Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Cooker connection point

On 16 Oct 2020 at 19:01:21 BST, "ARW" wrote:

On 15/10/2020 23:28, NY wrote:
"Jimk" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fredxx Wrote in message:
On 15/10/2020 22:15:10, ARW wrote:
Can anyone spot any problems?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/File:CookerCU.jpg

I thought the clamp was for cable exiting the connector?

Some illiterate person to fail to associate the earth symbol, L and N
with the appropriate conductor?

Oh yes! Under the tile gob there's an "N" with the attached earth
wire etc!...

I hadn't seen the "N (earth sign) L" labels embossed in the "bakelite",
but my first thought on seeing the photo was "I think I'd have put earth
in the middle so a stray live or neutral wire would be more likely to
touch the earth in the middle rather than touching live to neutral. I
suppose it doesn't matter *too* much as long as the lead from the cooker
to the connection point is connected with matching wire colours, even if
the neutral terminal has been used for the earth, but it is very
unconventional and a definite "fail" if an electrician inspected it!

You are close but missing something fundamental about the earth terminal
on a cooker outlet plate...

When you say it does not matter too much you are wrong (although a LN
reversal on a outlet plate would not cause a problem).

Is the earth terminal bolted to the metal plate, then?

--
Roger Hayter