Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small push-button switch

I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search
terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread;
most I've seen are 10mm and trying to adapt the hole wouldn't be easy in
thin metal. One looks hopeful but, from dimensions given, I suspect that
it's also 10mm hole:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-butt...AOSw5ZBWH4n g

Any pointers to other sources, please?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 08:40, PeterC wrote:
I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search
terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread;
most I've seen are 10mm and trying to adapt the hole wouldn't be easy in
thin metal. One looks hopeful but, from dimensions given, I suspect that
it's also 10mm hole:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-butt...AOSw5ZBWH4n g

Any pointers to other sources, please?

Surely that large screw on cover/fixing would cover the odd 2mm extra
clearance on the hole. With the old switch are you measuring the size of
the hole or are you measuring the outside diameter of the tread on the
switch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search
terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread;
most I've seen are 10mm and trying to adapt the hole wouldn't be easy in
thin metal. One looks hopeful but, from dimensions given, I suspect that
it's also 10mm hole:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-butt...AOSw5ZBWH4n g

I've had similar quests for small rocker switches and you just have to
persever I fear. They're so cheap that you can risk buying without
too much of a loss. I now have extensive stocks of quite a variety of
small rocker switches! :-)

Good sources other than eBay might be CPC and/or aliExpress (though
you have a bit of a wait then).

You might also consider converting to a small rocker switch instead of
the push button one, I certainly have a lot of 12mm ones. :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 08:40, PeterC wrote:
I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search
terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread;
most I've seen are 10mm and trying to adapt the hole wouldn't be easy in
thin metal. One looks hopeful but, from dimensions given, I suspect that
it's also 10mm hole:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-butt...AOSw5ZBWH4n g

Any pointers to other sources, please?

Believe it or not I got a replacement for this sort of switch from B&Q.
Its not on their website of course but it was on the shelf with all of
the electrical bits and bobs (fuse wire, choc blocks, heat shrink etc).
If you are close to or passing it may be worth a look.

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 October 2020 08:40:51 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search
terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread;

From the data sheet this one from CPC looks to fit a 12mm hole
https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/ab...off/dp/SW05520

Manufacturer: PRO ELEC
Manufacturer Part No: PELR0258
Order Code: SW05520

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 08:40:46 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search
terms to exclude wrong items.

Can be tricky.

Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread;

Diameter or length?

most I've seen are 10mm and trying to adapt the hole wouldn't be easy in
thin metal.

If we are talking diameter here ... and assuming the switch doesn't
screw into a thread in the lamp, would a 3D printed 'washer' or
top-hat tube do it?

One looks hopeful but, from dimensions given, I suspect that
it's also 10mm hole:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-butt...AOSw5ZBWH4n g

Looks likely to be the case, depending on how the rest of the 'box' is
measured.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 08:40, PeterC wrote:
I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search
terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread;
most I've seen are 10mm and trying to adapt the hole wouldn't be easy in
thin metal. One looks hopeful but, from dimensions given, I suspect that
it's also 10mm hole:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-butt...AOSw5ZBWH4n g

Any pointers to other sources, please?

Why not ask the seller for clarification. Alternatives are mentioned at
the bottom of that page on Ebay.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2020 13:26, Roger Mills wrote:
On 24/10/2020 08:40, PeterC wrote:
I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and
one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of
search
terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm
thread;
most I've seen are 10mm and trying to adapt the hole wouldn't be easy in
thin metal. One looks hopeful but, from dimensions given, I suspect that
it's also 10mm hole:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-butt...AOSw5ZBWH4n g

Any pointers to other sources, please?

Why not ask the seller for clarification. Alternatives are mentioned at
the bottom of that page on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFF-ON-Pu...9/132545674195

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search
terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread;
most I've seen are 10mm and trying to adapt the hole wouldn't be easy in
thin metal. One looks hopeful but, from dimensions given, I suspect that
it's also 10mm hole:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Push-butt...AOSw5ZBWH4n g

Any pointers to other sources, please?

Try RS, CPC, Rapid, etc. Vast range of mains rated push button switches of
all types. But look out for a minimum charge and or high P&P on a small
order.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 02:31:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, 24 October 2020 08:40:51 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
I've a couple of desk lamps with the domed push-button switches and one is
rather glued together and getting more fragile.
Eventually I managed to find something on Ebay - tried all sorts of search
terms to exclude wrong items. Needs to have screw terminals and 12mm thread;

From the data sheet this one from CPC looks to fit a 12mm hole
https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/ab...off/dp/SW05520

Manufacturer: PRO ELEC
Manufacturer Part No: PELR0258
Order Code: SW05520

Owain

Yes it does, thank you.
Also the width of body and dia. of thread are the same - I'd forgotten that
they could be that.
I can't be certain of the threads on mine as one would need some possible
destruction to get at (glued-on cloth) and I'm not risking unscrewing the
top incase it won't re-tighten; the other I can't unscrew without holding
the body and that means removing the lamp holder. In an Anglepoise-style
shade that's not easy for big hands.
Many thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll have to try and get a better
idea of the threads. One of the domes is actually 12mm OD, so the thread
could be 10mm.
BTW, I still have a 15/32" inch drill bit for making 12mm holes - it's
rather ancient now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away