Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which tile cutter for 460mm marble tiles

I'm about to tile my kitchen with some ebay bought marble tiles. The
tiles are all 460mm square but vary in thickness from about 14 to 22mm.
I intend to lay them in a diamond pattern so am going to have to make
quite a few long diagonal cuts (quick calculation tells me it must be
about 650mm Hmmm - longer than I guessed). I have a standard wet wheel
cutter which is theoretically capable of cutting them but with zero
accuracy as the table bed is about the size of the tile, so there would
be no guide. So the question is. Does anyone have any experience or
suggenstions? What to hire or buy, any experience of the radial
cutters as they would seem to be the most appropriate - if I can find
one big enough. Thanks in advance.
Dude

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sparkydude wrote:
I'm about to tile my kitchen with some ebay bought marble tiles. The
tiles are all 460mm square but vary in thickness from about 14 to 22mm.
I intend to lay them in a diamond pattern so am going to have to make
quite a few long diagonal cuts (quick calculation tells me it must be
about 650mm Hmmm - longer than I guessed). I have a standard wet wheel
cutter which is theoretically capable of cutting them but with zero
accuracy as the table bed is about the size of the tile, so there would
be no guide. So the question is. Does anyone have any experience or
suggenstions? What to hire or buy, any experience of the radial
cutters as they would seem to be the most appropriate - if I can find
one big enough. Thanks in advance.
Dude

You could d-i-y a former and a larger bed for your existing cutter but
when I did my 10mm marble tiles even that was slow going.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
sparkydude wrote:
I'm about to tile my kitchen with some ebay bought marble tiles. The
tiles are all 460mm square but vary in thickness from about 14 to 22mm.
I intend to lay them in a diamond pattern so am going to have to make
quite a few long diagonal cuts (quick calculation tells me it must be
about 650mm Hmmm - longer than I guessed). I have a standard wet wheel
cutter which is theoretically capable of cutting them but with zero
accuracy as the table bed is about the size of the tile, so there would
be no guide. So the question is. Does anyone have any experience or
suggenstions? What to hire or buy, any experience of the radial
cutters as they would seem to be the most appropriate - if I can find
one big enough. Thanks in advance.

I'd be inclined to check with someone like a monumental mason to get them
cut for you.

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.