to search for the next layby !

Before I make one, is there such a thing as a cranked bolt that has
positive location - something like a spring loaded button that needs
pressing before it slides?

For clarification the Cranked Bolt is like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/jl9oq6q

Andrew

Andrew, normally the operating knob for such bolts are threaded into the
sliding bolt itself. Could you extend the thread in both parts and drill
a hole in the body of the bolt so the knob can be screwed in further and
lock it in the extended position.

A second hole could be drilled with the bolt in the fully retracted
position to lock it open when needed to avoid the knob shaking out.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/16 17:51, Andrew Mawson wrote:
We have a motor home. We also have two dogs. For travelling the dealer
made up a quite nice partition to keep them away from the driving area,
it fits in a slot on one side, and the other side is located by a
cranked bolt. Problem is, in use the cranked bolt works loose with
flexing of the structure and eventually the partition falls out and we
have to search for the next layby !

Before I make one, is there such a thing as a cranked bolt that has
positive location - something like a spring loaded button that needs
pressing before it slides?

For clarification the Cranked Bolt is like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/jl9oq6q

Andrew

You might b looking for some kind of window closure, sliding sash
lock,casement child lock or something, but impossible to say really, you
will need to search. Obv there is no such thing as a 'motorhome dog gate
fitting' so you will be improvising and adapting.

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09-Jun-16 5:51 PM, Andrew Mawson wrote:
We have a motor home. We also have two dogs. For travelling the dealer
made up a quite nice partition to keep them away from the driving area,
it fits in a slot on one side, and the other side is located by a
cranked bolt. Problem is, in use the cranked bolt works loose with
flexing of the structure and eventually the partition falls out and we
have to search for the next layby !

Before I make one, is there such a thing as a cranked bolt that has
positive location - something like a spring loaded button that needs
pressing before it slides?

For clarification the Cranked Bolt is like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/jl9oq6q

Can you use an over-centre latch instead?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2016 19:15, Bob Minchin wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea.

Also, if it's like the one in the picture, you could put something in
the slot behind the knob to stop it retracting, maybe as simple as a
magnet, depending on materials.

'Spring loaded cranked bolt' is worth putting into Google images too.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message ...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

They both cheerfully would, but weigh in at 25 kGs each ! (Hungarian
Viszla's)

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message ...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Still not sure why you need a barrier. A motorhome is nothing like a car
and I really don't think a loose dog poses anything like the same threat as
a dog on the back seat of a car.

Ours wander freely (in theory). In practice they conk out on the floor.

Tim
--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message ...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the good suggestions - I particularly like the one by Bob

However I had the answer all the time but didn't think of it - a 'Spring
Bolt' as per this link :

http://www.gsproducts.co.uk/16mm-spring-loaded-bolt/

The spring constantly pushes the bolt outwards and needs compressing to
open. I have them fitted on my stock trailer, which has a similar (but
hinged) partition that is secured with one.

It was Syd Rumpo's mention of springs that reminded me, so thank you all.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

A second 'ordinary' bolt that goes into the back of the cranked one :-)

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/16 21:35, Tim+ wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message ...

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

In practice one used to leap into my lap and put his paws on the
steering wheel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
We have a motor home. We also have two dogs. For travelling the dealer
made up a quite nice partition to keep them away from the driving
area, it fits in a slot on one side, and the other side is located by
a cranked bolt. Problem is, in use the cranked bolt works loose with
flexing of the structure and eventually the partition falls out and we
have to search for the next layby !

Before I make one, is there such a thing as a cranked bolt that has
positive location - something like a spring loaded button that needs
pressing before it slides?

For clarification the Cranked Bolt is like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/jl9oq6q

Andrew

Swap it for a straight bolt. A couple of spacers may be needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Spring loaded bolts are routinely used in horse trailers for the same
reason you are asking.

Cranked combination spanners David J UK diy 2 January 3rd 10 05:13 PM
6x Interlocking latched PCB mounted DPDT push button switches required [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 October 22nd 08 08:27 PM
just cranked out a stand for my guitars this weekend mapdude Woodworking Plans and Photos 6 October 30th 07 01:46 AM
cranked shower inlets andyv UK diy 1 May 9th 06 11:23 AM
Craftsman 9-4230 hand-cranked drill questions.... Brooks Moses Woodworking 1 January 11th 06 02:01 PM