Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] is offline

Default Hand cranked Rawdrill

Brian G formulated on Sunday :
How can that work, though many moons ago a tomorrows world item featured a
spun up flywheel powered dril which i thought at the time a completely
pointless invention.

They cannot have been that effective, because I never came across one.
I began in industry, when Rawdrill bits, holders, stardrills and a lump
hammer was the only way to drill a hole for a fixing. All on the verge
of electric hammer drills being introduced, which reduced the feeling
of Popeye arm muscles from all the hammering. They were better, but no
where near as good, quick, or effortless as SDS.

There were lots of other methods developed between hammer drills and
SDS, one being a self drilling anchor, into which a wedge was fitted
one the hole was deep enough, then the Hilti system, firing little
explosive cartridges to force a threaded nail in to create the fixing.