Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which diamond tipped tile cutter?

I would like to buy a diamond tipped tile cutter to cut some ceramic
wall tiles 600x300x10mm for a bathroom. There several products on the
market for less than £50.

Any recommendations as to which one to get?

They are often described as wet. Do they all keep the blade cool by
having it in water when it is below the table?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2020 00:32, Michael Chare wrote:
Any recommendations as to which one to get?

All they are is a motor, a diamond blade and a water trough. The blade
is all that counts, and can be changed anyway.

They are often described as wet.Â* Do they all keep the blade cool by
having it in water when it is below the table?

Yes. It fills ups with tile sludge after a few hours.
The blade sprays sludge and water everywhere. Even with the guard down.

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
I would like to buy a diamond tipped tile cutter to cut some ceramic
wall tiles 600x300x10mm for a bathroom. There several products on the
market for less than £50.

Any recommendations as to which one to get?

You mean a table saw type one?

They are often described as wet. Do they all keep the blade cool by
having it in water when it is below the table?

Yes - the underside of the blade runs in water.

Make sure the bed is big enough for your tiles. Some of the smaller ones
would be a PITA with 600mm tiles. The reason I bought a bigger one. It's
not a vast amount bigger, but it makes all the difference.

I have a Plastplugs one - or rather two. The original smaller one OK for
small tiles, but the later larger one has an induction motor so quieter in
operation and allows a longer duty cycle. But cost about £100 many years
ago. The bed size on it is approx 600 x 400mm, and for 600mm tiles I'd not
want anything smaller. To be fair, there was nothing like the number of
makes on the market all those years ago, so may well be cheaper today.

The type where the saw moves - rather than the work - are interesting. But
have no experience of them - mainly because they are so large I'd have
storage problems.

-

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Make sure the bed is big enough for your tiles. Some of the smaller ones
would be a PITA with 600mm tiles. The reason I bought a bigger one. It's
not a vast amount bigger, but it makes all the difference.

Yes, I have a smaller one and made a wooden platform that sits along
side it for larger tiles.
Dont rush the cuts for a decent finish. As mentioned they are a bit messy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2020 12:21, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 7 Nov 2020 12:10:54 +0000, ss wrote:

Make sure the bed is big enough for your tiles. Some of the smaller ones
would be a PITA with 600mm tiles. The reason I bought a bigger one. It's
not a vast amount bigger, but it makes all the difference.

Yes, I have a smaller one and made a wooden platform that sits along
side it for larger tiles.
Dont rush the cuts for a decent finish. As mentioned they are a bit messy.

+1
I've cut Dutch Light sized glass sheets (730 x 1422mm) on my little
Plasplugs saw. Just arrange a pattern of bricks on the garage floor to
support the whole area of whatever it is you're cutting, and take it
gently.

I spent an hour cutting a small bit of 1" deep sandstone paving slab,
before giving up rushing into town, hiring a diamond angle grinder, then
doing the rest of the cuts and rushing back - in less than 50 minutes
'What's wrong?' the guy asked "Nothing: Job done!".

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Nov 2020 at 11:04:52 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

I've used one of those, for 300mm, 8mm thick porcelain tiles. It has a water
get aiming at the cutting point, and you can do things like 45degree mitres on
the edges of tiles, as well as accurate vertical cuts of the exact length
required. But I think they would cost 10+ times the OP's budget and they are
a bit big. Also, and this was one of my use cases, you can accurately cut
sheets of loosely fixed mosaic tiles by putting them on a non-slip rubber base
and bringing the wheel down vertically on them. Feeding the sheet onto the
side of a wheel would not work.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2020 00:32, Michael Chare wrote:
Any recommendations as to which one to get?

All they are is a motor, a diamond blade and a water trough. The blade
is all that counts, and can be changed anyway.

They are often described as wet.Â* Do they all keep the blade cool by
having it in water when it is below the table?

Yes. It fills ups with tile sludge after a few hours.
The blade sprays sludge and water everywhere. Even with the guard down.

Thanks for everyones answers any recommendations for blades?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/11/2020 00:32, Michael Chare wrote:
Any recommendations as to which one to get?

All they are is a motor, a diamond blade and a water trough. The blade
is all that counts, and can be changed anyway.

They are often described as wet. Do they all keep the blade cool by
having it in water when it is below the table?

Yes. It fills ups with tile sludge after a few hours.
The blade sprays sludge and water everywhere. Even with the guard down.

Thanks for everyones answers any recommendations for blades?

Since you've quoted Turnip, best not to take too much notice of him. Those
who have used these things for a variety of tiles soon find out they are
not all the same.

I did a very large bathroom top to toe with porcelain tiles. All with just
one wheel. My two Plastplug units use a different size blade - and the
expensive one with the larger blade seems a lot kinder on them. Make sure
you don't run out of water, and let the blade do the work.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *