Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Cooker connection point

Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 22:15:10 +0100, ARW wrote:

Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

apprentice
Nothing wrong at all, but someone's made the cable with the colours
in the wrong order.
/apprentice

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

Earth not connected?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/10/2020 22:20, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

Earth not connected?

It is connected to something.........

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 22:15:10, ARW wrote:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

I thought the clamp was for cable exiting the connector?

Some illiterate person to fail to associate the earth symbol, L and N
with the appropriate conductor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 15/10/2020 22:15:10, ARW wrote:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

I thought the clamp was for cable exiting the connector?

Some illiterate person to fail to associate the earth symbol, L and N
with the appropriate conductor?

Oh yes! Under the tile gob there's an "N" with the attached earth
wire etc!...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 15/10/2020 22:15:10, ARW wrote:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

I thought the clamp was for cable exiting the connector?

Some illiterate person to fail to associate the earth symbol, L and N
with the appropriate conductor?

Oh yes! Under the tile gob there's an "N" with the attached earth
wire etc!...

I hadn't seen the "N (earth sign) L" labels embossed in the "bakelite", but
my first thought on seeing the photo was "I think I'd have put earth in the
middle so a stray live or neutral wire would be more likely to touch the
earth in the middle rather than touching live to neutral. I suppose it
doesn't matter *too* much as long as the lead from the cooker to the
connection point is connected with matching wire colours, even if the
neutral terminal has been used for the earth, but it is very unconventional
and a definite "fail" if an electrician inspected it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct 2020 at 22:27:32 BST, "ARW" wrote:

On 15/10/2020 22:20, Jimk wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

Earth not connected?

It is connected to something.........

I'm not sure what the two wires connected to the earth screw on the back box
come from, unless the back cable's earth wire gets to the main terminal via
the screw. I suppose that wouldn't be totally wrong, but odd.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 22:15, ARW wrote:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

Well ignoring the whole "all the right wires, just in the wrong order
bit", I kind of get the feeling they have missed the whole point of
having the cable clamp in there...

Hmmm, now shall we clamp the lose dangly wire drooping off to the
cooker, or shall we do the nice feed wire that is buried in masonry, and
hence sure to accidentally get pulled!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 10:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/10/2020 22:15, ARW wrote:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

Well ignoring the whole "all the right wires, just in the wrong order
bit", I kind of get the feeling they have missed the whole point of
having the cable clamp in there...

Hmmm, now shall we clamp the lose dangly wire drooping off to the
cooker, or shall we do the nice feed wire that is buried in masonry, and
hence sure to accidentally get pulled!

....and those stray bits of expanded metal lath romping off in the
direction of what ought to be the live terminal don't inspire confidence
either!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps a blind person such as I did it? I think I'll demand tactile cables
in future.
grin.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 15/10/2020 22:15:10, ARW wrote:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

I thought the clamp was for cable exiting the connector?

Some illiterate person to fail to associate the earth symbol, L and N with
the appropriate conductor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 11:44:17, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Perhaps a blind person such as I did it? I think I'll demand tactile cables
in future.
grin.
Brian

Perhaps leaky gloves for a sensation when you touch live?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/10/2020 22:28, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/10/2020 22:15:10, ARW wrote:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

I thought the clamp was for cable exiting the connector?

That is correct and one of the errors.

Some illiterate person to fail to associate the earth symbol, L and N
with the appropriate conductor?

And what are the consequences of doing this?

Hint - a LN reversal would not actually be a problem as long as the
cooker cable colours matched the colours in the outlet but this is not a
LN reversal.

To avoid any confusion the 6mm earth is terminated to the back box earth
lug and a fly lead is taken to the outlet plate. It's not the way I
would do it but it is allowed.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/10/2020 23:28, NY wrote:
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

You are close but missing something fundamental about the earth terminal
on a cooker outlet plate...

When you say it does not matter too much you are wrong (although a LN
reversal on a outlet plate would not cause a problem).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Oct 2020 at 19:01:21 BST, "ARW" wrote:

On 15/10/2020 23:28, NY wrote:
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

Is the earth terminal bolted to the metal plate, then?

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 17/10/2020 13:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 16 Oct 2020 at 19:01:21 BST, "ARW" wrote:

On 15/10/2020 23:28, NY wrote:
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

Yes and you win.

That is a LE short circuit in the photo.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 17/10/2020 13:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 16 Oct 2020 at 19:01:21 BST, "ARW" wrote:

On 15/10/2020 23:28, NY wrote:
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

Who was it?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Oct 2020 at 15:32:39 BST, "ARW" wrote:

On 17/10/2020 13:58, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 16 Oct 2020 at 19:01:21 BST, "ARW"
wrote:

On 15/10/2020 23:28, NY wrote:
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fredxx Wrote in message:
[...]

You did give us a big clue!

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 18:55:15, ARW wrote:
On 15/10/2020 22:28, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/10/2020 22:15:10, ARW wrote:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

I thought the clamp was for cable exiting the connector?

That is correct and one of the errors.

Some illiterate person to fail to associate the earth symbol, L and N
with the appropriate conductor?

And what are the consequences of doing this?

Hint - a LN reversal would not actually be a problem as long as the
cooker cable colours matched the colours in the outlet but this is not a
LN reversal.

To avoid any confusion the 6mm earth is terminated to the back box earth
lug and a fly lead is taken to the outlet plate. It's not the way I
would do it but it is allowed.

I'm confused, not difficult I know.

The earth terminal has a live conductor fitted. I can't see any earth
wire going to neutral cable.

I can see an incoming earth and neutral behind the foreground cables but
little else to help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2020 00:28:39, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

Ah, I understand the significance, that the earth terminal is connected
to the box, and the live is connected to that.